The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I HATE Low rise breeches. Surely someone must make hunter breeches w/ a regular waist

HELP! I am looking for breeches with a waist that is actually waist height - not low rise. But that seems to be all that is available these days.

I look HORRIBLE in these supposedly fashionable low waist style of breeches. Sure they may look fine on girls in their teens or early twenties. But Im not one of those!

Im still a very active rider in my 50's and am in good shape but I will not be seen in public in that style! Manufacturers should cater to those of us with money to spend on riding attire. Somehow, they don't seem to have gotten the message that those of us in mid life with careers actually have Money to spend on our riding hobbies! Gee Whiz!

Everyting I see tends to be aimed at the younger set. It is very frustrating!

I have a pair of denim breeches that I've had for about 8 years that are SO comfortable and have a "classic" waist that sits right at waist height. So far I have NOT been able to find anything even close to that fit. I jump so would prefer the hunter style but at this point, would clearly consider full seat if that was all I could find.

Appreciate all your ideas!

Ariat pro circuit makes both regular height and low rise. I too prefer the regular height. Great pair of breeches, machine wash and dry, still look fabulous after many many shows.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

im 16 and sooooo prefer the regular rise!!!!!!

tailored sportsman has regular rise in all of their styles as does ariat i believe but im a tailoreds fan myself!

if you want the fun colored tailoreds in regular rise you can order them from farmhousetack.com

I second the Ariats. Their fabric is nice, too. I believe TS also makes at least one non-low rise model. For schooling, the Cotton Naturals are very comfortable and have full coverage.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Tailored Sportsman makes all of their breeches in both regular and low rise; I believe Ariat does the same. You can also get Pikeur breeches in regular and low rise. Personally, being somewhat short waisted the low rise are a godsend for me (as they sit at my actual waist, meaning I don't have the "waistband" of my breeches functioning as a bra...)
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I wear Trainer's Choice Rene - sit at the waist and wick moisture. Love them although you cannot find them everywhere. Comfortable, wash well and war well. Love them. I think you can find them at VTO Saddlery on line - or try eBay as often there at greatly reduced prices new with tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    Personally, being somewhat short waisted the low rise are a godsend for me (as they sit at my actual waist, meaning I don't have the "waistband" of my breeches functioning as a bra...)
    I'll echo that! "regular waist" breeches sit perilously high on my rib cage. I don't think the low rise breeches are aimed at the younger crowd, just the shorter waisted crowd

One thing to think about (with the popularity of low rise breeches these days) is searching for regular rise breeches on E-bay. Sure seem to be a lot of regular waist breeches on there whenever I'm looking for low rise. And, as others have noted, I think all of the breech manufacturers make both low and regular rise.

i am 17 and much prefer the regular rise too i mean, i can get away with low rise just fine, i'll wear it if i really want a pair of breeches that dont come in anything with a regular/higher rise (sometimes they do, but i dont feel like special ordering some things, yano?)

however, there are plenty of breeches that come in regular rise. All of the tailored sportsman breeches come in both low and regular rise options. not the cheapest, but theyre great breeches. ariat also makes a few of their breeches with a reg rise option, i believe. i have some kerrits schooling tights that didnt really come in an option, but they are a regular rise. on me, theyre even kind of high, and normally a regular rise only comes up to about my belly button (i have long legs, maybe thats why. it's funny though, cause i've got a short torso. i know plenty of super tall lanky people who claim the reg rise is almost a shelf bra on them, and i have no idea how its possible that theyre fine on me and not on them, but who cares? haha) i also have some cheap sigma and tuffrider ones that are a regular rise. plenty of breeches come in this option.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

I hear ya!! I am VERY long waisted and low rise causes "carpenter crack" on me, which is NOT flattering!!!

Thanks for all the good ideas.
    Will check out ebay - have had some success there before. And will look for TS and Ariats. I really need some good schooling breeches so hope I can find something that fits well and isnt too much $$$.

Also, the low-rise can be WAY different depending on the brand.
    IMHO, the TS low rise are much more acceptable than the Ariats (Ariats= need trip to get waxed first).

Quote Originally Posted by Pirateer View Post
    Also, the low-rise can be WAY different depending on the brand.
    IMHO, the TS low rise are much more acceptable than the Ariats (Ariats= need trip to get waxed first).
    Haha YES! Devon Aire Hipsters are also that way.

I second the Kerrits! I'm wearing their low rise and they are SO comfortable. Seriously I can't wait to buy a few more pairs!!

You might want to try low-rise in a Long or Tall. Yes, the legs are a bit longer, but who cares...they're tucked into your socks. I find the Long low-rise is a nice compromise between regular rise and low-rise.
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

I'm 33 yrs old, 5"8 and 140 lbs (size 30 long TS) and cannot possibly wear the regular rise any more! They are up around my breasts and make it look like i have male genitals! That being said, i only ride in low rise TS and have never felt that they were too low, or were anywhere near a carpenter crack. this is an interesting thread b/c there are all different ages chiming in and it would be interesting (although i am not asking anyone to disclose their body type) if one body type prefers regular rise over low rise....

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    I'll echo that! "regular waist" breeches sit perilously high on my rib cage. I don't think the low rise breeches are aimed at the younger crowd, just the shorter waisted crowd

One thing to think about (with the popularity of low rise breeches these days) is searching for regular rise breeches on E-bay. Sure seem to be a lot of regular waist breeches on there whenever I'm looking for low rise. And, as others have noted, I think all of the breech manufacturers make both low and regular rise.
    I think breeches are cut like this on purpose...it's so only your breeches show when your coat flaps in the breeze around course. You don't want your shirt showing.

Luckily, I'm short waisted so if the TS breeches are a bit high, they fit perfectly on me. I love the 4-way, especially the color...a nice light tan.

I think the low-rise were invented for the under 25 crowd who like to wear their jeans low enough so their underwear (whatever type) shows. I'm now seeing "muffin top" with the breech-wearing crowd. Yuk...put on your granny breeches if that's going to happen.

I wear both, but certainly prefer the low-rise TS, 28L. I'm 25, 5'6 and 130lb. All of my (lack of) height is in my upper leg, I can comfortably lay my head on my knees to take a nap (have done it on flights to/from Hawaii). The regular rise certainly eliminates any shirt showing beneath my jacket but is extremely uncomfortable because the waistline sits right under my ribcage. The low-rise TS sits right at my bellybutton which is much closer to my actual wait. I agree that the Ariats are cut too low, so I stick with the TS. Anything, breeches, jeans, you-name-it that sit below my hip bones are too low and will not be worn.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpWithPanache View Post
    I wear both, but certainly prefer the low-rise TS, 28L. I'm 25, 5'6 and 130lb. All of my (lack of) height is in my upper leg, I can comfortably lay my head on my knees to take a nap (have done it on flights to/from Hawaii).
    You wore breeches to Hawaii?

Naw, but I did get an awesome saddle pad!

Quote Originally Posted by Pirateer View Post
    (Ariats= need trip to get waxed first).

But seriously, I have a terrible time finding breeches. Most regular waist breeches are too short in the rise, and the low rise won't stay up on my flat can. Pikeur made one style that fit perfectly, the Cathy. I bought one pair in 2005 the last time I was there, and should have bought more of them. Of course, since then, Pikeur stopped making them.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

I have three pairs of the Ariat fawn Pro Circuits (regular rise) that retail for $200+, purchased on eBay for $89. Apparently the fawn color wasn't popular, but it's perfect for schooling. Just do a search on something like Ariat + fawn + ProCircuit + breech. They show up pretty regularly.

Agree with Pirateer about the Ariat low rise. I can live with the TS or the Tuff Rider low rise.
    The Evil Chem Prof