The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Default Slaughter in Miami area???

I did a search and couldnt find anything on this:

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/F...bGvKkCp4XehGcB

This is horrific beyond words

For those of you in this area, just how much of this is going on and how in heaven's name do you protect your horses????

Well.. wow.. I'm up here in Canada and personally don't have a problem with slaughter. The animals coming up from the US to be slaughtered is a crime.. not because they are coming up to be slaughtered but because now they have to travel hundreds and hundreds of miles when they could have been humanly euthanized closed to home. I have a problem with feed lots and pens while the horses wait for euthanasia.

I do have a problem with what I saw in Florida. That is revolting. I think that slaughtering any animal for food is ok and only ok if done humanly and legally. What was done to these animals was horrible and there should be some way to go after the culprites.

I really do hope that they find the responsible ones and stop them. I am sorry for all those who lost their animals in this most cruel of ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Christine (Fgs) View Post
    Well.. wow.. I'm up here in Canada and personally don't have a problem with slaughter. The animals coming up from the US to be slaughtered is a crime.. not because they are coming up to be slaughtered but because now they have to travel hundreds and hundreds of miles when they could have been humanly euthanized closed to home. I have a problem with feed lots and pens while the horses wait for euthanasia.

I do have a problem with what I saw in Florida. That is revolting. I think that slaughtering any animal for food is ok and only ok if done humanly and legally. What was done to these animals was horrible and there should be some way to go after the culprites.

I really do hope that they find the responsible ones and stop them. I am sorry for all those who lost their animals in this most cruel of ways.
    I have a problem with the line of thinking that horses in feed lots and holding pens are waiting for euthanasia. The AAEP may agree with that line of thinking but I sure don't.

I saw this before its becoming like cattle rustling and butchering and certainly not good hopefully they catch those doing it but like with cattle its hard. I do wish the media would get the facts about slaughter right in these articles though its not against U.S. law to sell horse meat only some state laws.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

There are 14 states in the U.S.A with processing plant bills in their legislature.

Why is it more "horrifying" for a horse in a hold pen than any other animal? They do not know why they are there! The BLM does it with round ups all the time. Why do you assume it is more terrifying for a horse than a chicken or a pig? I think it is just as horrific for each of them.

We need these plants to reopen IMMEDIATELY! Until people stop breeding CRAP and the race industry embraces longevity over speed and the economy improves it's all we've got!
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Its not going to matter what bred or how long a race horse is in a stable. As long as theres demand for horse meat they will be slaughtered. Every horse could be perfect and the people who like eating horse still will.

Quote Originally Posted by county View Post
    Its not going to matter what bred or how long a race horse is in a stable. As long as theres demand for horse meat they will be slaughtered. Every horse could be perfect and the people who like eating horse still will.
    If every horse was more valuable than its meat price, then there would be little to no supply in this country (economics would force those who want to buy it to find other, cheaper sources). Unfortunately.... that's about as likely as a leprechaun giving me millions of dollars in gold coins.

The Miami situation is just terrifying. I can't even imagine what those owners are going through.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

True if every horse had someone willing to pay more then meat price then they wouldn't get sold for meat. But thats never happened in history and never will. Fact is when there were 1/3 less horses meat price was over twice what it is now.

Heard about this atrocity going on in Miami and it's horrifying.

I was recently searching horsemeat and found this place in NJ that processes horses, appears for zoos (the site mentions cats so I'm thinking lions, etc.)

*warning; pictures may be upsetting to those sensitive

http://www.bravopacking.com/main/products.htm

Do places like this packing plant have regulations in place?

The place like in N.J. doesn't process horses or cattle. They buy the bones/meat from slaughter plants and then process that into their products theres places like that around the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I have a problem with the line of thinking that horses in feed lots and holding pens are waiting for euthanasia. The AAEP may agree with that line of thinking but I sure don't.
    Ditto that. Slaughter is NOT euthanasia!

Those pictures were just horrible. I cannot imagine walking out to feed in the morning and finding your horse slaughtered in the field or paddock. I hope they catch who is doing this and throw the book at him.

Ah c'mon county. Having fewer horses would definitely help matters. If it cost more to purchase meat horses the cost of the product would be driven up and the marginal players would disappear. Doesn't mean no horse would ever be slaughtered but it would help. That is a simple concept. BUT...humans have not been proven to be able to control unnecessary breeding of one another so; sadly, I fear being responsible breeders of another species is a pipe dream.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Well each of us can think what we want but the fact is in 92 we had 1/3 less horses then now but we slaughtered 5 times as many as now. And top meat price now is .35 a lb then it was .95 a lb.

Well each of us can think what we want but the fact is in 92 we had 1/3 less horses then now but we slaughtered 5 times as many as now. And top meat price now is .35 a lb then it was .95 a lb.

Ok, help me understand this...wouldn't getting .95/lb encourage people to sell horses for meat and thus increase the number going to slaughter? If so then that makes sense to me. It would have to reach a point were there were few horses available that the owners were willing to liquidate (like most of us on here....my horse isn't for sale at any price....he is a family member much like my dog). Again, I don't think it will happen in a million years due to the fact that most humans are greedy, selfish and just plain stupid but in theory, it makes sense yes?
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Peope are greedy, selfish, and stupid. Just make sense? No not at all IMO. Do higher prices encourage people to sell? Yes that makes sense same as it does for anything.

Personally I'd love to see way way less horses in the country makes mine worth more money. But my or anyone elses wants should never ever trump another persons rights.

Peope are greedy, selfish, and stupid. Just make sense? No not at all IMO. Do higher prices encourage people to sell? Yes that makes sense same as it does for anything.
    Personally I'd love to see way way less horses in the country makes mine worth more money. But my or anyone elses wants should never ever trump another persons rights.
    I'm no further ahead.

I had no idea you were supposed to be? Is it a race?

Quote Originally Posted by sisu27 View Post
    Ok, help me understand this...wouldn't getting .95/lb encourage people to sell horses for meat and thus increase the number going to slaughter? If so then that makes sense to me. It would have to reach a point were there were few horses available that the owners were willing to liquidate (like most of us on here....my horse isn't for sale at any price....he is a family member much like my dog). Again, I don't think it will happen in a million years due to the fact that most humans are greedy, selfish and just plain stupid but in theory, it makes sense yes?
    It doesn't work like that. The slaughter plants are going to buy X number of horses to fit their demand. So they're going to pay what they need to get that # of horses. Right now, there's a glut of horses and I imagine they don't have to pay as much to get what they want.

In 1999, my husband called both slaughter plants in Texas to do a little research (they were, btw, very helpful). One thing he found out is that few people take their horses straight to the plants. They take them to slaughter where dealers or "killer buyers" buy them and then resell them to slaughter plants. And that's when horses were bringing more at the plants. So those people selling horses who brought 95 cents/lb were just selling to the highest bidder at auction. They weren't specifically deciding to sell their horses to the slaughte hosue (for the most part, there were exceptions).
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

That is absolutely HORRIFIC.

I hope the people are caught and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Regardless of our position on horse slaughter - I think we can all agree that illegal butchering - whether the horse is stolen or not - is not acceptable.

I think I read (maybe it was on this BB) of another news report... about illegal butchering. And it wasn't just horses.

Folks - I'm not comparing this to killing a chicken for dinner or transporting horses for slaughter. The acts described in the news reports are just plain wrong wrong wrong no matter what.

These aren't small family run plants processing animals - these are people that are taking animals - some of which are stolen - and killing them in a disgusting and barbaric fashion - with absolutely no regard for human or animal welfare.

That ain't right.