The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Qualifying for AEC question...

So.. I wont go this year, but am really going to try hard to next year! I have never shown in a recognized event because money is tight and I would rather go to schooling shows and have lessons. Middle TN Pony club holds a rec. event (which is very close to home). I am not a member of the USEA right now and wont join this year because I dont think my horse would be able to get a qualifing score this year... So it seems like a waste of money. My question is.. Since I have never been to a Rec. event and I really wanna qualify next year, should I go to the Event in Oct. to see where me and my horse are and test our skills and boldness in the Rec event? Or will I be fine with just schooling around?
    Thanks for the opinions and keep in mind.. saving money is important!
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

Go to the recognized; you will have to pay the non-member fee, but it isn't as much as joing the USEA. I wouldn't go if your horse is having difficulties at the unrecognizeds. But, if he is doing those with no problem, I would definitely go, especially since you can get a feel without the pressure of having to qualify.

Join the USEA and show at the recognised event, because the qualifying year runs from August, so Middle TN in October falls in next year's qualifying year. You can get your first qualifying run there before winter, and you'll be one jump ahead by Spring (which starts with Middle TN again )

What event runs in the spring in Middle TN? And I am Pretty sure I wont get a score to qualify which is why I dont want to join just yet. How long do I have to join the USEA before an event?
    *Paige*
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

Have they changed the AEC qualifications to scores rather than placings? That would actually be pretty cool.
    Click here before you buy.

hah no.. sorry. I mean placing. I was thinking Dressage score... Cause thats our problem. Our Jumping kicks butt! haha
    *Paige*
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

I'm not sure how long you have to join before the event ... Spring starts with the Middle TN Pony Club schooling event in March. It's a no-brainer ! Fun, cheap - and this year there was a combined training there on the Saturday, with the little ODE on the sunday. Then up to River Glen if you're over to the East a little, for our local schooling event, then the recognised event here in April.

What makes you think you're not going to get a qualifying score first time out ? I did ! You never know !(Like I'm some big expert here, having done all of two events this year .... )

It's a tough call isn't it, trying to max out the money. I did get some experience last year at 2 recognised events, which was 'wasted' money, in that basically I fell off in stadium and didn't actually manage to even get onto the XC course until October - but for an old lady, you know, you just have to run through those sort of mistakes - like never having seen an oxer before, having no clue what a coloured pole looks like close up etc. I'm sure there are cheaper ways to iron out those mistakes - (like Middle TN in Spring for $50 ferinstance). My good buddy made the very expensive mistake one time of not realising there was more than one dressage test in existence Now that was a harsh lesson !

Anyway, I is rambling ... it's tough, isn't it, with such expensive entries and all that. I didn't go to Area finals, having qualified for it, because it was going to $370 just to get the entry form in, let alone the travelling down there. Yikes ! And my buddies can't understand now when they say 'are you going to XXXX' and I say, 'No, I'm done'. Two events, two qualifiers ... but now I have to stop and save every penny towards September's Grand Day Out.

ETA : I was going to ask if it was the dressage - same here ! We have 2 dressage schooling shows in the fall for about $15 a class, which I find extremely useful - and another in the Spring. Depends how close you are.

Ahh, impossible for us. Novice is so dang competitive--if you don't score in the 20's, you're placing no better than 4th or 5th.

I have heard BN isnt very competitive, but if you have seen my horse.. we have no chance! haha Kate, Where are you? I love Dressage. Especially Cheap Dressage. In the fall my horse will be in Cookeville with me at school! How far are you from Cookeville?
    *Paige*
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

Ain't it the truth Deltawave...I was happy to get in the low 30s but that doesn't cut it. Our last 34 got us a 10th in dressage. Our personal best is 29 and did let us win the division. But I have been seeing a lot of low 20s and even some teens. We have much work to do!

do you very knowledgable people know what dressage scores are like for BN?
    *Paige*
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

Go to http://www.useventing.com/competitio...ction=calendar and click (Results) on the right-hand side of events that have already run this year.

You can see all of 2008's results (including the AECs) here:
    http://useventing.com/competitions.p...ndar&year=2008

Yes. For BN, most divisions at MayDaze, which was the biggest event I've been to, would have been won at about 30. (i.e. 2nd place was over 30). There were some very low scores in the winners though. It seemed like every division, there was quite a gap from first to 2nd. For example, in the Horse division, the winning score was 28 or so, and then 2nd was 34. Big gap there, and it made the 2nd place finisher feel a lot better about her fairly crap dressage riding, since it wouldn't have made any difference anyway.

Beware the restricted Rider division - in a small show, you're lumped all together with the Juniors, and there's just no way - they're down there in the 20s. But if the show is big, and you're old enough, then there's a separate Senior BNR division and you're sorted - easy street. What sort of numpty would be all grown up, and unable to go bigger than BN ? Numpty's like me, ferinstance, that's who.

I tell you, I kick some bum in SBNR.

Quote Originally Posted by KateWooten View Post

I tell you, I kick some bum in SBNR.

Remember that one time? When we pitched a fit for being dumped in the OBN division? And then we wouldn't have gotten ribbons at all if we'd been in the BNR division? But we got 4th(?) and 5th in OBN?!?!

Of course I remember that 'one' time (at band camp?) ... you don't forget one time, when there have only been two times altogether I don't remember you pitching a fit too, though, I thought it was just me

Yes - always a good mve, of you can, to get put in with the old dears, and not the little Pony Club girls - they iz scarey !

I was looking at Maydaze results. Why are the division broken up into A B C?
    Thanks bunches!
    *Paige*
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

Because there were so many of us ! They tend to like to keep the numbers between 15-20 in each division - that way there is no advantage for qualifying to those of us in an eventing black hole ! If you think about it, if they didn't split the divisions, I'd have a whole lot better chance of getting a qualifying score by attending a teeny tiny local event, with only 15 riders, than with a Big Show at the Kentucky Horse Park, with 50 riders. By splitting the divisions so there are 17 in each, it levels the playing field (a bit) for areas with low density, as against areas like the NE with very competitive events.

so, they just randomly split up? So Ill never really be competing against more then 20 people? Thats how im understanding it.
    *Paige*
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

Never say never. I've ridden in divisions of 35-40, and more than once. As far as I'm aware it's random splitting when there's "A, B and C" of one particular division.

That's interesting deltawave - and encouraging too. I keep in touch with some eventering people in England, and have been a little dismayed at how relatively easy it is to place here rather than there, where they regularly have 40 in a division.