The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hunter prospects and changes

If you were looking at a hunter prospect (prices $25k and under) would you expect them to have their changes or prefer to put them on yourself?

How old are they? and $25k and under is a big range. Towards the high end of the price range on an average prospect, I would expect a change. With a super fancy one that has a lot of other things going for him, towards the high end I might not. Four and under I would not want to see a change. Five maybe.

What I would not want to see was a horse who was rushed into making changes before they were ready training wise. I do not want to see a change that has been put on a horse by getting him super unbalanced and throwing him into it. I want to see a horse that has been trained how to properly do the change or at least has the groundwork set out for the change-- lateral movements and really balanced and coming under from the behind.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

changes have a lot more to do with how long they have been under saddle rather than price. 25K 2 year olds? changes are not expected. 10K 7 year old actively showing? changes expected.

But then I fall into the camp that believes all horses, if reasonably sound, have a change. It's left to the human element to either reinforce their natural ability or to just screw them up completely. I really don't like riding the latter, regardless of price.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    changes have a lot more to do with how long they have been under saddle rather than price. 25K 2 year olds? changes are not expected. 10K 7 year old actively showing? changes expected.

But then I fall into the camp that believes all horses, if reasonably sound, have a change. It's left to the human element to either reinforce their natural ability or to just screw them up completely. I really don't like riding the latter, regardless of price.
    Agree - my trainer can put changes on any horse, ANY horse.

If I'm looking at a three-year-old that's been under saddle 6 months, no, I don't expect it to have changes. A horse under saddle a year and jumping small courses, yes, it should. You may have to set it up, but it should change back to front.

I don't think price has anything to do with it...

We have 2 horses (both ottb) that would make great hunter prospects. One at $12500 and the other at $25k. However, most of the time they land on the correct lead. but we have had most potential buyers ask if they have a change. They both have a lot of dressage background and are naturally very balanced. In the past, it has been split by hunter trainers (from other horses that we were selling) that they dont want the change so that they can do it themselves. The $25k is a 5 yo and the $12500 is 7. they have not shown in the hunter ring but rather Combined tests and some horse trials, but fancy enough for hunters.

I guess i was wondering if it is worth pursuing putting the changes on them. They are both more than ready in their training.

If you're looking at selling to an ammie audience, then yes, changes would be an asset.

For the ages and prices? Yeah, I would expect a change.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

For what you describe, especially the $25k OTTB, yes-- it better have a change. And some show miles with good ribbons. Not at the As or anything, but at least have proven itself at local hunter shows.

I'd expect the same out of the other one as well as a 7 year old, even with the lower price tag (I assume this one is not as fancy?).

Hey, the more I get for my money, the better.

If the changes are well trained, not unbalanced, not rushed into and smooth, then why not?
    If you don't know how to teach them properly, better let someone with experience do so. A horse with bad changes can be difficult to correct and it might come back to haunt you from time to time...

Why not hire a reputable pro to start them out for you? If changes will get you a sale, then it's worth the investment...IMHO...
    Over what hill? Where? When? I don\'t remember any hill....

www.freewebs.com/caballerizadelviso

In the camp that believes they are born with a change and should show they have at least a clue about them from the get go. Maybe not polished and balanced with then rider but it should be there, really not something that you can manufacter.

Function of good conformation and quality movement they can do just fine in the field, all we have to do is not screw them up.

So, I expect the fundamentals of a change on any horse destined for the show ring in any price range. Not rocket science to expect them to keep their feet underneath themselves.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    In the camp that believes they are born with a change and should show they have at least a clue about them from the get go.
    I always had horses that I could 'put' a change on, until I got one who didn't care in the field whether she was on the right lead, counter lead around the corner, or cross-cantering till the cows came home. The changes are coming but, man, what a LOT of work.

elizabeth04 Guest

I don't think the price has as much to do with it as the age of the horse and its experience, and the ability of the rider who is buying the horse. Horses at the barn that are for sale that have a show record, have a change, or they are not for sale. Horses that are prospects-i.e, have not shown or just getting started under saddle may or may not have a change depending on how long they have been in training and if they come to it "naturally". I would never sell a horse to a novice to intermediate rider that did not have a lead change unless they were keeping their horse with a trainer. Advanced riders have their own thoughts about it, I taught all my own horses their lead changes, but they were all bought young or bred by me.
    Look at the overall package, and what you feel that you can do comfortably on your own-that will probably be your best guide.