The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default what kind of hay is this?

ok, I have been buying hay from the same place for a while now, and i am curious as to what kind of hay this is. they usually have a coastal bermuda, but this is not bermuda. i forgot to ask them what exactly it is, as they sell it as a "horse roll".

it's very high-quality stuff for what we have available down here, and my horses LOVE it. my mare actually left her alfalfa cubes this morning to eat hay. it has some color, and is a nice balance of fat and skinny leaves, and very fat, but not too hard, stems. The stems are fatter than straw but are not as stiff as straw would be. it's pretty soft hay, but still coarse enough that i'm not worried about colic. the seed heads are what confuse me though. they are on a thin stalk, and there are a bunch of what look like seed heads from maybe oats or something similar, but when i peel the husk off there are just tiny flowers inside? it looks nothing like bermuda or bahia.

i am in south central FL, and I am sure this hay came from FL or maybe GA. not much sand in it, and it has a good amount of color. it just falls off the roll (i peel it off and just feed a little at a time, it's kept in my barn).

any ideas? i am more just curious because this isn't anything i have seen growing this far south and my horses love it. i have a call into the hay guy. everything he has sold me has been very high quality, which is why i tend not to question anything he does sell me. it has all been exceptional, and he is very picky about what he sells as horse hay. no weeds, just nice hay.

pictures?
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Sounds like Orchard grass with the fatter but not coarse stems. I don't know that it grows well that far South though.

Could it be Teff?

Default Tifton?

Georgia is known for a type of hay called Tifton, and I do believe it comes only in rolls.

I, myself, worry about rolls and mold.

Whatever you do, do not buy hay that is silage.
    SZ

Quote Originally Posted by xsuzi View Post
    Georgia is known for a type of hay called Tifton, and I do believe it comes only in rolls.

I, myself, worry about rolls and mold.

Whatever you do, do not buy hay that is silage.
    As stated before, I keep my rolls inside and they are very high quality. I peel hey off the rolls, so the mold is really not an issue.

I also know what Tifton is, and it is a type of bermuda. This is NOT bermuda.

I will try to get pics, but the camera phone only does so well photographing hay in my barn when it is as overcast as it has been the past couple days. I have a feeling the pics will come out looking like a big blob of hay without enough detail to tell what it is.

JB, what is Teff? I don't think orchard grows this far south either. I have a feeling these rolls would be a lot more than $70 each if it were coming from far enough away that it is orchard

your description is fairly accurate of my timothy/brome mix, and my horses adore that too, though I haven't investigated the seedheads lately to be sure of the match to your description. My tim/brome mix does not have the typical timothy puffy seed heads, but it is a yummy tim.

teff, to my experience, has extremely fine stems and blades though... its extremely soft and fluffy and one can lay on a few bales comfortably and not feel 'poked'. My tim/brome is thicker stemmed and more strawish, but very edible according to the horses.

here are photos of my teff:
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...y/IMG_1886.jpg
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...y/IMG_1879.jpg
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...y/IMG_1887.jpg
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...y/IMG_1877.jpg

Camera phone pics of just the seedheads should be a dead give-away
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

I don't think Timothy will grow that far South either - doesn't grow well here.

Brome might be an option, though I have no idea what the stems look like.

Could be peanut hay, horses seem to love that stuff and it is grown in South Georgia and Northern Florida. Comes on rolls too IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Bay View Post
    I will try to get pics, but the camera phone only does so well photographing hay in my barn
    Take a few sprigs with seed heads in the house, and photograph on contrasting color background under a good light.

NOT peanut hay, no way. Peanut hay has medium-sized leaves, kinda like small leaves from a Live Oak. This stuff is a grass hay.

Not timothy either. It doesn't grow down here, and this stuff doesn't look like timothy. Plus, I have never seen a round bale of timothy this far south, ever. It's cost-prohibitive to ship this far south.

I will go bring in a couple seed heads next time I am out to the barn. I forgot when I came in a couple minutes ago.

I am going to guess Rye hay. It does look like soft straw, I had some round bales last year of ryr but my horses were not too fond of it.

I usually feed Tifton, but my supplier cannot get it in for a couple of more weeks and he said he could get me some rye mix from GA so I know it is available now.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch