The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ill-fitting breeches... What to do??

So I've been having a problem...for the past few years, actually. Haha. My breeches fit me very nicely, on the ground. But when I get in the saddle I get the saggy crouch syndrome. Where the extra fabric, hangs wayyy lower than need be? It is really quite annoying, and I'm wondering... Too big? Too small? Just a bad fit all around? It's not just one specific brand, or style. I have Tuff Rider's, Devon-Aire, Grand Prix, etc. And some are with knee patches, others full-seat. What's the problem here?

I'll take a stab at it... Could it be that they are slightly loose at the waist, so when you sit in the saddle they slide down a bit, thus creating the sagging crotch? It is also possible that you don't allow extra material to go over the knee when you put your boots/half chaps on, and when you bend your knee in the saddle it pulls on the breech downward, thus making it slide down.

As far as fixing suggestions... try wearing a belt and making sure you have a bit of extra fabric available over the knee. Hope that helps.

I think it could be a number of fit issues and it is just going to take a bunch of trial and error to fix it. Hopefully, you can go to a tack store with a big selection and just start trying on a bunch of different waist sizes and lengths. If you are really lucky, there might be a knowledgeable sales associate who can help you figure it out.

I would try a size smaller in the waist, first. They should fit snug -- yes, you should be able to breathe but not loose -- you should not be able to grab fabric easily. While you certainly don't want a wedgie (!), they shouldn't have excess fabric in the crotch or wrinkles anywhere.

If the smaller sized waist makes them feel small, try a longer size in that same reduced waist size (i.e., if you are currently buying regulars, try long in the smaller waist size). Although I am not tall, I have found that buying longs in a smaller waist size actually fit me better.

Also, play with going to a shorter size at your existing waist size. You can also try the shorter sizes with both a smaller waist size and larger waist size.

I know this sounds silly, but try to go into a jumping position in each pair, to get an idea of what they do. If the tack store has saddles for sale, they probably have the "plastic pony" to try them out on. Put on the breeches and go sit in a saddle. Go to your jumping position or whatever causes them to bag, and see what they do.

Lastly (although I doubt this is it, since it is happening to you in all brands/styles), make sure that there is some lycra in them and that they aren't too stretchy. I have some ribbed Pikeurs that are super comfy on the ground because they are stretchy, but they get kind of saggy in the saddle (full seat) because they have too much "give" in them.

I think you just have to keep trying different sizes/makers/etc. Hate to say it, but also try some of the more expensive brands too -- unfortunately for me, those are the ones that fit me. ... naturally!

Good luck!
    Last edited by SevenDogs; May. 19, 2009 at 12:30 AM.

my biggest problem with all breeches is that I have long legs and a short torso, so once I am in the saddle I have all this extra fabric at the waistline which makes me look like I have this belly (im 5'4 120), so I think my fit may be to try low rise? Regulars come mid calf on me so i have to go long. I honestly hate breeches and envy all of those who look good IN tack and on the ground. I look like a different person in the saddle compared to on the ground. I actually quite hate seeing me in pics in the saddle b/c of this...

You need "low rise"... Solved my problems! FITS are also WONDERFUL!
    "There is dignity in lightness, truth in patience,
    but only ignorance in force"... www.cedarpinefarm.com

I have the same problem in some of my schooling breeches except for my Kerritts, iRideons, and FITS A belt does help, though I agree with BSFKimbees; I think it is mostly that the rise is just too high.
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

Default fit of breech

Are you buying longs? If so, the waist to crotch is cut longer there as well as length in leg. If your purchasing Regs then I'd go with the low rise.

What kind of fastening are you using? Sometimes, with a front zip, the zip will bend and make them look strange. Maybe try a side zip or pull ons?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Thanks everyone..Most of my pants are very stretchy, and to top it off high rise. So I guess there's the problem. Although I am very reluctant to admit it, siince now my collection of breeches and my wallet are going to take a major hit. Hmpf. Good thing for summer jobs...
    Yesterday I ordered a pair of Ariats (on sale!!) and now I'm thinking that was a mistake. They're tights, so wouldn't that mean that they will end up quite stretchy?
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=320414475

Oh, and I do have pretty long legs (I'm 5'8, with an abnormally long thigh in consieration to my calf) and a smaller waist. Just for those who know how to fit that sort of thing

Try low rise! I had the same problem.
    “And live like you ain’t afraid to die. And don’t be scared, just enjoy your ride.” Chris Ledoux ~ The Ride

I find Devon Aire's to be very low in the crotch...

I would consider staying away from the tights and wear real britches. I think tights only look good on string bean kids, really, and they just do not hold their shape.

I had that problem too until I started wearing FITS and Irideon. Low rise can work but it depends on the brand/cut. Some Cavallo are nice fitting too.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."