The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Calling all Dressage saddle enablers

Don't flame me - but my dream saddle is a Maestoso by Stubben. I have sat at the tack store in this saddle for prob. 4 -5 years now. Did you ever just have something that just feels RIGHT. That is this saddle. I love it, BUT before I buy it I wanted to ask a few questions.

I have always ridden with a longer leg. Now with 30 + years of riding, well the knee just doesn't curl up like it used to. My current ride needs a straighter flap saddle. So my current seigfried won't work. They have a straight flap seigfried that could work BUT there is only $50.00 dif. at the tack shop.

Now I may never show dressage, may show the local shows on occasion, but wondered if I would get counted off for showing in a dressage saddle. This also opens the door of maybe going into dressage down the road. Mostly I would buy this saddle for the comfort factor of the horse and myself and pleasure riding with a show once or twice a year (we're talking english pleasure, pos. half arab eng. pleaure). I guess its the leap of not being a wuss and just going out and spending ALL THAT MONEY. The horse def. one way or the other needs a new saddle its just the choice of buying a dressage saddle or the seigfried. Can't have both.

The saddle fitter offered to come fit my horse for me, so I def. wouldn't buy the M. without it fitting him, but just tell me I should go out and buy this saddle!
    The View from Here

Well... I say NO... But thats because i sat in that darn thing and hated it instantly... he he he...

However, i say do what makes you happy. If you get something else, you'll always wish you had gotten the maestoso. Its a big chunk to fork out, but nothing is better than having that saddle that you sit in and go Ahhhhh.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

It's all about what exactly you're talking about 'showing' in...

If it's something as fussy as rated Hunters or breed shows... well, sadly, it's a fashion show and you need the right stuff.

If it's little local round-and-round... NO ONE CARES. I've won in dressage saddles, I've lost in the perfect "A" acceptable tack. (hell, I won in my circa 1970 acceptable tack! )

If you love it and it fits the horse, DO IT. Life is short. $50 is what, a couple three hours of OT? An extra shift? A week's groceries? (well, for ME, not for a family, obviously ) eat some Ramen or sign up for some OT.

I am always madly infatuated with the WRONG saddles. I guess it could be worse, I guess it could be men...

But to have a saddle that BOTH horse and I agree on, at the same time, that truly fits us both... And that I can afford? Well, that would be probably the start of The Second Coming, it would be so miraculous. If you don't *have* to 'make do.' DON'T.

Without being totally hedonistic, life is short. Riding careers are shorter. Horses aren't sound forever, colic happens, accidents happen... Don't *waste* precious time 'waiting for someday' or waiting for something nebulous. If you are able to do it, do it.

Hi, my name is Pintopiaffe and I am a bitaholic, tack whore, and enabler...
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Quote Originally Posted by RU2U View Post
    Don't flame me - but my dream saddle is a Maestoso by Stubben. I have sat at the tack store in this saddle for prob. 4 -5 years now. Did you ever just have something that just feels RIGHT. That is this saddle. I love it, BUT before I buy it I wanted to ask a few questions.

I have always ridden with a longer leg. Now with 30 + years of riding, well the knee just doesn't curl up like it used to. My current ride needs a straighter flap saddle. So my current seigfried won't work. They have a straight flap seigfried that could work BUT there is only $50.00 dif. at the tack shop.

Now I may never show dressage, may show the local shows on occasion, but wondered if I would get counted off for showing in a dressage saddle. This also opens the door of maybe going into dressage down the road. Mostly I would buy this saddle for the comfort factor of the horse and myself and pleasure riding with a show once or twice a year (we're talking english pleasure, pos. half arab eng. pleaure). I guess its the leap of not being a wuss and just going out and spending ALL THAT MONEY. The horse def. one way or the other needs a new saddle its just the choice of buying a dressage saddle or the seigfried. Can't have both.

The saddle fitter offered to come fit my horse for me, so I def. wouldn't buy the M. without it fitting him, but just tell me I should go out and buy this saddle!
    Well, I'm an enabler, cause I LOFF the Maestoso. Extremely comfortable and Stubbens last forever. Sadly, I own a Kieffer Wien DL because they were the saddle de jour at my barn before the Maestoso's came out and I always loved the Kieffer Wien DL. Next saddle will be a WIDE Maestoso .

Ditto everything pintopiaffe said though too.
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

Do it!! hehe. I'm the "saddle whore" according to the other people at my barn, haha! I just got a Stubben Roxanne (LOVE IT). I went into the tack shop.. "Oh, I don't want to spend more than $700" couldn't find anything for that price in an 18" seat, so I somehow ended up paying $1350!

I'm probably the queen of showing in the wrong tack, but I only ever did little local stuff, and I was never counted off for it. I'd say your and your horse's comfort is the #1 priority though (IMO). Have you put it on your horse yet? Sometimes saddles to feel very different when it goes on your horse vs on the little fake horse barrel at the tack shop.

In my recent saddle shopping experience I found that very often what feels fantastic in the shop is quite uncomfortable when it's on a moving horse.
    Don't buy unless you can have it for a week's trial period!

Wink

I agree with Mallard--try it before you buy it! If it's any consolation, I sit in the Stubben in the local tack shop every time I go in also...just to feel the biomex seat. But I'm really happy with my saddles and the stubben is too short for me. Good luck!

The saddle shop told me "go ahead and take a couple for a week and just let us know which one you want to keep!" Friendly helpful people aren't they?

My birthdays in Aug. I'm thinkin the hubby has just enough time to save up for it!

Thank you enablers!
    The View from Here

I'd say snatch is up if you like it, or you might kick yourself to death... BUT can you even show it in English Pleasure? you might want to check the rules first before you show up in your dressage saddle. I show dressage and Hunter Pleasure and I have to have a hunt saddle for the Hunter Pleasure classes. Since I prefer to school my horse in the dressage saddle, the hunt saddle is used for the show only.

If you show only once or twice, you may be able to borrow a saddle seat saddle for your English Pleasure but again, the feel between saddle seat saddle and dressage saddle is very different and you might feel very awkard when you ride in a saddle seat saddle.

Gloria- not SS "english pleasure - typical huntseat. english pleasure (I used to show his arab mama hunter arab and I'm afraid that is what I was thinking of. I understand the confusion of a 1/2 arab going ss, but he's just not that type of horse.

This month we are planning on going to a few shows and I'm going to check out the competition. We are deep in qtr horse country. With an arab/and. cross we are going to stick out like a sore thumb anyway. My boy screams dressage horse just walking out of the barn so maybe it won't look odd anyway. A dressage saddle may be the least of my worries
    The View from Here

Is there any way you could look for the saddles you want used and have the fitter reflock them to fit? That way maybe you could get both?

I would never base a tack decision on it's ride 2x a year (ie the shows)
    if the saddle puts you in a good position and you are comfortable in it (and the fitter can get it to be the same for your horse. i'd call you an idiot if you didnt buy it.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble