The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
    Brightshow Guest

Default Best liniment for the price?

I've been shopping around some liniments here and there, and was wondering what you guys think is the best for the price.

Money is kind of tight right now so I'm just trying to save wherever I can. Thanks!

Dallas, Georgia

I buy the one that actually does something: Sore No More Gelotion. I keep a bottle at the barn and a bottle at my house.

Avg price = $16 a bottle.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Columbus, OH

Since liniment basically does nothing more than provide some very superficial cooling (repeat, VERY superficial) and make the horse smell good, the most cost-effective solution is to stop using it altogether. If you want the area to be cooler, use ice or cold hosing. If you want to soothe sore muscles and don't want to use cold therapy, give a massage and/or use standing wraps. Rubbing alcohol is a good lubricant for equine massage and is dirt cheap.

Some people argue that certain liniments with arnica and/or witch hazel in them, like Sore No More, do something. It's true that arnica does provide some surface numbing, sort of like Icy Hot, but there's a big diff between numbing a sensation and actually healing the soreness.
    Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog, Launching October 2015

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Sore No More. It works, and I know this because I use it on myself and other human family members for muscle aches and bruises.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I LOVE Sore No More, especially the Gelotion.

I do make my own "liniment" to use when sponging off though. I use one large bottle of Listerine (generic works just fine - and any color... I like the wintergreen), one bottle of witch hazel and a bottle of rubbing alcohol. Mix together and then I repour it back into the orginial bottles... using as needed. I've also sprayed it on. Not sure if it helps (probably doesn't) but it smells good and seems to help get the coat a bit cleaner.
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog

SE Wisconsin

Sore No More for rubdowns (on me, too). If it's just as a bath brace, I use Vetrolin or Refreshmint as they're cheaper and I like the smell.

I also use homeopathic arnica gel on myself and my horses and Traumeel gel, too. Both those things actually work on swelling and stiffness.

I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

I mix my own as well. General recipe is equal parts alcohol, witch hazel, and cider vinegar. Sometimes I add some store bought to the mix. Sometimes I just alcohol and witch hazel to the store bought to stretch it. I've also mixed in a tub of dollar store blue gel-type liniment to make the mix a little thicker. My favorite store bought is Vetrolin.

East of Dog River

Any linament that smells good, produces no allergic reaction to you or the horse and is cheap is best. It is a massage medium, and not much more. The old leg men on the track are testament to the fact it is the massage, not the lubricant, that does the job - many of them used plain water and that was what was left on the leg from the cold water therapy or a bath.

Here's one of mine: 1 Imp Qt (40 oz) cider vinegar, same of water. 1/2C each salt and epsom salts, 8 oz witch hazel, and 'flavouring' - enough wintergreen, eucalyptus, or something to make the whole lot smell more like linament and less like pickle juice. Heat the water and disolve the salt, cool to luke warm, add the remaining liquids.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Sore No More is the best, but GP Direct has very reasonable prices for liniment. It may even be cheaper than mixing your own.

Default I use wintergreen rubbing alcohol from CVS.

I use a few tablesppons of wintergreen rubbing alcohol from CVS in a bucket of water. Smells like Refreshmint liniment to me!

I use the Absorbine liquid liniment - I think they call is the Veterinary liniment. I put a spray top on to it and spray it directly where needed. No waste!

Blu Lotion or rubbing alcohol or witch hazel.

El Paso, TX

Rubbing alchohol.

Cold hose legs after workout using "pulsing/firm" water pressure. Then rub down w/rubbing alchohol. Turn out if possible. Walking around keeps legs from stocking up.
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016!

I make my own....alcohol, witch hazel and refreshmint for a nice smell.

I love Chapman's Premium though and just ordered a gallon of it.

Not inexpensive but great stuff. Probably no more or less effective than my own recipe but I like to think it is
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."