The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ford or Dodge diesel crew cab dually?

Which one do you prefer? The Chev has had lots of injector problems so I'm not considering that one. In fact I probably can't afford any but am looking anyway.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Ford. Everyone I know who tries to haul with a Dodge kills it within 2 years. I don't know a single person who's happy with their Dodge.

Ford. mine's a crew cab but not a dually. F350.
    The Dodges will be cheaper now as a lot of the dealers are being closed within months due to the bankruptcy. But they company may not survive. The dealers who are being disenfranchised will be really discounting their trucks on the lot right now.
    GM is cutting back it's dealerships so some Chevy trucks might also be on sale.

As a lifelong Ford person, my new truck is a Dodge. Drove the two the same day and the Dodge was much better (plus I like the Cummins engine). Now if only it came with the Allison tranny I'd be set.....

The Dodge gets good mileage and so far no problems (other than the big dent my hubby put in... ) I do have a freind with a new Dodge though and he has had some trouble with his computer....

LOVE the exhaust brake!
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

Hate to say it but your not going to get a good reliable answer. Ford people hate Dodges, and Dodge people hate Fords, then Chevy people hate everybody (j/k). Honestly just look at what you need and what price you can get. Take into account dealership availability with the closers (warranty work can be a bitch without access to dealerships). That being said I have a late model '03 F-350 dually diesel with the 6.0 that everybody seems to hate and have issues with. Never had a problem with the truck and it hauls like a best and gets good gas mileage pulling a 28' 4-horse LQ over mountains.

I've probably hauled close to a million miles (yes, that's a million) with a variety of Ford trucks. Enough said...

I am a personal fan of Ford Trucks, but all of my rodeo friends (who haul a TON) drive Dodges.
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

Both are good trucks. But I've been a Ford Man since 1987. I suspect local dealer and service is more important than the diff between the two. Cummins engine is awesome (you can get a Cummins in 450+ Fords), Dodge trannies have been suspect.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Chevy. They did have problems with some of Bosch made injectors several years ago but increased the warranty to 7 years or 200,000 miles and I wouldn't think any of the newer ones would have a problem now anyway. I'm driving one of the first ones that's over 8 years old now. I have the replacement injectors in the shop for whenever these old ones start leaking but so far haven't.

Try them all and get the one you like the best. Deals should be plentiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Ford. Everyone I know who tries to haul with a Dodge kills it within 2 years. I don't know a single person who's happy with their Dodge.
    I've owned Dodge exclusively for years, and never a problem. Even had a couple V10s (poor mileage, but that's another subject). The Cummins Diesel is incredible, and my current Dually is a pulling monster. I must confess, I've always preferred and gotten the manual tranny and now have the 6 speed manual, which is super. Now if they would just warranty for life like they do their Hemi's....but with the current situation in the auto industry, who knows....

I love my Dodge diesel. It initially had some issues with the oxygen sensor and the new low sulfer fuel. The local dealership was really great about dealing with it. I agree with whoever said buy from the dealership you want to work with...

I have had a Chevy 350 dually crew cab for over 3 years now and love it. Allison transmission - no problems there. I typically have long distance hauls in the summer through some hilly terrain, so the engine gets a good workout.

Getting good service is very important. I have had to kick and scream a bit at the service manager - I've lost count of how many times my tire valves aren't lined up in the back so I have access to my inside tires. Tire pressures have been wrong too. I now double check that the work order has been completed to my satisfaction before leaving the yard.
    Martha Haley - NeverSayNever Farm
    2009 KWN-NA Breeder of the Year/Silver Level Breeder
    www.angelfire.com/ns2/our_horses/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Never...01844536521951

Cool let the games begin

[QUOTE=mjrtango93;4102814]Hate to say it but your not going to get a good reliable answer. Ford people hate Dodges, and Dodge people hate Fords, then Chevy people hate everybody (j/k). Honestly just look at what you need and what price you can get. Take into account dealership availability /QUOTE]

Ain't this the truth. WOW, starting a my-truck-is-better-than-your-truck thread going here.

So I might as well jump in with my two cents worth. I had always been a Chevy guy. Hated Fords every since my dad owned that piece-of-crap 1959 Ford sedan. What a piece of poop. But was driving a Topkick with a Cat in it hauling horses commercially. Put over 750K miles on it, and it was getting kind of worn out. No problem with the Cat or the Allison--the GM parts were crap and way too expensive. Had also owned a 1 ton GMC with their old diesel--lots of fuel system problems. Talked to the big truck diesel mechanics who worked on the Topkick, who were all Ford guys. Every one of them said--Do not buy a Duramax for lots of reasons. And Do not buy a Ford. Because what you need is a Dodge since it has a CUMMINS. Sold the Topkick. Bought 2 '05 Dodges--a 3500 Dually and a 2500. Both outfitted the same way. The 3500 now has over 300K on it and the 2500 has over 80K. Have lots of friends who try and pull with those Fords--so sad. Way too much in the shop. And the Duramax? Well when you are really old and ready to hook up the 5th wheel and are looking for that Cadillac ride, then's the time. You won't put too many miles on it.

Now with all that said, I know I have offended all you Ford guys & gals. And since their aren't any Chevy folks out there--they just make a 1/2 ton don't they now?--I am safe there.

But, one fact of life. If you spend any time in the truck stops and look at what all those folks are driving pulling all those 5th wheels out of Indiana all over the country and the horse trailers out of Oklahoma to the various trailer dealers, you will notice that 9 out of 10 are driving a Dodge. Why? Because of the Cummins. Wouldn't Ford love to get its hands on a real diesel for a change. They would own the market. Dump that Powerstroke in a heartbeat. [But then I still couldn't drive a Ford--way overpriced with feel and handling like a Toyota Camry..or is that a Ford Taurus--same difference.]

Didn't I hear somewhere that Cummins is owned by Ford????

Another vote for the Dodge! You don't need a Fixed Or Repaired Daily
    AJV Breeding
    www.ajvbreeding.com

My husband is the "Truck person" in our family. He loves the Cummins engines. He even has one in one of the semis. LOVES IT.

I have driven a 2001 Dodge 3500 (3/4 ton diesel) that I loved. We sold it because my hubby gets itchy and likes new vehicles. I did have a problem with an injector (I believe that was the part? I would occasionally have NO POWER when I pressed the gas), but in all fairness the truck was "rode hard and put away wet." We USE our trucks hard--don't just sit them in the driveway and haul the horse trailer once a month 30 min down the road.

My husband also had a 2001 Dodge 4500(? it was a One Ton diesel) dually. He drove that truck and trailer across the country for years. I don't believe it ever had a problem. I know my hubby had to replace some major part but that was because he had a significant user error. It had a ton of power. My hubby wishes we still had this truck because he said it was a real workhorse and esentially would just go and go. He supplemented it with special injectors and god knows what else. It was a really cool vehicle.

We then got a truck in Nov of 2006 (So would that make it a 2006?), a one ton no dually. Also a dodge It hauled OK (to me it was fine, but hubby wasn't as happy with it as the 2001 dually). The wheel bearings went out when we were on a trip so this November (2008) we traded it in at the dealer's for a new truck (2008????) dually.

The newest truck is a one tone dual with the new emissions equipment on it. That really cuts back on your fuel efficiency and possibly the power as well. Hubby is really concerned about how the new computer info on the trucks is going to work out.

Also, there is something about the "gear ratio" that makes the truck easier or harder to haul with. My husband knows that stuff, I don't. I know that one of the gear ratios is "4 tens" or something.

Clearly I'm not a truck person -- I don't even know how they decide what year the truck is-- but I have driven 4 Dodges now. I really love the way they drive, the way the truck is set up, etc. I just got a 99 GMC 1/2 ton to drive around town because fuel efficiency is crap in our newest truck.

If we had to do it again we'd be looking for the 2001s, a lightly used truck because that year was our favorite. We liked the body style better and the trucks were real workhorses.

If you actually want to talk to my husband --he is VERY VERY knowledgeable about ALL brands of trucks--albiet a bit biased, let me know I can get you in contact with him.

Either way, you really can't go wrong. I have a Dodge 2500 and I love it. It's true that the transmissions are a little odd (I have an automatic transmission and you can feel it change gears when pulling), but haven't had a problem so far. I've hauled cross country (CO to SC) numerous times.. 3 last summer alone, including to FL numerous times. Have almost 60,000 miles on it so it's about ready for that supercharger It pulls like there's nothin' behind it, too, even with my 2 monsters in back.

But there are days, I admit, when I wish Ford were closing dealerships so I could get a dually. I've known people with both truck brands who have had issues - but if you can have a truck for a long time and not have a problem, I want to know how you did it!! Both are good trucks though and will hold up well and pull well, too. I hope you end up with a new truck... new toys are always a good thing!!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
    Didn't I hear somewhere that Cummins is owned by Ford????
    you're trying to spread that urban legend again, aintcha?

do your research. It ain't.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by RegentLion View Post
    My husband is the "Truck person" in our family. He loves the Cummins engines. He even has one in one of the semis. LOVES IT.

If you actually want to talk to my husband --he is VERY VERY knowledgeable about ALL brands of trucks--albiet a bit biased, let me know I can get you in contact with him.
    Now here is a lot of truth. Dodge folks work their trucks and the Cummins is the real deal of a diesel engine. Same engine as its bigger brothers in the semi's.

I rode in a really nice Ford 650 last year. Cummins engine and an Allison transmission that was fantastic. the rest of the truck was Ford, so a p.o.s., but that Allison it had coupled to the Cummins was a workhorse. And tons of stump pulling power.

ps/Chevy folks--this was not that look alike Allison you get with your Duramax--this was an Allison built for 2 ton trucks--32, 000 GVW--a real Allison. It was a 6 speed with all kinds of built in braking power, just tap the throttle one time then be careful you don't get your nose pressed to the windshield when it brakes for you. Hardly have to ever touch the brakes even on the 6% grades out west.

Another vote for Dodge. I don't have a one ton diesel, but do have a 2500 w/ over 345,000 miles on it and I LOVE it. My hay guy's family all have Dodge 4x4 diesels in all models and they are work horses for sure. They've been delivering my rounds w/ a 2500 quad cab diesel and it handles a 5' 1900+ lb bale just fine.

Some friends also have a diesel quad cab 4x4 dually, forget what year, and they're very happy w/ it. Bought it new in '03 or '04 maybe (whatever was the first year for the quad cab) and still have it. Pulls their large LQ trailer just fine.
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique