The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question on attire.

Hello. So I'm new to showing. I've only been riding for about 2 years now. My first hunter show will be sunday.

My question is, why are there so many rules on attire? I mean I understand a dress code of proper jacket, breeches, boots and helmet. But why is fabric color a factor? Isn't it about how you ride and how the horse preforms?

Thanks!
    dory

Well yes, but you also want to present a traditional look so no wild colors. Tradition is very big in the hunter arena, navy blue coat is always proper, or some other muted darker color. Although I have seen brown and olive green starting to become more commonplace. Your shirt should be a color that matches or at least compliments your coat, buff breeches, black velvet cap or similar, black boots, black gloves. Everything should be tasteful and not too excessive to present a picture of elegance.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Yeah it's not that I want to go out there in a hot pink coat or anything. Just curious.

It's a factor because it's based on hunt attire, and the idea was for the field to look uniform and each item served a purpose. There were some elements of whimsy that suggested certain meanings, like one earning their colors or wearing their tails down on their hat, but for the most part it's just tradition that color is a factor. Subtle, elegant, and uniform. Ideally.

There is actually very litle in the Hunter rules about attire, and what there doesn't match what people are actually wearing.

The rules don't even say you have to wear boots!

And the rules specify nothing about neckwear in between the stock for "formal attire" and the choker for "when jackets are waived".

When was the last time you saw someone competing in canary breeches? or a scarlet jacket?

HU127 Attire.
    1. Formal Attire. Riders are required to wear scarlet or dark coats; white shirts with white
    stock; white, buff or canary breeches and protective headgear. See GR801. All Hunter and
    Hunt Seat Equitation riders must wear protective headgear while jumping in accordance
    with General Rules, GR801.2. In classes restricted to junior exhibitors protective headgear
    must be worn in accordance with GR801. Members of the Armed Services or the Police
    may wear the Service Dress Uniform.
    2. Inappropriate attire. When management permits Hunter or Hunter Seat Equitation riders
    to ride without jackets, riders must wear traditional, short, or long-sleeved riding shirts
    with chokers or ties. Polo shirts and chaps are not permitted except in unjudged warm-up
    classes. Management or Judge may eliminate an exhibitor who is inappropriately attired.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by dorytuo View Post
    Hello. So I'm new to showing. I've only been riding for about 2 years now. My first hunter show will be sunday.

My question is, why are there so many rules on attire? I mean I understand a dress code of proper jacket, breeches, boots and helmet. But why is fabric color a factor? Isn't it about how you ride and how the horse preforms?
    As Janet mentioned there is very little in the rules about attire and if you aren't concerned with your placing then you can get away with wearing alot of crazy stuff. But assuming you want to place well. Then it "isn't about how you ride and how the horse performs" It is about how you ride and how your horse performs in COMPARISON to the other riders and horses showing. And this is why it matters what you wear. You want to present a classic hunter picture, which shows you belong in the company of the others. And though judges don't consciously think "purple shirt, I hate purple, last place" it will effect the general impression you and your horse have made.

At least this is how I understand it.

8. Boots/shoes worn while riding anywhere on the competition grounds must have a distinguishable heel. (Exception: Arabian, Hackney Pony, Morgan, National Show Horse, Parade, Roadster, Saddlebred, and Saddle Seat Equitation).
    Ah, but the General Rules say do say you need boots or shoes worn with a heel

Also, if you're riding in the eq:

1. Personal. Exhibitors and judges should bear in mind that at all times entries are being judged on ability rather than on personal attire. Riders should wear coats of any tweed or Melton for hunting (conservative wash jackets in season), breeches or jodhpurs and boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Ah, but the General Rules say do say you need boots or shoes worn with a heel
    OK, how many people do you see competing in the hunters wearing "shoes with a heel"?

The point is that there are LOTS of "unwritten attire rules" in hunters (which do change over time). But they aren't written down.

At least they finally got rid of the written references to linen jackets!
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Where are you guys pulling these quotes from on attire? Is there a link for it somewhere? Again, I'm new to this stuff. Sorry.

http://www.usef.org for the Rule Book, click on hunter rules.

These are the rules that most hunter shows in the country go by. Your local circuit may have different rules, but many run under USEF rules. If the rules are different, it's usually noted in the prize list.

There are a lot of nuances that aren't written down, so if you have questions, maybe we can help.

The USEF rule book which is online and located here - www.usef.org

Are you posting from the USA or from somewhere else (like Canada). In our rules you are actually allowed to also wear 1/2 chaps for showing (but they must look like tall boots)! Otherwise, it's pretty much the same as the States. Nowhere does it mention what colour jacket or breeches you can wear, but understated for hunters is generally the norm. Plus in our rule book, you also cannot bling out your helmet for hunters (you can for jumpers though!)
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    When was the last time you saw someone competing in canary breeches? or a scarlet jacket?
    I pine for canary breeches.

Pirateer, call up Saddlery Liquidators in Middleburg, Virginia. They have CANARY TAILORED SPORTSMANS.

I decided I was wary of my ass in yellow.

OK, how many people do you see competing in the hunters wearing "shoes with a heel"?

!
    I don't know about yours but every pair of tall boots, and paddock boots for that matter, that I have ever had have had a heel on them.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Warrenton Horse Show 2008...2007...2006...2005... etc, etc.

And we have the pics to prove it!

(and I should mention canary FLARED breeches with buttons no less!)
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

To the OP....

While there are few written rules and many unwritten ( as this group is getting into) along with personal preferences yes your ride in the Hunters is based on your horse, but remember if you choose something that detracts from your horse your horse is not going to be looked at YOU are. Also if you wear something non traditional that "catches" the judges eye you better have the fanciest moving horse or the calmest, cleanest jump.

Also be aware that Equitation IS based on you and it is VERY traditional so pay attention to what classes you are entered in.

Good luck in the show ring!

OP, i think you answered your own question It IS about how you ride and perform, NOT about what you're wearing: what you wear should be something that best shows off your equitation and complements the horse and rider without being a distraction. This is why we have 'hunter hair' .. so your hair isnt flying around while you're jumping. It presents a neater, cleaner picture with minimal distractions. You don't want to blend in with your horse, just wear something that complements its color without standing out too much (you *generally* wouldn't wear a jet black coat with a jet black horse, or a brown coat with a firey chestnut, etc.) it's a horse show. not a fashion show. You show off the horse.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

For all the noise on these boards about attire, I think 10% of it really matters to the judge and 90% of it is about psyching out the competition. If you go into the ring worried that you don't have the 'right' brand name or color of breeches/saddle/helmet/whatever, you might just be distracted enough not to have your best ride.
    Incredible Invisible

The "shoe with a heel" rule is meant to encompass the paddock boots that saddle seat riders wear, western boots, fancy shoes.boots that might be worn in costume classes, riding sneakers that an endurance rider might wear.... That's why it's in the General Rules.

What Janet meant is that even though all of those are technically allowed in a hunter class -- hell, you could wear those riding sneakers that have heels -- no one does because of the "unwritten rules." Although I can tell you, there's more than one pro that regularly goes into the hunter ring wearing paddock boots and the half-chaps that look like tall boots. Not in the very biggest shows or the Hunter Derby perhaps, but in plenty of lesser classes in rated shows.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry