The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Black or white horse fencing?

I assumed white was the easiest to see, but I've seen/heard/read a lot of people getting black because it stays the cleanest (or looks the cleanest at least). I guess I've never actually been at a barn with black fencing. Are there any problems with them seeing it? We'll be doing a 4 or 5" centaur board on the top with 4 or 5 strands of coated wire underneath. We're in Indiana so I'm not sure if moisture or mildew would be a problem on the vinyl. What do you have and why?

I like black. It stays cleaner longer than white and in my opinion looks better. No problems with horses seeing it.

Mine are dark brown...

I prefer the look of white fencing... but I haven't noticed a difference with being able to see white vs. black vs. brown fencing.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

They both fade to gray, white just does it faster. I personally like black better, especially if you are using electric tape. The white electric tape looks like a clothesline gone beserk.

1 members found this post helpful.

White also has the drawback of visually chopping your place up. If you have a smallish property, you might not want to make it look even smaller by using a white fence.

A dark color (unless you live in the white sands area of NM) will let the eye reach and the mind will "think" the space is bigger and more open than it is.

And like somebody said about the "clothesline gone berzerk", on white, EVERY LITTLE deviation from "absoutely perfectly straight" will stick out like a dozen sore thumbs.

One 4" or 5" fencing, horses won't have any trouble seeing it either way unless their vision is defective, in which case the color won't matter anyway.

Horseguard fencing talks about a farm that researched fence colors in England. Supposedly horses can see green and brown better then white. I'm assuming that if they can see brown better then white they should be able to see black better then white as well.

http://www.horseguardfence.com/shop_intus/cat20.php

I ended up going with a brown fence. I love the more natural look, the fact that it doesn't show every tiny little divot, and the fact that dirt doesn't really show up on it. However my fence is horseguard tape. I personally would be concerned about a vinyl type fence fading (don't know if centaur is fade resistant).

Good luck with your fence.

Default Brown here, too

We chose the brown based on that same suggestion from Horseguard-- that horses can see it the best. It does look nice. When we first put it up, quite a number of horse owners (and also a donkey owner) stopped to ask us what kind of fence it was, because it looked good.

White fencing gets green scunge on it in the first year here. We have dark brown - if it is good enough for the race horse farms in Kentucky, it is good enough for us.

Thanks! I'll definitely have to think about changing my mind. I've always liked the pure white look, but I guess I don't like scrubbing fences either! We do have small acreage that's TONS of road frontage. We'll be doing a flex board on the top with the white or black lightning below, so it's either white or black for us. I think I would like brown better though... a little less harsh than black.

=dmalbone;4106084] What do you have and why?[
    for me, black fence says a real farm and white fence says "subdivision" farm...
    what can I say?? years of Kentucky Black have warped me...

best
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    for me, black fence says a real farm and white fence says "subdivision" farm...
    what can I say?? years of Kentucky Black have warped me...

best
    I can see that. I've just always been around plain 'ol wood. I guess I'm sheltered!

Ooooo, I just saw there is brown "white lightning". I didn't know that!

I have the Centaur white and after a few years, it really faded and got pitted, like those cheap white plastic chairs. I do love the Centaur for ease and maintenance, but wish they had the darker colors when I installed it. Maybe we will try the brown stain for fencing on it, can't make it look any worse, right?

black or dark brown.

Black
    Love our four board black fence by Penrod!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Equine Lady View Post
    I have the Centaur white and after a few years, it really faded and got pitted, like those cheap white plastic chairs. I do love the Centaur for ease and maintenance, but wish they had the darker colors when I installed it. Maybe we will try the brown stain for fencing on it, can't make it look any worse, right?
    Thanks for the info. Glad to hear a reason to avoid the white.

Our wood board perimeter fencing is dark brown stain and we also have the lovely Horse Guard dark brown tape for pastures. We have had zero problems with visibility, regardless of season and surroundings. I know many farms that paint their wood fencing black or dark brown because it needs to be repainted less often than white. I would imagine they have no problem with visibility either. If you prefer the black Centaur, go for it!
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

We have about 1500' of white 4-board fencing around our property.

DH begs me to let him paint it black or dark brown every day.

Considering how terrible about half of the fence looks right now, I'm thinking that I'm going to relent and go dark. MUCH easier to maintain!

Black!
    White fences belong around cemeteries.