The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hoof Boot Inserts - what kind do you use?

I'm a huge Thinline fan... saddle pads and hoof boot inserts, but the inserts seem to wear so quickly around the edges... Like after 2 or 3 rides (2 hour trails). Does anyone else have this problem? What kind of inserts do you use - if any? A2, I remember you saying you wouldn't wear the boots without inserts, can you explain? Does anyone wear boots without the inserts?
    Kim
    The Galloping Grape
    Warrenton, VA
    http://www.GallopingGrape.com

My poor poor maresie goes without them.

I figure I really would rather keep her soles toughened up, and cushy pads would be counterproductive to that (in my own reasoning ). Also, my rides when she's booted are usually short, 30-45 minutes, tops.

I've considered just buying some leather pads they use when shoeing a horse, but haven't gotten around to it yet. With how soft the ground has been the last few months, boots have not been required.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I use the easy care pads but they too wear down so fast, after a few long rides, they are extremely flat, but I still use them. I dont know if it really makes much of a difference as I also use the boots without them with no problem.

I don't care if the edges get squished, I use the pads for sole and frog stimulation not hoof wall support. I use dome pads on my horse's fronts, nothing in the back. He has an old hoof injury on one front with nerve damage and no medial heel, he stands on his bar, so the pads are great for that too.

Just guessing, I think I get about 25-30 hours out of a set of domes. 12 mm pads are a little less and the 6 mm ones don't last well at all.

Ann Szolas

But the Thinlines dot get "squished", they get torn to shreds... in the exact spot where the "while line" is on the horses hoof. About 1/4" in along the rim of the pad, its just ripped, and when I pull the pad off, that 1/4" falls off... I clean his feet very well before I put his boots on, so its not like excessive dirt is grinding up the pads (I don't think). What am I doing wrong? They have to be tossed out after a good long ride or two.... that's pretty expensive. (And I'm a shop owner who gets them at wholesale!!) I wonder if I'm doing something wrong - or if there is a problem with the trim of my horses's bare foot?
    Kim
    The Galloping Grape
    Warrenton, VA

Default .... Hoof boot experts ....?

A2? Anyone else?
    Kim
    The Galloping Grape
    Warrenton, VA

Sorry, I have no experience with thinline pads.

Ann Szolas

If I use pads at all, I use the leather ones shoers use and cut them to fit. Mostly, I don't use pads. Not sure I agree with the reasoning behind habitual pad use. I'll use them if there is a problem, and then stop.

In fact, I've had more problems with cushy pads changing the way a horse moves (front feet staying on the ground long enough to let the hind feet hit them). So I've got more reasons not to use them.

I would have thought the inserts would make them more comfortable - I know I'd feel better walking in nice Dr. Schols, as opposed to a hard clog?
    Kim
    The Galloping Grape
    Warrenton, VA

Perhaps. I can't imagine that it is very comfortable to hit one's heels on each stride, either, even through a gaiter. If we take the time and effort to trim the horse for best movement while barefoot, then we need to keep to this as much as possible while providing them protection on the trail for riding. For example, many boots need to have the breakover brought back so the foot can lift off the ground at the right time.

Horses also have proprio-receptors and another type of sensor (can't remember the names, sorry) in their feet. Providing a lot of cushion is going to alter how they percieve the environment beneath them. I'm just not sure this is always a good thing. They may not be able to actually see the ground they are standing on, so it is a good idea to allow them to feel it.

What I want from hoof protection is to protect them from rocks and sharp objects while allowing their feet to function as normally as possible. This includes feeling the bumps in the ground, but stopping the sensation short of pain. If they are sensitive to rough terrain even in boots, I add a leather pad. Eventually, I can take the pad out. I don't want to mask the environment from them totally. BTW, chances are that if they remain ouchy without pads for more than a month or so, the horse is dealing with thrush, WLD, laminitis, or some other problem that makes the foot sensitive. These need to be addressed.

If your horse is so sore that it is painful to walk without boots, then pads are called for. But if this is not the case, I personally think that less padding is better.

My $0.02, representing myself. I know this is contrary to a lot of the barefoot advocates out there. I just can't make their theories square with my own observations. I think A2 has had the opposite experience. I can't account for the differences, either.

Thank you! He has been barefoot for 4 years and only ouchy on the gravel and rocks. He doesnt have laminitis, and we only occassionally battle thrush... but he's always ouchy on rocks.... hence the boots because our trails can be quite rocky at times. Thanks again for the info!
    Kim
    The Galloping Grape
    Warrenton, VA

I had an OTTB that had horrible feet when he first came off the track. It took me several years to get his feet in better shape. Still, he never lost the sensitivity to rocks, so he was always booted for riding unless in sand. I think he may have had pedal osteitis in the past (his soles used to be convex, so you can imagine that the coffin bone may have been damaged). I didn't have rads to verify it, but I payed attention to his comfort level and made adjustments as needed.

There is no substitute for paying attention to the feedback your horse gives you. It's always good to ask questions, and you never know, the answer you get might be what you needed instead of what you wanted. Happens to me all the time. Drat!

If your horse needs pads to be comfortable, by all means add pads. If you want cheap, long lasting pads, try the leather ones farriers use--they come in a couple of thicknesses. If that isn't enough, you can always get the thick expensive kind that wear out fast.

Quote Originally Posted by GallopingGrape View Post
    I'm a huge Thinline fan... saddle pads and hoof boot inserts, but the inserts seem to wear so quickly around the edges... Like after 2 or 3 rides (2 hour trails). Does anyone else have this problem? What kind of inserts do you use - if any? A2, I remember you saying you wouldn't wear the boots without inserts, can you explain? Does anyone wear boots without the inserts?
    Yes, I tried them recently, due to boots being a bit too big. They wore out fast!.