The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Calling all Draft and Draft Cross Owners

I have a draft cross and am considering adding fat to his diet, especially after reading up on EPSM. http://www.ruralheritage.com/vet_clinic/epsm.htm How many of you feed a high fat diet? Do you feed this because your horse has EPSM or as an EPSM preventative? What feeds or supplements are you using?

My Percheron has EPSM and I feed a higher fat diet.

--Soaked molasses-free beet pulp
    --EquiPride
    --Cool Calories & Canola Oil
    --16:8 Loose Minerals
    --Extra Se/E
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Default I feed it as a preventative...

My 5 year old Suffolk/TB gelding gets 4 cups of oil in a pound of beet pulp. He also has access to low-calorie (non seeded, non irrigated) pasture, and gets about 15 pounds of grass hay a day. His only other supplement is CA Trace Minerals.

Here he is last weekend... http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...07_6039294.jpg

The baby (Belgian/Percheron yearling) does not currently get oil, she's on pasture and grass Hay. I will probably add fat to her diet later, when she's working.

ChocoMare how much of each are you feeding?

Mrs. Cowboy your boy is cute! How do you manage keeping the weight gain down?

I'm so happy to hear about this cause my BO thought I was crazy to want to up the fat. He's the only drafty in a TB barn and having some hind end issues.

Fed once a day:

--Soaked molasses-free beet pulp -- 2 pounds dry weight
    --EquiPride -- 1 Cup (when an EquiLix is available, otherwise 2 cups)
    --Cool Calories & Canola Oil (2 cups Cool Calories, 1 Cup oil - she wouldn't eat 2 cups of oil)
    --16:8 Loose Minerals (2 oz. - she weights 2,000 pounds)
    --Extra Se/E (1 oz.)

Dry lotted 8 months out of the year - she's metabolic too from 11 years of a high sugar/starch diet (undiagnosed EPSM alllll that time by previous/multiple owners)

Fescue/Bermuda mix hay - free choice. Since she did not go fully insulin resistant, I have not had to soak it)
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Every time I try to add fat he just gets... fat No EPSM signs yet. Half percheron.

The draft horse rescue in MD I volunteer at gives a "high fat" mixture they get from the co-op in Frederick (dunno if it's available anywhere else) to the EPSM or at-risk for EPSM horses.

And I figure this might help too: http://www.draftresource.com/EPSM/Dr...SM_Report.html There's some discussion in there under "What exactly is this diet?" about what you can do to provide the proper amount of fat.

Default Hay

I have a PMU who is a TB/Perch/QH cross, more TB than anything. He does not show any signs of EPSM so I've kept him on TC Complete and 1st cut NY grass hay. He is also on pasture during the day. I'm glad I understand the disease a wee bit better due to this forum as I can be vigilant with regards to symptoms.
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Here are my "scientific" (hah! sample size of TWO!) findings --

Two draft cross mares, both turning 6 this year.

Ginny -- always a bit clumsy, poor princess. Has trouble holding a hind foot up for the farrier without losing her balance. Tends to pudginess and poor topline.

Imp -- very coordinated and uncannily nimble for her size. Can turn on dime and leave you change. Could stand on one leg if the motivation were sufficient.

Put both of them on an EPSM diet. Ginny LOST weight, tucked up, improved her topline. Farrier noticed a difference in coordination after 2-3 months on diet. Imp? She got FAT. No difference in appearance or performance except for the fat.

My conclusion? Ginny has EPSM, Imp does not. Imp is back on a smidgen of pellets in order to hold her vit/min supplement.

What I feed:
    - Alfalfa pellets and beet pulp (molasses free), soaked
    - 1 to 1-1/2 cups canola oil
    - 2 oz. Nutra-flax
    - Complete vit/min supplement (have never figured out whether I should add more VitE/Sel)

No precise quantity of the soaked pellets because my goal is just to hold the oil and have the mixture not very "oily". I know I should give 2 cups of oil a day and sometimes I do, but more often than not she gets the above mix once a day, and 1-1/2 cups of oil is all I've put into a single meal. I still see the improvement.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

I have a half Percheron and half QH mare. So far I havent had to do much as far as feedings for EPSM. She has not be diagnosed for it either. I have been able to balance her wiehgt realy well for the past few years that we had her. She was a fatty watty when we first got her. We finally found what works. Both of my horses are on pasture with free access to thier stalls and to water and etc. They get fed Equine Essentials (Now Enrich something or another) about 1 3/4 lbs a day. They have a constant salt block and a Sweet Pro block during the winter months. When Jellly seems to be getting on the pudgy side I have to stall her or keep her in the riding arena. I usulay put her in the arena so that she can see and still socialize with Danner on the other side of the fence. Right now I have her in the arena because of the richness of the grass at the moment. Danner is not affected by it. Though Danner is a fairly decent keeper (no special foods or anything of that sort) he has a good top line and what have you I still watch him closely. Jelly Bean is a Sherman tank and always has been but thats just because of her breeding. So far so good.
    Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Don't poke the Bear!

You guys are awesome! You have given me a lot to talk over my BO. I figure I can increase the fat some and see what happens. Thanks.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    Here are my "scientific" (hah! sample size of TWO!) findings --

Two draft cross mares, both turning 6 this year.
    Well, if three helps your sample, mine also is the "turn on a dime and leave you change" type and any effort to add anything to his diet other than hay makes him hot AND fat. Triple Crown Complete made him insane.

Three draft crosses here:

1 clyde/paint (tends to get plump very easily)...2 oz Nutra Flax, 1 cup alfalfa pellets and Mega-Cell

1 clyde/TB...2 oz Nutra Flax, 2 cups Black Oil Sunflower
    Seeds, 1/2 lb. alfalfa pellets and Mega-Cell

1 app/perch...4 oz Nutra Flax, 1 cup BOSS, 2 lbs. alfalfa pellets, 2 lbs. SafeChoice and Mega-Cell (he's 4 and still growing)

I like the Nutra Flax for the Omega-3s and the BOSS for the Omega-6s. No EPSM...I feed hay 4x a day in the winter and pasture in the summer.

I have a full Percheron mare and she is on 10% sweet feed from Booth's Feed. Her coat is good, she is bright eyed and bushy tailed and I have not had a problem with her on this. She gets free choice orchard grass round bale and gets hoof supplements as well as MSM for her joints. Her weight is good, she is 17H tall and has always worked in harness or under saddle willingly. I tried giving her oil but she hated it, would eat anything that was not in the oil and would leave the rest so I stopped doing that for her.

I used to do the oil thing for coats but gave up when I didnt realy see a big difference between being on it or not. However they are well fed and well groomed, shiney and happy and I say that is enough for my two poop machines.
    Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Don't poke the Bear!

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    Imp -- very coordinated and uncannily nimble for her size. Can turn on dime and leave you change. Could stand on one leg if the motivation were sufficient.
    I have one of these too.
    3/4 Belgian
    She is on pasture 24/7 and eats 1 lb. of Enrich 32 twice a day.

I had a Belgian/QH cross who lost weight and worked better with a simple EPSM diet: grass hay, Safe Choice and BOSS.

Full percheron. Alfalfa hay am and pm and alfalfa-oat pellets with 2.5 cups of canola oil mixed in. She is athletic, has great stamina, and her weight is pretty much perfect. She has never been confirmed with EPSM but the oil helps her keep weight and stay shiney.