The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Year End Awards

Hey everyone,

My organization is trying to decide on our year end awards for champion and reserve this year and we could really use some suggestions. We have hunter, jumpers, dressage, driving, draft, and western disciplines. We like to try to keep it similar for all discipline, although driving is sometimes hard and ends up with something different which is ok. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. What would you want to get for a year end champ/reserve? Thanks.

Last year my association gave out nice leather halters with plaques stating the award and the horse's name. Although we just have h/j's it's a pretty versatile award and nice to use at shows

What did you do for things like Equitation and Lesson mount or Leadline? The halters sound nice for the performance classes though. Thank you for the idea.

For equitation we gave embroidered garment bags, we didn't have lesson mount or leadline divisions but we also gave out bags for grooming supplies.. I'm not sure how to describe them... Ah! Here they are:

http://www.equibrand.com/en/%5FHS/Pr...e&PC=104&P=171

We gave them all out in black with embroidery again. These were for the reserve champ. awards. I think the tack shop gave the association for ordering both the halters and bags in bulk.

Those are neat. We have thrown around the ideas of saddle pads, garment bags, and carryalls so far too. Thank you for letting me know your experiences. It really helps to hear from other competitors.

I am part of the board for a local association.

We have given out for year end prizes: coolers, fly sheets, rain sheets, irish knits, halters (regular & grooming), leather lead shanks with chains, canvas tote bags, saddle pads, brushes, crops, silver platters, ice buckets, bridles, coat/boot bags.

We keep things generic engraved or embroidered (just the year & association, no names or divisions).
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

Thanks. We would do the same, embroidering our logo and year, maybe champion/reserve.

classic262 Guest

for reserve I once got a boot cleaning kit with a brush like this..http://www.countrysports.se/files/TR-brush.jpg and it had a name plate that said the organization and reserve champion. it also came with nice boot polish creme and was a really cute idea! Loved it!

Another idea is the small makeup bags that the kids(well mostly girls, but I guess boys could use!!), to keep in their trunks with there hair nets, bands for hair, chapstick (daughter is always looking for chapstick at shows), "girlie stuff" etc. Just for trunk or backpack, that is embroidered with the info on it!

Last year my daughter got something even I can enjoy. Everyone got a folding chair with a little fold down table w/cupholder on the side. Embroidered emblems with either Champion or Reserve Champion and the assoc. name were applied to the back of the chair. I saw the same chairs at Sams Club for $22. They also gave a saddle pad.

One year they matted and framed the champion and reserve ribbon. Another year we received a hand made pottery plate with hand painted horses around the edge. The champion had a blue theme and reserve had a red theme. In the center of the plate was the division you were champion or reserve of...

The little local circuit in our area gives division champions embroidered jackets with year, horse, rider and division as well as circuit name and logo. Very nice for a small circuit! The rated circuit we show on gives engraved pewter plates to keep with year, horse/rider and division (in addition to the perpetual trophy you get to take home for display for a few months). They also give embroidered directors chairs for certain high scores. Neither gives awards (other than rosettes) for Res. Ch. One of my kids placed in MHSA high scores last year and got a lovely Walsh grooming halter with an MHSA engraved brass plate with the year.
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...9&id=646905064

The past two years our local association has given out a large ribbon and a framed picture of the horse and rider. The rider got to pick the picture they wanted. On the bottom of the picture, there is an engraving with the rider name, horse name, division and year. We all like these year-end awards.

Great Ideas! I should hopefully end up with a championship this season and I would really like a jacket. The rest of the board is shying away from them however because of both cost and the hastle of getting sizes. I truely appreciate the work some of your associations put into your year end awards, personalizing with names and photos. wow.

We got saddle/boot/hat bags, coolers, halters, blankets and such for winning the "major" divisions. They have the association name/logo, the division and the horse or riders names on them. The smaller divisions got very nice saddle pads. Of course, we all get lovely large ribbons for all placings at year end.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

My fav year end awards that I have gotten have been a table with a fox hunt scene on it, and a plaque mounted to it, as well as the chairs I have won, something that I'll use and enjoy.

Would love to get a cooler as a year end award embroidered with the association, year, division, and champion/reserve champion.
    Friend got two folding chairs one year embroidered with the same thing and boy do they get a lot of use! We're always using folding chairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly_High View Post
    The rest of the board is shying away from them however because of both cost and the hastle of getting sizes. I truely appreciate the work some of your associations put into your year end awards, personalizing with names and photos. wow.
    I'd have to agree the more you individualize the prize the bigger a hassle it is. We have about 50 divisions & sometimes despite us warning people points are being disputed right to the very end. We have traveling trophies for each divison as well as prizes & there have been a few times we've had to last minute re-engrave cause the points disputes changed the winner.
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

Is this for a bigger association (like the PHA?) or just a local thing? If it's local, i'd stick to something smaller, simpler: like saddle pads, try embroidering the assoc. name, yr won, division, and name of horse and rider. a few yrs ago my friend was champion in one of our state assoc's and she got a very VERY nice varsity-type jacket, with the associations logo on the back, and her name and horses' name on the front, as well as the division name and "champion" on the back with the yr. which was very very nice. however it was quite large (i guess they had to just buy one size for all and stuff? dunno) and she was quite small ive also seen directors type folding chairs with the name and division, yr, assoc, etc. on the back which is very nice. and certainly useful! always go for something useful. chairs, saddle pads, coolers, things like that. for reserve, a nice picture frame with maybe the specs/name engraved on it would be very nice.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

last year our local association gave the champions and reserves in the hunter divisions lamps and the shade had a picture of them on it...i believe they were from lifeshade, sometimes they advertise over on the right side of this forum, they were really nice!!