The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default No more Intermediate at Champagne Run?

My trainer is convinced that Champagne Run usually has an intermediate division, but I just checked the omnibus and it seems to only offer prelim.. is this correct? i'm grasping at straws somewhat because I really really need an intermediate to run and i can't find any remotely near area III in the near future..

Late June, Surefire H.T. in Purcellville, VA offers Intermediate. Don't know anything about the course. Closes June 9.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by glfprncs View Post
    Late June, Surefire H.T. in Purcellville, VA offers Intermediate. Don't know anything about the course. Closes June 9.
    Thanks, I saw that.. its about eleven hours away from me though, and I will not be able to go with anyone else from my barn.

Champagne Run does usually offer Intermediate. Have you called the organizers?

Champagne Run dropped Intermediate last year. At the time, it sounded as if it were just for last year. Now it looks like a permanent change. Damn shame if you ask me.

Could be because Champagne Run is the same weekend as Maui Jim.

damn =(... were the entries very low last year? i am rather surprised, poplar ran its intermediate division this feb with only 2 riders in the division and the IP in Jan with only five. so can anyone think of any events in the south east that offer and intermediate sometime in the next few months?

They cancelled the Intermediate division last year long before the opening date. They also were the weekend after Maui Jim last year. It is already quite a large show, maybe they decided it was pointless to run the extra Intermediate division when a lot of people chose not to run due to the really hard ground that time of year.

I think the hard ground has a lot to do with it--it is always BRUTAL there in July, footing-wise. Maui Jim aerovates, so do Hunters Run and Richland. People are voting with their (horses') feet in this case, I think.
    Click here before you buy.

Running Intermediate requires a XC CD licensed at that level. I'm not sure but I think the XC CD is required to be there during the running of XC, please cirrect me if I'm wrong. Laura Beaver is the XC CD for the 2 HT that Maggie Wright runs at KHP with Mary Fike being the XC CD for all the others run at KHP.

Along with what deltawave said about the footing (all venues running Intermediate and above are reviewed at the USEA Annual Meeting) I would think that the expense of having 2 CD's might have made a difference especially if the entries were low.
    1. Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.

River Glen is July 31

The XC designer does not have to be present.
    Gwen Dean
    Area II YR Coordinator
    Lost Hounds HT Secretary