The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

you two are looking great! and congrats on the new saddle I know you'll love it(i love hdr's) and you will find your balance with the new seat size better.
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

thanks!!

Looking good, Tiffany!
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Thanks.....

I'm glad you took everyone's advice and opted for a bigger saddle, you will feel much more secure on Beautiful and it sounds like a very nice saddle.

Great pics!

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

Thumbs up

You do look more relaxed and upright in the saddle. Don't you love spring?

When your new saddle comes you'll need to post photos of it and yourself when you get used to it!

Im useing my trainer's saddle for now.

Looking good.

I love the pony's name!

Pretty horse...I was wondering, how often do you work him? His back end doesn't have a lot of muscling, he looks a bit thin in the haunches but that could be the angle of the camera or how they were taken. What do you do with him? How tall?

Cute horse! Looks like she/he may need a few more calories to get a little bit more fill. She isn't skinny, just not fleshy enough for me

As for you, you have very nice posture but you look a little stiff. I have this problem as well, I try to look pretty and still but it ends up backfiring and I lose effectiveness. Also keep working on stretching down through your heel. What helps a little is if you think about turning your toes ever so slightly away from the horse so the inside of your ankle has contact with the horse and pull your leg back some. Your saddle also looks big, which doesn't help with trying to get your leg in the correct position!

It looks like you both are having fun and that is really all that matters

It is nice to see you in a saddle that fits you! Amazing what a difference it makes, isn't it?

I still think you'd do well to take your stirrups up a hole to create a little more angle behind your knee. As another poster said, bringing your heel in slightly will also improve your contact through your whole lower leg. You seem to be a little "pinchy" in the knee. If you're showing h/j eq, your hands are WAY too low, but might get by at breed shows.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

your saddle fits you much better than the other one, congratulations.

suggestion - don't sit on your hands when you canter - lift them UP and Beautiful will lift up in front.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Mom View Post
    It is nice to see you in a saddle that fits you! Amazing what a difference it makes, isn't it?

I still think you'd do well to take your stirrups up a hole to create a little more angle behind your knee. As another poster said, bringing your heel in slightly will also improve your contact through your whole lower leg. You seem to be a little "pinchy" in the knee. If you're showing h/j eq, your hands are WAY too low, but might get by at breed shows.
    If she shortens her stirrups, her entire foot will be on top of the flap. The flap already ends at her ankle. But I agree that the stirrups are too long. Perhaps a shorter flap would be helpful? Her stirrups need to be signifanctly shorter but her flap is too long. Catch 22. The seat looks good though, so we're half way there!!

I agree about the hands, as well. Resting your fists on your thighs isn't going to fly at a H/J show. I'm not sure about breed shows.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    If she shortens her stirrups, her entire foot will be on top of the flap. The flap already ends at her ankle. But I agree that the stirrups are too long. Perhaps a shorter flap would be helpful? Her stirrups need to be significantly shorter but her flap is too long. Catch 22. The seat looks good though, so we're half way there!!

I agree about the hands, as well. Resting your fists on your thighs isn't going to fly at a H/J show. I'm not sure about breed shows.
    Good call - maybe a half a hole to split the difference? That and working on keeping the leg well under her and maintaining contact through the leg, not just at the knee.

As for the hands at breed shows, I haven't had much experience at them in the last 20 years, but from what I've seen in photos/videos of them, their hands are a lot lower than at h/j venues.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Mom View Post
    As for the hands at breed shows, I haven't had much experience at them in the last 20 years, but from what I've seen in photos/videos of them, their hands are a lot lower than at h/j venues.
    That doesn't make it good equitation.