The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mine That Bird - Is his style going to go against him

Looking beyond the Belmont, since so many Grade 1's and Grade 2's often are lucky to have seven horses, I'm wondering if his go-to-the-back-and-close style is going to make it difficult to win because the shorter the field, the more chance of soft early fractions which could go against MTB. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by DickHertz View Post
    Looking beyond the Belmont, since so many Grade 1's and Grade 2's often are lucky to have seven horses, I'm wondering if his go-to-the-back-and-close style is going to make it difficult to win because the shorter the field, the more chance of soft early fractions which could go against MTB. Thoughts?
    If I didn't have one already I'd be taking some of those Derby winnings and buying me a rabbit! =)
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

i personally think he'll be fine. I think its more of a comfort thing for him. I dont think he likes being rushed and caught up in the pack of horses early on. I think he prefers to stalk from the back, stay out of the way, and the come up and weave through at the end,....after everyone blew out their steam already

Stalkers seem to have had a pretty good time in the Belmont of late as it is. If anything, fewer horses means fewer to go around if there's no hole on the rail.

I suspect we haven't seen the limits of either RA or MTB (I hope so anyway, it's a lot more fun than thinking we've seen the best already.)

Playing with this idea, it's clear he has one killer move, the trick would be if he had to find two of them or had to reaccelerate after being boxed in (though he did a nice job having to move after going wide, but that's different than being stopped and having to try reaccelerate).

Do others think that MTB would be OK with quicker early fractions as long if he still has a clear shot to make a move at the end.

It'll be interesting to see how much depth RA has as well, presuming she runs in the Belmont and finds the footing more to her liking. It would be fun to see her really race in footing where she can run well and is challenged over a long stretch run.

I still care more about the BC than the Belmont for her. I really would love to see her race Zenyatta.

Several good horses have been come from behind, Seabiscuit for one and Forego for another, so as long as they know when to make the move and know how much horse they have it should be okay...
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

A very good horse you all may remember raced like this as well. Victory Gallop, TC spoiler, and very nice older horse in his own right. i loved his Iselin win. He always stalked early and came flying late.
    You know, if you took this jello, put it in a mold and froze it, you could be like look....an emerald. Dude, I'd kick some guys ass he ever tried to give me a jello ring.

There's going to be an effort on the part of the rest of the field, IMHO, to slow the pace WAAYY down. MTB's style is well-attested to by now.

I'd love to see Rach or Mine That Bird take it.

What I really want to see is for the two of them to hook up in the Travers.

I agree. He's going to have a target on his back and I'm sure the riders would rather they have a shot to win rather than set a fast pace so that everyone is running for 2nd place.

Deends on the pace in front of him

You Tube is my friend. I never ever saw a more incredible finish (on tv at the time) than Forego beating Honest Pleasure in the Marlboro Cup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMJjiWXCM3s

Picture quality poor, but the finish is still just as incredible.

I did get to watch Honest Pleasure win the '76 Travers.

I am looking forward to years of enjoyment from Mine That Bird. Heck, throw a different jockey up every time, I don't think he cares.

MTB kind of reminds me of one of my old favorites, Cryptoclearance. Here he is winning the 1992 Donn (with guest appearance by gallant gelding, Creme Fraiche):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La5vAX4uA9E

And with his rabbit, Lustra in the 1989 Hawthorne Gold Cup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwQ_7...eature=related

and here he doesn't quite catch another personal favorite, Lost Code, but he comes darn close in the '88 Oaklawn Handicap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92QQm...eature=related

Some history:

http://www.robertsfox.com/cryptoclearance.htm

http://www.thoroughbredchampions.com...ies/crypto.htm

So, if MTB does as well as Crypto on the track, he'll be a Very Nice Racehorse - I guess he already is after his last two races, but hopefully he can bring us thrills for awhile.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

As much as I hated Graham Motion entering a rabbit for Better Talk Now, I think it would be a good idea for the connections to ensure an honest pace in every race he runs in.

Quote Originally Posted by EponaRoan View Post
    MTB kind of reminds me of one of my old favorites, Cryptoclearance. Here he is winning the 1992 Donn (with guest appearance by gallant gelding, Creme Fraiche):

[
    Oh, Crypto was one of my favorite horses of all time. Those 3 year olds from 1987 were awesome! Those were the good old days

I think that was when I developed a love of the closer as well. Never have loved speed horses. Love a closer more often than not!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Coming from way back was also Buckpasser's running style, and he was a Champion. He did miss the Triple Crown races of his year, but used that style in the Jockey Club Gold Cup when it was 2 miles.

I do wish someone would put his Suburban win from 1967 on YouTube.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Pat Day described Unbridled as having one big run and that his job was to time it. I think that is pretty typical of late runners. Although, I agree, MTB seems more able than many come-late horses to get going and, if he hits trouble, to reaccelerate.

Was it Concern that would be so far back and just fly in the stretch?

I haven't really followed racing much up to this point (I ride showjumpers )but my boyfriend loves racing. I have to say I fell in love when I watched RA in The Oaks. She has that special something, her gallop in The Oaks was amazing! Not that MTB isn't an amazing horse as well but she just struck me!