The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Peeing ALOT??

So I was just curious, heard about a horse who is peeing alot, like every 15 minutes or so, blood has been drawn on it, but does anyone have anything that comes to mind?

If it's a mare, first thought is she's in heat.

In a stallion/gelding, unless he's going around peeing on poop piles of other horses (territorial thing), no idea, but it can't be good.

Peeing a lot (because "alot" isn't a word, sorry but this one is a pet peeve) can come from kidney and bladder problems and from Cushings. It's one of the big Cushings indicators, higher water intake and frequent urination.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Quote Originally Posted by gammillgirl View Post
    So I was just curious, heard about a horse who is peeing alot, like every 15 minutes or so, blood has been drawn on it, but does anyone have anything that comes to mind?
    Sounds like a kidney infection. I would get a sample of the urine and have the vet check it. You might also consider using Renemin and Colomin from Swedish Horse Power. This combination really works on problems such as what your horse has. PM me if you want more info

a. lot. Not alot. Two words, please. '

Is she peeing a lot in terms of volume, or just a little, frequent dribble?

In the spring my horses pee in torrents, because they're eating green grass with high moisture content and (presumably, I don't have the grass analyzed) more nutrients than the hay they've been on all winter. The stalls are always MUCH wetter this time of year than any other.
    Click here before you buy.

In people and horses it can be related to insulin/diabetes problems.

There are a number of potential causes.

If the horse is also drinking more and urine volume is up? Could be IR or Cushings related.

It could be that the horse is now out on grass and hence water intake is up.

It could be a mare in heat or a gelding/stallion with a bean that is irritating causing more frequent but less volume each time.

It could be a kidney or urinary bladder issue.

Hard to say.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Could be the kidneys; get a urine sample to your vet.

Long story short: Could be something, could be normal. Knew a horse like that, vet saw her, eventually had to pe put down.

Getting the blood work pulled is a good first step. When I notice this in horses I would suspect Cushings or Thyroid.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

This is one of the classic signs of severe ulcers. My gelding was at this point and also off his food. One vet came out, pulled blood, hemmed and hawed, said she would get back to me about his insulin levels, mentioned it could be ulcers but had about 10 other things she thought it might be. It got very bad within the next few days and my gelding started to colic -- I called an older vet that's closer but that I don't use very often out of desperation since something seemed seriously wrong and I was running out of faith in my other vet (and she's farther away), and he diagnosed ulcers over the phone. Said this was very common in horses with ulcers -- they're doing whatever they can to try and relieve tummy pain. He recommended trying a few days of Ulcergard/Gastrogard to see if it worked. Lo and behold, he was right, it was ulcers! We went through the treatment and now he's on Ugard every day.
    Gentleman J - "Junior" - My been-there, done-that jumper

Send Your Love - "Serena" - Aug 10th 2009, Rest in Peace

Sorry I haven't had a chance to post an update....

Yes it is a gelding
    ALOT was done more for attention than proper grammar, but hey, whatever floats your boat =)
    Blood is drawn, as of today, still waiting, still peeing, he was treated for ulcers, just recently too, but that is interesting to know.

hmmmm

My husband's gelding pees a lot (we pretty much have to strip his stall daily), he's been checked for kidneys, thyroid, etc. etc. Turns out he just likes to drink water. A lot. "Polydipsia" I think is the term the vet used. (or maybe it was dipsophilic.... )

Jennifer

Default So blood works says....

A whole lotta nothing, everything came back normal =) So just gonna check a few more things and call him a guy who likes to pee, "ALOT" (heehee)

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdCharm View Post
    My husband's gelding pees a lot (we pretty much have to strip his stall daily), he's been checked for kidneys, thyroid, etc. etc. Turns out he just likes to drink water. A lot. "Polydipsia" I think is the term the vet used. (or maybe it was dipsophilic.... )

Jennifer

If the bloodwork has come back normal, chances are he has psychogenic polydipsia/polyuria. One of mine has this, but it seems to come and go for him. If he's drinking a ton, I was told to limit his intake, but it's nothing too serious it seems.
    A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

Quote Originally Posted by KristiKGC View Post
    If the bloodwork has come back normal, chances are he has psychogenic polydipsia/polyuria. One of mine has this, but it seems to come and go for him. If he's drinking a ton, I was told to limit his intake, but it's nothing too serious it seems.
    Very good!

Psychogenic polydipsia is an interesting "phenomenon" where it is thought by some, that a horse drinks excessive amounts of water as a form of "self entertainment".
    Copyright ©2007-2012, Percheron X
    My creative work may be used on the COTH forum only.

Yep, that's what my vet said about my guy too when his bloodwork came back normal. He has several of these habits... he also likes to rub his teeth on the bars of his corral (not cribbing or windsucking, just rubbing).

And, interestingly, as he has calmed and settled the peeing has seemed to decrease.

She did want me to get a urine sample so she could see if there were dilution issues, but now that he doesn't pee all the time anymore I can't seem to get one

Default Polydipsia/Polyuria???

Bumping this as I've been trying to do some research on polydipsia/polyuria. I have a new 5 year old OTTB gelding, in good weight and health who also seems to drink and pee excessively. For those of you who are dealing with possible polydipsia/polyuria, does the urine also seem to be excessively strong smelling? His stall pretty much has to be stripped daily, and the smell is strong enough to burn my eyes (and clear my nasal passages!). I'm trying to figure out if this is due to high concentration or just the excessive amount. Vet coming on Friday, so I want as much background info as possible to be able to discuss with her and also try to get a urine sample to go along with blood work.

He's not displaying any of the other signs of Cushings or IR, and has a tendancy towards nervous energy, so I'm thinking its classic PD/PU due to a new environment that includes free access to water and less exercise? My biggest concern is that I would think that with as much water as he's drinking, his urine should not smell so strong, hence the blood and urine tests.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

If he's peeing a lot due to excessive psychogenic water intake (polydipsia), the urine should be LESS concentrated/odorous. If the urine smells unusually strong I would suspect a physical problem. With my husband's gelding it's basically like someone dumped his water buckets in the middle of his stall. *sigh*

Jennifer

Agree with previous posters, though I'd like to add that one of my geldings had excessive urination as a symptom of HYPP. He was a grade gelding, with obvious QH lineage. Not likely to be the case in a lot of horses, but I thought it was worth mentioning.