The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Peeling on his uhm....yeah

Ok, just when you think you've seen it all, something odd comes up to keep your life interesting.

I just purchased a new horse (Apdx QH). I noticed when I bought him that it looked like he hadn't had a sheath cleaning in a VERY long time (really scrotty looking when he dropped.) Since I was having the vet out for shots and a new coggins, I had her knock him out and do his cleaning. She did it, we had a chat and both went on with our day.

While giving him a bath last night, he dropped and I looked at him - he looked like before he'd been cleaned, although I know the vet cleaned him up. I touched him to see how stuck on the scaly bits were -- hoping I could just wet him down and wipe most of it off. Turns out it isn't/wasn't a scrotty penis, but it's actually peeling and that's skin hanging off of him! I'm not talking a piece of skin here or there - I'm talking from the head of his penis to about 8-10" up. She didn't mention anything about it (I would think it would be something worth mentioning, no?). Any ideas about what would cause it/what I can do about it? Any experience with it?

I am going to give her a buzz tomorrow morning, but if anyone has any experience with something similar, let me know!

Yeah. Sometimes soap will cause the skin too become too dry. Anti-bacterial soap will also disrupt the natural skin flora and contribute to drying. Try a bit of light mineral oil.

This is why I only have MARES!!!!!

Penis is not a dirty word.

Try a little baby oil to relieve the dryness.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

My youngest gelding gets like that, no matter how clean I try to keep him. So, what I do, is if he is dropped and I notice that he looks a bit scaley, I just put some baby oil on it, and it clears up on it's own.

My older gelding does not have the same issue, must just be different body chemistry.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

spray baby oil on it then leave it alone they are slef cleaning and not menat to be man handled usless for medical reasons or stud work

Quote Originally Posted by goeslikestink View Post
    spray baby oil on it then leave it alone they are slef cleaning and not menat to be man handled usless for medical reasons or stud work
    Whew. Cuz otherwise I'm never getting a boy horse. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by goeslikestink View Post
    They are meant to be self-cleaning when they are left intact and used for the purpose for which they are created. However, geldings don't have that opportunity, do they? Therefore, I disagree and geldings need to be cleaned now and then.
    --Gwen <><
    "Treat others as you want to be treated and be the change you want to see in the world."
    http://www.thepenzancehorse.com

While I think the baby oil approach would work if it looked like a minor case of dry skin, but I'm talking about it looks like the skin hanging off of a burn victim...for some reason I don't think baby oil is gonna cut it.

(and kookicat, I agree penis isn't a dirty word, but I wasn't sure if the moderators would allow it in a subject line...)

Quote Originally Posted by caballus View Post
    They are meant to be self-cleaning when they are left intact and used for the purpose for which they are created. However, geldings don't have that opportunity, do they? Therefore, I disagree and geldings need to be cleaned now and then.
    Yes, man has "meddled" by creating a gelding, but for the most part they still can be left alone. I've never owned a gelding that had to be cleaned, of course I understand that some do. I also believe some people enjoy it too much.

A stallion in the wild is not out there breeding at will, natural selection generally dictates only the best specimens pass on their genes.....and even then only in their prime which would only be a few years of their life. So for the majority of a wild stallion's life his penis gets as much attention and use as a domestic gelding's.

GirlGeek,

Since you are unfamiliar with the horse penis you should check with your vet. Could be a problem with the vets cleaning solution, maybe didnt get rinsed real well. Most likely it is not a problem.
    Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
    Not in the 42% or the 96%

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by GirlGeek View Post
    While I think the baby oil approach would work if it looked like a minor case of dry skin, but I'm talking about it looks like the skin hanging off of a burn victim...for some reason I don't think baby oil is gonna cut it.

(and kookicat, I agree penis isn't a dirty word, but I wasn't sure if the moderators would allow it in a subject line...)
    My horse gets the "scalies" too; he has chronic dry skin on his penis, and I don't know why that is, but it also contributes to faster development of beans, so you might want to think about that with yours. Anyway, I keep the area well lubricated (provide your own jokes) with baby oil, applied about once a week, and peel off what comes easily. Since adopting this regimen the scalies haven't been half the problem that they used to be.

I also clean with baby oil and water rather than Ivory soap if I can; I have to be up there every two weeks or so (he is high maintenance in that respect) and I try to avoid drying the skin further.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Some are just more prone to dry skin post-washing than others. I use Excalibur on all my boys and had never had a problem. My son got a pony gelding who I don't think had ever been cleaned (took a combination of dormosedan, Ace, a twitch, warm water, and wrestling him into a corner to get the job done- ugh!). Poor guy was a bit puffy and had the worst "bean" (more like a ring) of white waxy crud (not like the usual grey bean) all the way around his urethra. Anyway, after getting that all out and cleaning him up, he too peeled like there was no tomorrow. The baby oil is a good tip!
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

Does the skin look tender or raw under it?

Or is it just dead skin sloughing off and not getting flushed away (ha ha) with healthy skin under it?

Folks using baby oil might want to go to straight mineral oil instead. Baby oil is MOSTLY mineral oil, with some perfume added. Read the ingredients label. Perfume reaction is REALLY painful, can cause huge sores.

I had a horse react very BADLY to baby oil used on his tailbone, causing sores and hair loss. I HATE to think what would have happened if I had used baby oil on his penis!! He was in rough shape, ended up loosing almost half the hair on that tailbone. Bone was covered in oozy sores that took a while to clear up, had to regrow his tail. And that was only one application, rubbed into the bone! Listerine mix was the saving product for us there, to ease his pain and the runny sores. Got his skin cleared up, soft and smooth again on the bone, hair coming back.

I went to the mineral oil only for his tail bone dryness, had no reactions from that horse to the mineral oil. He just was extremely sensitive to the perfume additive, had the terrible reaction. I had a half brother to this horse, but we didn't dare try the baby oil on him at all. I just changed to mineral oil for tails on everyone in the barn. No other horse over many years, had ever had a bad reaction to using baby oil on them.

Just a warning, compounded things like baby oil can cause adverse reactions in some animals, where the straight ingredient like mineral oil does not.

Sheath area is NOT a place you want to have a bad reaction to a product.

Hahah when i had my geldings i did mine....and all the others in the barn to get extra $$$. It doesn't bother me at all. and their owners REFUSED to do it haha.

I actually used the sheath cleaning stuff. I can't remember what its called. I've since then sold my gelding and now have a mare so no need to get it... But its green gel looking stuff and works SOOO well it never dried any of my guys out! Everyone seemed happy afterward

go to the drug store, get the cheapest bottle of baby oil gel you can find.

take a huge GLOP of it on your hand and gently (and lovingly, they like that) place it up inside his sheath and whirl it around a bit.

when he drops and retracts it will clean itself.

do this about every two weeks and his weiny will be clean and shiny!

edited to add: I see the note now about baby oil; it probably doesn't matter what oil you use but I do like the gel format. maybe if you just make sure it has no added perfumes?

tea tree oil is the active ingredient in the excaliber.

Quote Originally Posted by webmistress32 View Post
    tea tree oil is the active ingredient in the excaliber.
    Thats what its called! Yea it smelled awesome. and just looked like it felt nice...No weirdness intended...

I wouldn't rub pure tea tree oil on it, though... it can be irritating!

Does ANYONE really *enjoy* cleaning sheaths? Really? The smell! Ugh.

Some geldings are naturally dirtier than others, but you at least need to fish out the "bean" once a year. If left alone they can block/swell/have other UTI problems.