The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy GAH! Winter is coming!

Winter is nearly here.

16 more days.

Again.

Cons:

- I have to go and get more track pants, because they shrink every year from the amount of frost in the morning.

- I have to stock up on quarter sheets. Will probably make my own this year, from fleece rugs from the discount store.

- I have to freeze my hands off every morning braking the ice on the water troughs.

- I have to start rapping my selection of bits in cotton rags, so they don't freeze, and Taffy actually lets them in his mouth.

- Coldness

- Wet socks

- Coldness

- Gale force winds

- Only an hour a day to do ANYTHING with my horse.

- Exams

Pros:

- My birthday

- Shows

- Going to New Zealand to see family

- Soup. I like soup

- Pumpkins. I LOVE pumpkins (How many teens do you hear say THAT )

- New Clothes

- My birthday

- Getting my learners permit

- MAYBE snow

- My horsey gets to wear a big duvet

- More riding lessons

- Less football on the TV

- Tack Store Sales

What does winter mean to you..?

I got very confused for a minute until I saw you were from Australia. Don't do that to me.
    I'm not even discussing winter at the moment! It does not exsist!
    “And live like you ain’t afraid to die. And don’t be scared, just enjoy your ride.” Chris Ledoux ~ The Ride

I got confused to. Then I saw Austrlia also. Well we have summe starting here and just got out of the crappy winter. Winter mean BLAHHHH.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

To me winter means

CONS:
    -getting horses shod with rim pads and boriums
    -snow
    -ice
    -cold
    -blizzards
    -frozen fingers and toes
    -less riding unless you trailer to an indoor, which you can't sometimes because of road conditions.
    snow-blowing a trail around the ring then 2 big figure 8s so we can keep riding
    -spreading wet shavings on said trails for traction

PROS:

-NO BUGS!
    -riding in the snow (powder) is FUN! but doesn't happen too often around here (New England, USA) because there is usually a thick crust of ICE on top of said snow *sigh*
    -one blessed, blessed invention- HEATED WATER BUCKETS!
    -Riding on the BEACH! Great footing there, and no one around, usually, when it's windy and 20 degrees F out!

But never mind winter. It's Spring here now, and the darned BUGS are coming out already.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by LR1976 View Post
    I'm not even discussing winter at the moment! It does not exsist!
    I agree!

Winter means rain and lots of rain with maybe some snow. If you don't have a covered arena or access to one, you are SOL until the spring.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

You poor bastard. It's Spring here!!

funny I should read this on the first summer-like day we're having in northern Alaska. Although the air temp is only 35 degrees, we have brilliant sunshine, 24 hours of daylight, I'm running around in my t-shirt, birds arriving everywhere from the south; the air is filled with the sound of honking geese and swans and songbirds.

The beavers are up and about, and so are the grizzly bears in the hills. The land is still 70% covered in snow, but it's going fast. Last night at midnight my dog and I went skijoring in the clear evening sunshine. We followed the tracks of a mama bear and cubs, saw moose, an otter and a fox. On the hillside across the valleys, we observed a herd of wild muskoxen and I saw they have two new babies!
    The snow has that lovely, heavy, crystallized quality just before the melt; perfect for skiing.

Winter here? Oh, it's glorious. Lovely snow, endless trails, skijoring from ridge to ridge through untouched wilderness valleys that are as pristine and smoothly covered with snow, like an empty bathtub. Sure, there are days when it blows like a mother and you can't see beyond your front porch, but you just use those to rest and do crafts. I love all seasons here, it's so beautiful.

If only I had horses here my world would be complete!

saw this heading the eventer board and i was like, WHAT! it should be saying SUMMER'S here! don't scare me like that ! then i was like, oh wait, she must be in Australia (and surely, that's how it turned out)
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

I know! It's 7 degrees in the house in the morning. Too frickin' cold! And we're getting 140 kph winds today.

The title made me do a double-take: Oh my gosh! Has time passed that quickly?? Please, please don't let it start getting cold yet! I may have actually even had a suicidal thought or two.

And then I looked at the calendar to confirm that I have 4-6 months of pleasantly sweltering heat and humidity in front of me, and my heart was happy once again.
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*
    Proud Momma of *Capital Kiss* and Bottle Rocket!

I almost just got sick.
    Of course, winter is more bearable in Louisiana than summer in my opinion. I just don't like the CONSTANT mud in the winter.
    Katie

I refuse to discuss winter until at least November. Blech.

(And for the record, having come off my first winter in Kentucky, I can say that I am not dreading near as much as I did in the Midwest!)

I live in Indiana next to Kentucky and that IS the midwest. Flyover country, whatever.

Yeah, well I am from Iowa originally and that is WAY more midwest than where I live now! Much, much, MUCH colder and much more snow. I have no idea how many miles south I moved but it has made a heck of a difference. Frankly, I don't care what you call it, but I call it warmer.

As a kid who spent a good part of his youth growing up in Minnesota I feel that pain. I'm not living any further north than southern Indiana.