The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Benadryl Usage for Allergies

I am debating about trying Benadryl for my horse who sufferes from terrible allergies due to pollen. His issues are respiratory in nature as he sneezes allot and headshakes. I had him allergy tested in which he tested positive to various tree & grass pollens. The grass pollens really gets to him and the poor guy sneezes while grazing allot.

Anyway for those who have tried Benadryl do you keep your horses on it for long term or just for short periods of time. Also, does Benadryl seem to relieve symptoms quickly?

What I'm thinking is to only use it for short periods of time as I can't see trying to keep him on it all summer. I also have him on chinese herbs and trying grapeseed powder as well. Do you think I could add some Benadryl as well? We have a show in a couple of weeks so I thought maybe putting him on Benadryl for the show. By the way I only show local and there is no drug testing at these shows.

I have been using it on and off for the past month or so with some success. Horse was covered in hives of varying sizes. I was giving him 15 pills twice a day, he is almost 18 hands. I did back him off to ten but the results were not quite as good.

I did talk to my vet about the idea of him living on it, and she said it would not pose any problems. And she also said worse case scenario he can also be treated with dex at the same time. She also said that Benadryl seems to work better and is cheaper than hydroxizine.

I am waiting for my grapeseed to arrive.

try thomas one fly repellent on sticky works wonders for horses with allegies
    both my copd horse and my sweet-itch now use it and both have shown they tens times happier this year allready -- it works

I've used it to treat severe hives. It doesn't work as quickly as dexamethasone but it does work. The vet Rx for my horse (a 14.2H Arab) was 20 capsules twice a day (or 10X the maximum adult human dose for a 1,000# horse). Note: that's not carved in stone and really, any use in horses is off label.

It should also be noted mammals quickly (within a few weeks) become refractory to most antihistamines so they really aren't very effective for long term use anyway (and the biggest drawback to cyproheptadine for treating PPID). If I were you, I'd try it out some time BEFORE the show to see if they'll be effective.

Quote Originally Posted by rcloisonne View Post
    If I were you, I'd try it out some time BEFORE the show to see if they'll be effective.
    I have a lesson this Saturday so I will start him on it tonight through Saturday and see if it helps him. Hopefully the Benadryl will help him.

I would love to use it for lessons/shows - my fingers are crossed it will give him some relief!!!

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I've used it for hives. 14 pills crushed, twice daily, for a 15.2 horse around 1100lbs. Warning--when crushed they apparently taste vile, so I would syringe them rather than top-dress.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    I've used it for hives. 14 pills crushed, twice daily, for a 15.2 horse around 1100lbs. Warning--when crushed they apparently taste vile, so I would syringe them rather than top-dress.
    My horse eats the tablets whole, didn't care from day one.

I've used it on a short term basis and it worked well. Had my vet write a prescription for it and my pharmacist made it up in a liquid form for me...flavored it too. I just measured it into an open end syringe and then squirted it in my horse's mouth like I would wormer paste. Turned out to be about the same price and much less effort than crushing pills etc.
    "It's not a mistake if you knew what you were doing was wrong."

I don't have a problem crushing the pills since I use a coffee grinder but what I didn't like is getting all the little pills out of the foil thing. Ugh - what a pain. My SO bought 2 boxes of them at the grocery store tonight for me to try. If it works I will see about buying larger quantity at Sams or Wal-Mart.

I put the pills in beet pulp which I love mixing stuff in B.P.

Have you tried TriHist for the allergies? I have used Benadryl for allergic hives but never with respiratory involvment. TriHist is a godsend for one horse with COPD we have here who can't be on Dex.
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

Default i was told that antihistamines don't work well on skin allergies

i've never put a horse on benadryl but i have a dog w/ severe allergies and at one point we put her on benadryl. took her off after a week. she became a total vegetable. her head was dropped, there was no spark to her eye, she lost interest in everything. like a stuffed animal. it was awful! i wonder if it affects horses in similar fashion?
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by marta View Post
    i wonder if it affects horses in similar fashion?
    Not in my experience. I've used many times at fairly high doses on two Arabs, both under 1,000#, and did not see any signs of sedation at all (and I was expecting to). YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Acres View Post
    I don't have a problem crushing the pills since I use a coffee grinder but what I didn't like is getting all the little pills out of the foil thing. Ugh - what a pain. My SO bought 2 boxes of them at the grocery store tonight for me to try. If it works I will see about buying larger quantity at Sams or Wal-Mart.

I put the pills in beet pulp which I love mixing stuff in B.P.
    They have a generic at Costco. "Kirkland Allergy Medicine." The bottle I have is 400 minitabs (25mg diphenhydramine per pill)....don't recall the cost.
    Cold Spring Farm
    German and Arabian-related GOV sporthorses

https://www.facebook.com/groups/426884770673419/

A friend of mine used it for her mare when she had a bad case of hives. She said it made her horse very dopey, and unsafe to ride. So it can affect them that way.

I'm battling summertime allergies myself with my mare, and so far the only thing that helped her is dex. Her problems are respiratory, without the head shaking and sneezing. I never tried benedryl, but I guess it might be worth a shot, though I'm not sure if it would really help. Tri-Hist did absolutely nothing for her, and neither did the glenbuteron syrup.

Let us know if it helps your horse, since he has the same type of allergies as my mare. I'd just like to see her breath easily again, let alone ride her!

Quote Originally Posted by Hailey View Post
    I'm battling summertime allergies myself with my mare, and so far the only thing that helped her is dex. Her problems are respiratory, without the head shaking and sneezing. I never tried benedryl, but I guess it might be worth a shot, though I'm not sure if it would really help. Tri-Hist did absolutely nothing for her, and neither did the glenbuteron syrup.

Let us know if it helps your horse, since he has the same type of allergies as my mare. I'd just like to see her breath easily again, let alone ride her!
    Just curious how much Dex do you use and for how long?

So, far the Benadryl hasn't helped yet but he's only been on it since last night and I started him with only 10 tables at 25mg/per tablet. This morning and tonight he got 15 pills each mean. I plan on riding him again in the morning (providing it doesn't rain) and see if he's any better.

The chinese herbs help alot but he's still very sneezy so I'm hoping the Benadryl will help with that. But I am debating about talking to my vet about using Dex for short periods of time as well.

Oh yea, Tri-Hist did nothing for my horse.

I crush the pills and mix in applesauce - fill large nose syringe and administer like a paste wormer.

Well I rode him again this morning and he sure wasn't any better, maybe even worse. He normally sneezes for the first 5 minutes then it's not so bad. This morning he was sneezy and headshaking before we even started. He wasn't horrible but I know there wasn't any improvement with the Benadryl. I almost think he was worse so I didn't give him the Benadryl this morning.

Oh, well...back to the drawing board.

Quote Originally Posted by theoldgreymare View Post
    Have you tried TriHist for the allergies? TriHist is a godsend for one horse with COPD we have here who can't be on Dex.

Just be careful with the TriHist, they *can* develop temporary anhydrosis.

In answer re: the dex dosage - I got it from the vet as a powder, Azium is the brand name, in 10 mg. packets. I did 6 doses of it, one packet every other day, so it's a very low dose, but very effective. I'm going to call my vet Tuesday to get some for my mare.

Another thing you might consider is spirulena. Some people have had excellent results with it using it for their horses. Horse Journal did one of their tests with it, using it on horses with heaves and allergies, including seasonal headshakers, and got excellent results with it. Only one 20-something pony didn't respond, all the other horses did respond well to it. You can buy it in bulk powder form on line pretty cheaply, but it is a very fine powder and it tends to fly all over the place. Someone was mixing it in with beet pulp. If you board, it can just about be impossible to use it unless your willing to do it yourself. You can't just put it into a plastic baggy with other supplements. You can get it in tablet form from Springtime Inc., but it is pricier, but a lot easier. You give 40 grams a day, divided into 2 servings. With the tablets, that's 10 tabs per feeding, or 20 a day.

Good luck! It's pretty darn frustrating to find something that works sometimes!

I have the pharmacy order me a large bottle of the 50 mg capsules. It's pretty cheap and avail without a script. My vet recommended trying 50 to 100 mg daily, and could go up from there if needed. The 50 doesn't seem to help, but the 100 kept her symptom free. The capsules are easy, you just break them open over the food. It is a forbidden substance, so even if you are only doing schooling shows, if the show is governed by USEF, you could be fined +++.
    Don't toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!