The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Replacing panels in Georgia? or other suggestions for saddle

I want my Butet's panels to be replaced with wool to fit my horse. My horse is very hard to fit.

I am at my wits end with this saddle thing. The tree of my Butet seems to fit, but it leaves dry spots.

The only thing I can think of is to have the panels fit for him. I called a couple places and a guy in NC is recommended, but how will he be able to make panels to fit my guy w/o seeing him. Are tracings that accurate?

I would rather have someone help me who will actually see my horse. -and see if they do indeed fit once stuffed.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by MissKatie; May. 19, 2009 at 12:04 AM.

http://www.flyingangelfarm.com This lady is great...I'm not sure if she can replace whole panels or not, but definitely worth an email/phone call. She does a lot of other great stuff for horses too: massage, chiro, etc.

^do you have the email address. I can't access the email link from my computer. Thanks for the suggestion!

Where are the dry spots, and why do you think reflocking with wool will fix it?

Can you post pictures?

Default Don't do it!

It is most likely this will fail. Bad. Trees built to accommodate foam panels-- especially the very thin ones Butet uses-- usually don't have enough vertical room in them to accept wool panels.

Call Bevals if you want. They do excellent work and know Butets well. But ask to see some pics of a converted saddle first.

If you want to see an example of a botched job (or so I assume happened), look on Ebay for an Exselle saddle costing around $470. They have pics of the underside. You'll see what I mean.

But, if the surgery works, let us know! I can't tell you how much I'd like to be wrong.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Why don't you resale the Butet and find a saddle that fits without all this monkey business?

From what I hear and read on this board, alot of people restuff with wool.

The saddle fits me very well. I have tried 20-30 saddles and nothing fits him right. I have a limited budget, so I have to buy used and his back is changing, so I can't invest too much in something that may not fit later.

A conversion is around $450....it seems like the best option right now.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I restuffed my Butet with wool years ago and I like it just fine. The old foam fit fine until it compressed too much (something that is an issue with older butets).

Check with the English Rider, they send saddles off to the saddle guy in NC or SC - Dave something? Anyway, I sent mine out to be re-flocked about a year and a half ago and had it back inside of 10 days (but I did "schedule" it for when he wasn't superbusy and I was out of town for most of that time). Also if the saddle needs fitting, Christy can look at it and do a tracing so he can stuff it properly.

I know Bevals does good work, and when my saddle needs a new seat and other repairs, for sure they will get it, but shipping gets expensive the further away it goes, andI think I'd like it better if a saddle fitter (Christy) can talk directly with the person working on the saddle (also I think he sometimes travels to Atlanta, but that may not fit in with your schedule)
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by MissKatie View Post
    From what I hear and read on this board, alot of people restuff with wool.
    The issue is not simply replacing foam with wool. The issue is as mvp mentioned - not all trees were designed to work with a fully stuffed wool panel, for whatever reason.

The saddle fits me very well. I have tried 20-30 saddles and nothing fits him right. I have a limited budget, so I have to buy used and his back is changing, so I can't invest too much in something that may not fit later.
    Trying 20-30 saddles doesn't mean you're trying the right ones. I've seen a few folks try MANY different saddles, and cannot understand that they are all shaped mostly the same and *that* is why they aren't fitting, not because they have a particularly hard to fit horse. That's why I was asking - can you post pictures, and why do you think wool is going to be the answer?

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    The issue is not simply replacing foam with wool. The issue is as mvp mentioned - not all trees were designed to work with a fully stuffed wool panel, for whatever reason.
    However, as she said, more than a few people have done it with Butets for a variety of reasons. At least as far as my saddle, saddle fitters and my horses are concerned, it has not been a problem so possibly the odds are in her favor.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    It is most likely this will fail. Bad. Trees built to accommodate foam panels-- especially the very thin ones Butet uses-- usually don't have enough vertical room in them to accept wool panels.

Call Bevals if you want. They do excellent work and know Butets well. But ask to see some pics of a converted saddle first.

If you want to see an example of a botched job (or so I assume happened), look on Ebay for an Exselle saddle costing around $470. They have pics of the underside. You'll see what I mean.

But, if the surgery works, let us know! I can't tell you how much I'd like to be wrong.
    I went to ebay to look at the saddle example, and I don't understand what is wrong with the underside of the saddle? Could someone please enlighten me.

Smiles, Mee

Thanks to all who replied!

JB-the reason I am asking about wool is because I already own the saddle and wool can be adjusted for his hard to fit and changing back, foam cannot. The tree fits him; it fits me.

I am on a budget right now and I cannot buy a new saddle. I will be able to buy a saddle in about a year, so right now I need something to fit him until I can buy one. Plus, he is out of shape and his back will change (hopefully) in the next year!

Also, the panels are flattened and need replacing.