The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Woo Hoo!! Mine That Bird!!

Lets give this horse some credit too! He is the real deal and hopefully it will be aknowledged. He ran a huge race also.

It was a great race but I was pulling for him all the way. 3 more strides and he would have had it. I quite fancy him for the Belmont unless some secret spoilers sneak in who are bred for the distance.

CONGRATS MINE THAT BIRD! YOU SHOWED 'EM!!!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Fair play to him, he made a believer out of me,. This is a real racehorse after all.
    Look forward to seeing him run for the next 5 or 6 years.

They just showed the iso and it really looked like the rider on the 10 horse intentionally forced MTB out wide. You can see the jockey looking at him and pushing his horse on. Mike had to pull him up for just a second. And he still got that close the RA!

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGoose View Post
    They just showed the iso and it really looked like the rider on the 10 horse intentionally forced MTB out wide. You can see the jockey looking at him and pushing his horse on. Mike had to pull him up for just a second. And he still got that close the RA!
    Yeah, I spotted that too. He didn't get a good run, and he STILL closed on her.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I'm so excited for Rachel Alexandra but MAN Mine That Bird ran some kinda race too! In a longer race he might have caught her I think. Both are phenomenal horses no doubt

Mine that Bird is very bred to win the Belmont, as his father won it.

It was a great race, and part of me was rooting for RA...I'm delighted that MTB was a good second (and remember she had 5 pounds to the good).

Gotta like him for 1.5 miles in 3 weeks- like father like son?

I would like to see them hook up again...how about the Travers?

i think that if the race was just a little bit longer Mine That Bird would of won it!

Quote Originally Posted by hrsgirl07 View Post
    i think that if the race was just a little bit longer Mine That Bird would of won it!
    Absolutely - 3 more strides, he would've had her.

Much as I normally love and support the fillies, MTB really deserved his shot at the Triple Crown. He would have been a very worthy winner, imho.

Am I missing the part where Mine That Bird lost his shot at the Triple Crown?

I wanted RA to win so bad -- until MTM almost caught her. I have the strangest feeling that I'm now personally responsible for there being no Triple Crown winner this year.

I think MTB could have done it. What a shocker/story for the ages that would have been.

Having said that, I still love, love, love that mare. She was the first mare to win in multiple decades, and the first horse ever to do so from so far out.

I strongly suspect the owner will NOT race her in the Belmont. He proved his point, and there is no upside.

Quote Originally Posted by akrogirl View Post
    Much as I normally love and support the fillies, MTB really deserved his shot at the Triple Crown. He would have been a very worthy winner, imho.
    He got his shot at the TC. He came up short.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    Am I missing the part where Mine That Bird lost his shot at the Triple Crown?
    I think he had a great shot at the triple crown if RA would not have been entered. But that is horse racing, she is a great horse. BUT....... MTB really proved himself out there who knows if Mike Smith hadn't run into a bit of a traffic jam he might have caught her! I am disapointed that he had to go up against RA but I am sooooo glad that he proved so many people wrong. THAT is the most satisfying.

Jess Jackson WILL run her in the Belmont, that is his style... I wish had kept her with the fillies and held out for the Travers or Breeders cup we might have had a TC!
    I love MTB!!!!!! I am so glad he was gaining on her....another 1/16 and he would have had her! and if she didn't like the track so be it, that is racing...now on to Belmont with this sweeping long turns....

I wonder how MTB would like the grass? A lot of great turf horses have a HUGE turn of foot at the end..May he race for years and be sound and happy!
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I think he had a great shot at the triple crown if RA would not have been entered. But that is horse racing, she is a great horse. BUT....... MTB really proved himself out there who knows if Mike Smith hadn't run into a bit of a traffic jam he might have caught her! I am disapointed that he had to go up against RA but I am sooooo glad that he proved so many people wrong. THAT is the most satisfying.
    I agree, I kept thinking "if she had not been in the race. . . " I was on the edge of my seat at the end of the race today. Hopefully these last two races will bring more fans to the tracks.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

He ran SUCH a great race. I'm a believer!

Quote Originally Posted by Drvmb1ggl3 View Post
    Fair play to him, he made a believer out of me,. This is a real racehorse after all.
    Look forward to seeing him run for the next 5 or 6 years.
    Ditto
    View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com

MTB really proved himself out there who knows if Mike Smith hadn't run into a bit of a traffic jam he might have caught her!
    Might? He came from so far behind and had to make up so much ground, it was awe inspiring. Then he got stuck in traffic, pushed to the outside and still kept gaining on the "super freak" filly. He would have had her in a few more strides even spotting the much larger horse 5#. Mike Smith did a credible job with what was presented to him. However, I believe Calvin would have done it differently.

I sincerely doubt we'll see this filly in NY. Nice win but she's no super horse, IMO.