The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best outdoor trunk?

After finding a good 2 inches in the bottom of my rubbermaid tub this am I've come to the relization I need something better! I pasture board my horses and while I have access to barn/facilities I do not get a locker. BO has graciously allowed me to have a box by their field. Mostly it holds supplies, extra fly masks, wound stuff. IE things they might need for my guys when I'm not arround. I need something that can take a beating, and endure the elements. I kinda like this http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctClassid=2112
    but would love sugestions and feed back.

Seems like a lot of money for a plastic box that will get brittle in the sun.

Have you checked the Rubbermaid to see where it is leaking in? Maybe making some gaskets to seal it better? I have found the craft store Foamy sheets with sticky on one side, make great gaskets.

In addition, perhaps drilling holes in the bottom for drainage, setting the box up on a couple of pavers, above the dirt, so it can drain if water gets inside. I would silicone some WIRE mesh for mice over any holes, to prevent entry. Perhaps some plastic boxes inside, to keep the various items in order. A box for meds, a box for leads, etc, would be a secondary water protection, and keep the contents neatly contained to.

You might check out truck supplies, look at those bed boxes that open on each end. They are supposed to be weather resistant. You might even find a used one in a classified or Craigslist ad, plastic or metal, and redo the gaskets for water prevention, for holding your things.

Rubbermaid makes boxes called Action Packers that are weather resistant. We used them when going to the lake and needing to take lots of stuff that we didn't really want wet. I've seen them at WalMart in the auto section.

http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid...=HPProd2942118
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

I have a big black plastic trunk by Contico that is amazing. I got mine at Lowe's. It's lightweight, big, weatherproof, and sturdy enough to double as a mounting block.
    Have YOU ever looked into the eyes of a rich white child who has just lost a jumping competition?

I have two Contico boxes. Both were tack trunks. One now lives in the back of my truck with work stuff in it. Everything stays dry. Makes a great mounting block. One used to be my show trunk before I got the rolling Stanley trunk for that. Got mine in the automotive section at WalMart. The Contico box is just a heavy duty box for the back of your pick up. Think mine was $40 at Wal-Mart a few years ago.
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here." ~ Desiderata by Max Ehrmann

Quote Originally Posted by 2LeftHooves View Post
    I need something that can take a beating, and endure the elements. I kinda like this http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctClassid=2112
    but would love sugestions and feed back.
    Those are super tough and well-made. Get the grey to keep the color from fading in the sun and keep the things inside cooler. Can't go wrong with the Burlingham products.
    --o0o--

Stanley Tool Chests- you can get them at a hardware store. Lockable and durable, they have lots of storage space and trays!
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by mypaintwattie View Post
    Stanley Tool Chests- you can get them at a hardware store. Lockable and durable, they have lots of storage space and trays!
    I have one of those, bought for very little at Loewes, under $50.- for the large one, when they had a sale.
    Those are great and have two wheels and a handle, so you can move them around easily.
    This is the small one:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/tls/1163514950.html

Default Someone help me!

For the life of me, I can't find anything bigger than the 24 gallon Stanley trunk anywhere in NC - and that one doesn't look big enough to even put my wraps in. I looked at Lowe's today, and can't find them on Walmart's site, or Home Depot.

Anybody have a recent lead on them? I did find it on Amazon, but it's like $130!!!!

I use a 'deck/porch' storage trunk - heavy plastic w/attached lid, handles, small wheels on one end (normally used to store patio furniture cushions). Mine is over 8 years old and has taken a 'weather beating' - got on-sale in the Fall for $50, and it's huge.

I was going to use these when storing my stuff outside:

http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid...at=HPCat100685

Quote Originally Posted by mbmarsh View Post
    For the life of me, I can't find anything bigger than the 24 gallon Stanley trunk anywhere in NC - and that one doesn't look big enough to even put my wraps in. I looked at Lowe's today, and can't find them on Walmart's site, or Home Depot.

Anybody have a recent lead on them? I did find it on Amazon, but it's like $130!!!!
    I couldn't find the larger Stanley trunks online on HD or Lowe's sites... but I found them in the actual stores... even when the website said that my local store did not have them.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

Just to be sure - did you find them recently? Like within the last month or so? I went to Lowe's today, but they didn't have them - I'll go to HD and see, but didn't want to be chasing my tail. Thanks so much!

We got a Stanley trunk at Lowe's on Sunday for $49 - the large kind.

Really - when I went today, all they had was the 24 gallon one, and it was listed for $49......this is too weird.

I got a couple of patio boxes from Canadian tire http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...Deck%2BBox.jsp

Listed at 80 bucks but I got mine on sale at half price. Great to keep everything in and then I can just toss in the trailer to go to an event. Has small wheels to help move it.

Nancy!

A military friend gave us a military rifle sotrage bin. It holds about a gross of large guns. We took out the stryophome and it gave a huge box--6'x6'x3' maybe? Totallly mouseproof and waterproof. Dunno where you could get em but as long as you dont plan on moving them they are da bomb for storage outside.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Rubbermaid used to make nice tack trunks - their only failing was that the red latches tended to break loose, but since the trunk itself locked, this was not a significant issue. I don't know if they are still available. I've seen lighter gauge Contico boxes that lacked the sturdiness of my Rubbermaid trunk, which I've been using since the early 90's...or was it the late 80's...

For general storage of things that don't have to be locked, a good deck box is fantastic. They are roomy, easy to open and close, easy to clean, and come in sizes from footlocker size to monstrous. I use one for my garden stuff, and another holds the camping gear, both stored outdoors. One box does have locking capability, but I would not be inclined to store tack in them, unless it was something like Wintec. It wouldn't be the best home for your good leather saddlery.

The Stanley trunks that can be moved around like little hand trucks are very nice. We have them for other things, and their portability is a major plus. I used to keep my carriage harness in a large Rubbermaid-type container with wheels on one end, probably originally designed for Christmas trees. While it was made for mobility, it was a major pain to do so, and I had to move it with a strap looped around the handles on the wheel-less end. It was dry and durable, but the designers never thought about what the puller would be doing with their own legs while attempting to pull said box.

As a fancier of plastic storage containers and garments with pockets, both with endless possibilities for stowing things, I have a wide range of brands and types, and overall, the Rubbermaid tubs last very well. The Rubbermaid Action Packers can be locked, and the lids are secured by latches, but there's no theft protection, really. If someone wants something, they'll just take the box unless it is secured to an immovable object. In that case they can just open it with a utility knife.

If wet weather is a common issue, they do make weather covers for show trunks, which might be available in a size compatible with your affordable storage of choice. By repelling the bulk of the rain and snow, yet being easy to open compared to messing about with the ever-popular blue tarp with bungees and rocks, that would be the good choice. It wouldn't be hard to create a decent rain cover of some type, but it has to be secured so it cannot blow away in anything less than a tornado.