The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hawaii

Hi. I am lucky enough to be going to the Big Island for a few days,and wonder if anyone has a favorite tack store there? I don't think I'll get to ride at all, but maybe a cool Hawaiian saddle pad or something...

thanks

L

I have a friend who lives on the Big Island. She always does mail order for any tack. Tack stores and feed stores are one and the same. You won't find anything like you are used to on the mainland. Enjoy your visit though. I try to go once a year to see my friend. It truly is Paradise. Forget about riding for a few days, there are lots of other things to do there.
    Oh, and have a cup of Kona coffee, its the best!
    Lilykoi

Hell hath no fury like the chestnut thoroughbred mare

I'm going to Maui next month. I'm going to forget about horses and ride a mule for the first time over on the island of Molokai. It's suppose to be a beautiful tour. It's the only thing I haven't done in all my years of going over there. My brother lives there, so we visit often.

Have fun!

I'm in Maui right now... and I bought so many souveniers for friends that there'd be no room for tack!

No tack store, but recommend the Kahua Ranch. They throw the absolutely BEST barbeque...but you gotta make reservations. Their own beef!! If you leave the Kona airport and go left ...All the way down the other end of that road (miles and miles ) is a tall mountain where you hit a T intersection and have to stop. Look up- They are on top of that mountain. Gorgeous GORGEOUS scenery (you can see many other islands) and its a true working ranch to boot. We had a large party there with a tour group we went with...one of the absolutely Best parts of that trip.
    http://www.kahuaranch.com/node/1

Oh ya-and please scritch the family pig for me....
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

thanks macmtn! That sounds good!

I do plan to just enjoyt he is land for the week and not think about horses, no trail rides, etc... (depends on how strong the withdrawal symptoms are....), so the BBQ sounds like just the right thong.

L

Default Kahua Ranch

The Big guy in their website picture is the spitting image of Hoss Cartright of Bonanza. ( He can rope too! -they have a whole wild west thing they do after the barbeque)They were all the Nicest folks...we had such a blast we went back there on our second trip.
    There is an ancient Hawaiian kind of park called the Place Of Refuge down the coast from Kona. It was a place where-if you did an evil deed-killed someone or stole-you got yourself to this place and lived there for a year. Then the Hawaiian king declared your 'sin' was wiped out. Its a very peaceful place-sand, waves, palm trees, green turtles. A really Massive black lava rock wall surrounding it..and reproductions of true Hawaiian huts and other buildings. Lots of carvings, and other stuff. Very spiritual...and oh did I ever want to move there! (me and most everyone who visits)
    And if you get the time visit the Kona Living History Farm-also down the coast from Kona. http://www.konahistorical.org/tours-farm.html
    tours, Coffee being grown along with lots of other produce. All that coffee is hand picked.. And the actual houses (with furnishings) the help lived in when they worked the coffee farm in past centuries. They have a really neat drying shed for the coffee beans-the whole roof rolls back to let the beans dry then rolls closed if it rains. The coffee? out*of*this*world.
    OK-am officially jealous-can I sneak a ride in your bag? I wanna go back...I wanna go back...
    IF/when I ever win the lotto I am moving to Kaiula Kona...someplace up the coast near where the wild burrows live.
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

I'm jelouse too! I went for a week over christmas and had one of the best trips ever! The snorkelling is awesome - we ending up swimming with a school of dolfins at a place known as two step. If you go to the volcanoes national park from Kona keep an eye peeled on the right side of the road - there's a guy that keeps a Zebra and a Donkey in a pasture there. We were driving by on Christmas morning and I started yelling Zebra, Zebra DH was like whatever - so I made him turn around the car and sure enough there was a zebra in a pasture with a donkey - something else too - I can't remember. Well the owner was out feeding them and told me about how he had imported the zebra as a baby and has had it ever since. Really nice guy. I've always been facinated by Zebras! Hiking out to watch the active lava after dark is a really cool experience - even though you don't get really close.

Oh- and if you get a chance dive or snorkel with the Manta Rays -that totally blew me away (we were sitting on the bottom with scuba gear and I lowered my dive light to scratch and the Manta Ray swam into my head...) They are so cool!

Have fun - we loved the big island!

I remember that Zebra! It was So out of context pastured there beside the road...I think there is a buffalo around there also.
    Just a hint for those who want to see the highlights but don't know where to start...on Any place you are thinking of visiting.
    Go to the Tauck Family Tours website. Check out the stops the tours make...that will give you the most interesting places to see. Tauck is a very thorough high class tour company...highly recommended. Or-just steal their ideas off the website...

manta rays... isn't that diving at night? Not too sure I can really get into the water at night. My dive card is long gone and out of date - did some people snorkle?

Try the gift shop up at Parker Ranch....

I love the Big Island. Hopefully the Vog will not be too bad while you are there. We had a great time on the Fairwinds II snorkling around Capt. Cooks memorial...

Have a great time!

The Manta Ray dives are at night- but they have snorkellers too. The Mantas come to feed on plankton that congregates by lights. So they give lights to the snokelers and the divers and the Mantas are doing flips and go right up to both the snorkelers and divers. Other than that dive I think the shore diving/ snorkelling was better than the boat diving/ snorkelling. I would say to save your money for a night snorkel with the Mantas and just swim out from shore for day time snorkelling.

I'm pretty sure there was a buffalo in with the zebra and donkey that would explain why I couldn't remember it - we have buffalo farms all over here - so I tend to think of donkeys as more unusual than a buffalo

Everything is mail order to Hawaii. There are no real tack stores and the few you find have one hell of a markup. Even on Oahu, I still have to mail order just about EVERYTHING.

Whoever mentioned the Vog, you're not kidding. If you're lucky it'll all be blowing down to us on Oahu. Yuck!!! The Vog makes the island look as smoggy as L.A.!!!

Better to buy the coconut shell top and luau skirt combo. You can wear it to future Halloween parties. I stick to Christmas tree ornaments when I buy suverniors, once a year I get to reminisce about my past travels and my tree is very eclectic.