The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: How many times is your horse moved each year (on average)

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zero - vet and farrier come here and we don't show

11 8.46%
  • One to nine - we mostly stay at home

25 19.23%
  • Ten to nineteen - we don't get out too much

20 15.38%
  • Twenty to twenty-nine - that's hunting season

19 14.62%
  • Thirty to thirty-nine - that's just some showing and clinics

24 18.46%
  • Over forty - we're travelin' fools

43 33.08%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How many times is your horse 'moved' each year?

Tangential to the NAIS discussion - how many times does your horse move off/on his farm each year.

If you go to a show once a year then he moves twice - once to the show and once back home.

A trailride off the property - two moves.

A trip to the vet - two.

So if you showed three times, took two clinics at a different facility and took him to the vet once - 12 moves.

Multiple choices are allowed -- one per horse
    Last edited by SGray; May. 20, 2009 at 03:32 PM. Reason: clarification re poll
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Gosh, I don't know...maybe 150? Between trailrides, lessons and schooling, we leave home a lot.

Why is this interesting? Guess I should go see the thread referenced. I'm confused.

relevant re nais rules that you report to some government entity every time you move your horse

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

When I have a horse that's showing, 20-29x in an average year. Most of my horses, though, haven't left the farm in years.

Well, during foxhunting season I hunt 4 days a week 6 months of the year. Plus I usually go out once a week for a lesson. NOw that we aren't hunting, I just had 5 days off and trailered off every one of them, for trail rides, xc schooling and lessons. And that is pretty normal for me.
    I'm not doing NAIS until they make it mandatory.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Probably 20-29...8 or 9 shows, plus bringing horse to school in the fall and bringing horse home in the spring.

Never really thought about this before. I either have greenies or show horses that are going to clinics & shows. Either way, lots of trailering. Sometimes the greenies get more since I purposely take them in the trailer (trail rides, local shows, schooling, vet) so they'll get used to going places.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

For shows, etc. 24-30. If you count the times I walk him down the road to cool him off, definitely over 40. It does count if they leave under their own power?

This past year starting 6/1/08 - four times b/c he was laid up and made two trips to the vet (one under his own power).
    The Evil Chem Prof

One horse is trailered 1-2 times per week (on avg.) to nearby trails. And 3-6 times per year to endurance rides. The other leaves the property less than 10 times per year.

does the 1/4 mile down the road to use the neighbor's arena count?
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

We stay put, we have a lovely ring and plenty of trails. Oh and I'm to broke to show.
    “It's about the horse and that's it.” - GM

!! is the new .

Pretty much weekly ... to lessons (when I can afford it, have a sound horse and am sound myself), to show (when I can afford it and have the time), to use my elder mare to teach on at the lesson place where I work, to work the other horse there for convenience's sake, to be demo ponies for massage and saddle-fitting seminars, etc., etc., etc.

And here I've always considered myself such a homebody ...
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

4-Drill team practice every saturday
    Chiropractor every 8 weeks for 2 horses, different weeks
    Since 1/1/09
    13 shows
    4 x-country schools
    3 trail rides

I'm off the property 2-4 times a week most weeks of the year. Lessons, trails, meeting up with friends, beach, shows.....

honestly I'd be lost with out my trailer ! hopefully nais will never become mandatory because it would be a real pain!

I might take the cake on this one. Let's just limit this to my two upper level eventers, both of which I have had for 3 years. Both were acquired living in NY. Within a month, both has moved to FL w/me. We changed farms twice in FL, went to shows every other weekend, and shipped to dressage lessons, clinics, xc schoolings and gallops weekly. After FL we went back to the same farm in NY for a month, then moved to Delaware for 4 months where we resumed the showing schedule, tho to a slightly lesser degree. Atleast two trips a week though. After DE, we moved back to a different part of NY, moved farms twice, and showed consistantly until November. In November, moved to TN with a month off til next trip to FL. Showing schedule resumed in FL, moved to probably three different farms. From FL, back to NY, showing, moving farms as finances facilitated. Probably 30 shows and all kinds of side trips and 4 different farms. This winter, back to TN for a month, then to GA, then to SC for three months with a full showing schedule and now in KY. I would say just in the first 4 months of this year, my guys have moved...gosh probably 300 times. *readies plate and fork* can I have my cake now. Pretty pretty please.
    "Gallop as if you were to die tomorrow, jump as if you were to live forever."

WOW! olympicdreams04 -- I think you're going to be tough to beat

Vaiers a great deal I have some brood mares in their teens that were born here and have never been off the place. Have other horses we show and they get hauled a great deal. Others pretty much everything in between.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Does a ride that starts on my property, but goes onto someone else's property count? or only if they go in a trailer?
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I was wondering if it counted if your horse got out and took a trip to the neighbors. My uncle's old horse was found at least twice a week nosing through one or another's neighbors' trash.

My mare, I try to go somewhere once a week in the summer, average probably three times a month for June, July and August, then it tapers off....maybe in the 30-something range.

Default Average 3 times a month

Twice for lessons, once for a show.

Occasionally more than three times a month - special clinic.

Once he's more comfortable on the trails, probably add another day a month to go to new places to trail ride, to ride with friends, etc.