The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default The cost of a PERFECT horse

What would you have to pay for an attractive horse aged 8 - 11 who can win the over fences and maybe the hack too on any given day, has had a couple years of showing and winning, vets 100% clean, does not need special shoes, meds or supplements, has no vices and although not a packer, has no real issues, at the level of:

1. 3' hunters local/state/B/C circuit
    2. 3' hunters A rated
    3. 3'6 hunters local/state/B/C circuit
    4. 3'6 hunters A rated
    5. 4' hunters

What is your general location?

1. 3' hunters local/state/B/C circuit - up to $15000
    2. 3' hunters A rated $15-20K
    4. 3'6 hunters A rated
    5. 4' hunters

What is your general location? True midwest - WEST of the Mississippi and east of the Rockies

As an adult rider who has a child, I would also want this to be a horse that DD could do childrens on in the future if she chooses. 100% safe is my #1 selling point. I have no real desire to do anything over 3' on a regular basis, but know that those horses when green around here go for at least $25000.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

These are the numbers I think of, but I'm definitely no pro in the area (also not quite sure what this B and C level stuff in the US is exactly?):

#1 and #3 - 10-25k
    #2 and #4 - 50-100k
    #5 - 150k+

I think it really all depends on so many things even other than what you listed, it's hard to say. Not that we have many hunters right now, but I'm located in Holland.
    I'd rather be riding!

Smile

There really aren't any "perfect" horses. Many come close (and we have had one), but most of the time they all have a few things wrong and you have to decide what you can live with and what you can't.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

2/4 depends on what type of A show. Winning at a smaller A/AA show is different than winning at WEF, Harrisburg, Devon and so on. But assuming the horse can win at the average A/AA show and legitimately belongs at those other shows even if being in the hunt for ch/res isn't a foregone conclusion, I'd say $65K - 350K with the lower end of the scale being the 3'0 horse (maybe topping out at $200K). Then again, a lot of it has to do with who is selling the horse... Some can be found for less and some for more. I'm thinking "less" is more the case these days.

#5 is not a lot different because so few people buy a horse strictly to do the regulars. Except for a few exceptional individuals, most those horses would still be evaluated on their ability in the jrs/aos, so 2/4 still applies.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

A lot depends on the ridablity of the horse.
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

The perfect horse comes along about as often as the perfect rider.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHorse View Post
    That was my first thought when I read this. Generally hunters are being bought for clients, ammies and juniors. What good would the horse be for them if it was strictly a pro-ride horse. The "seeing eye" horse will be at the higher values of the ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHorse View Post

Not a total packer, but no issues. Jumps 8 jumps, does the strides w/no problem, and does changes w/no problem. Your average rider will get around with no big problems, and your good rider will get a great round.

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash44 View Post
    What would you have to pay for an attractive horse aged 8 - 11 who can win the over fences and maybe the hack too on any given day, has had a couple years of showing and winning, vets 100% clean, does not need special shoes, meds or supplements, has no vices and although not a packer, has no real issues, at the level of:

2. 3' hunters A rated
    4. 3'6 hunters A rated
    5. 4' hunters

Assuming you are shopping at the above venues and not shaking the backwoods bushes.
    1. 20,000-35,000
    2. 35,000-100,000
    4.100,000-400,000

3 really doesn't exist for us.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

1. 3' hunters local/state/B/C circuit - $20,000-$30,000
    2. 3' hunters A rated - $30,000-$65,000
    3. 3'6 hunters local/state/B/C circuit - $25,000-$40,000 (though it should be noted that there really is no such thing as a local jr hunter around here. when you see jr hunters at a B/C/schooling show around here, it's the same horses at the A's, theyre just warming up at a C show)
    4. 3'6 hunters A rated - $65,000-$200,000
    5. 4' hunters - $100,000 and up from there

central NJ where everything is expensive
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

Quote Originally Posted by Flash44 View Post

2. 3' hunters A rated
    4. 3'6 hunters A rated
    5. 4' hunters

It all depends on how much YOU are worth, then the trainers ability to sell you a horse for what ever price he thinks he/she can get out of you and then of course your location

If you live Show WEF it starts at $50,000.00 for a lead line pony
    If you live in BFE , same pony as above $500.00
    3ft Local Horse / WEF, no such thing but if there were, it would be $65,000
    BFE same Horse $6,500

Get it , it's just a matter of dropping or adding a zero or 2

[QUOTE=Flash44;4100171]What would you have to pay for an attractive horse aged 8 - 11 who can win the over fences and maybe the hack too on any given day, has had a couple years of showing and winning, vets 100% clean, does not need special shoes, meds or supplements, has no vices and although not a packer, has no real issues, at the level of:

1. 3' hunters local/state/B/C circuit: $15,000-$25,000
    2. 3' hunters A rated: $45,000-$55,000
    3. 3'6 hunters local/state/B/C circuit: $35,000-$40,000 but I am not sure I have ever seen a 3'6 hunter division anywhere but an A show.
    4. 3'6 hunters A rated: $80,000 and up
    5. 4' hunters: $150,000 at the least

What is your general location?: Zone 3

You also have to consider where you are shopping. Some trainers have the ability to add the zeros and people still keep coming back. Then there are other circumstances where you find your next A Circuit hunter with a big old hay belly out in the field somewhere.
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the
    inside of a man.

-Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by MIKES MCS View Post
    It all depends on how much YOU are worth, then the trainers ability to sell you a horse for what ever price he thinks he/she can get out of you and then of course your location

BFE same Horse $6,500

I agree. Quite true and well said

Quote Originally Posted by MIKES MCS View Post

BFE same Horse $6,500

Is this a trick question? I could NOT agree more. I have found many horses "backwoods" that have gone on to these levels, working with one now... But, and it's a BIG BUTT , you have to have an eye, a good Vet (for the PPE), and good training to make these dreams come true...

Though with my current prospect we are NOT quite to that level, YET!
    "There is dignity in lightness, truth in patience,
    but only ignorance in force"... www.cedarpinefarm.com

On a more serious note, though I do not have experience with selling MADE horses at these levels, I am now going to quote you may my previous sales, between 3-4 yr old (Hano/OLD) horses, as "prospects" for your requested levels (in the past three years):

1. 3' hunters local/state/B/C circuit - $25K
    2. 3' hunters A rated - $30-$35K
    3. 3'6 hunters local/state/B/C circuit (we don't really market for this)
    4. 3'6 hunters A rated - $32,500-$40K
    5. 4' hunters - Haven't had one yet

What is your general location? Virginia
    "There is dignity in lightness, truth in patience,
    but only ignorance in force"... www.cedarpinefarm.com

I can only comment on the 3' hunter at the A level, since that is what I do. I don't think you can touch what you want for under $50K, if that. What you are looking for is almost impossible to find, not impossible but almost, in any economy. If you have a horse like that, why in the world would you ever want to sell it? I have one that almost fits the bill and I will never ever part with her for any amount of money. They are just too hard to find.