The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Seat repair cost

One of my friends is looking at a Stubben Siegfried as a schooling/hacking saddle. The seat seam has a fairly lengthy separation - maybe six inches long. Otherwise, the saddle is in nice shape, but the cost of the repair is going to factor into what she offers for it.
    Anybody have a ballpark idea for what that kind of repair might run? I've seen smaller repairs done and they aren`t unsightly...it would also be concealed by the rider too!
    One other question; it has the number 31 stamped into one of the billet keepers - is that tree length? Width is 5 inches, seat 17 in.
    Thanks a ton!
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

I was recently quoted $400 to replace a saddle seat. In NC.

I paid $150 to have a hole in the pommel patched. If you can patch it and use it as a schooling saddle it will be fine. If you have to replace the seat I'd look for a different saddle.

Hm....how to describe? It is basically as though the seam between the edge of the seat where the flap ties in has come open...I have seen smaller splits repaired with parallel stitches at a 90 degree angle to the seam....wondering if that could be done instead of a complete seat replacement.
    Dee

Quote Originally Posted by DeeThbd View Post
    Hm....how to describe? It is basically as though the seam between the edge of the seat where the flap ties in has come open...I have seen smaller splits repaired with parallel stitches at a 90 degree angle to the seam....wondering if that could be done instead of a complete seat replacement.
    Dee
    I've seen a few saddles like that. It can cost a pretty penny to repair so the seat looks fine. A patch can be put on but it can look ugly and it looks like it would feel odd (since it's slightly raised and the seat isn't evenly smooth on both sides). That said, I haven't sat in any saddle with such a repair and the repair may not have any effect on how the seat feels. If it's a six inch long split, the patched area would be pretty long. Without seeing it, I would probably pass since the repair could be expensive, six inches is a big split, the saddle wouldn't have much eye appeal unless the seat was completely replaced (hey, superficial stuff does matter to some extent!), and the resale value would be lower due to the damage and repair.

If I were to give them an offer, it would be a lot lower than the same saddle in the same condition without the tear. The cost of a Siegfried varies depending on year and condition so I can't give an actual figure. If she knows what seat and tree size she might want to check out E-Bay. I've seen some go for a song there!
    ***Honorary Member of the "What is BOSS?" Cult...er...CLIQUE***
    ***Prominent Member of the 'Irrelevent Posters Clique'***
    CrayolaPosse ~ Bluegreen

I also have been quoted $400 for seat repair. I had a saddle with a split along the seat seam and tried a patch. It was a waste of money; not only is it unsightly it only lasted about a month before the pressure and wear on that seam pulled the patch off and continued the splitting of the seam.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

I got curious and called a saddlemaker...he quoted me $500 for a seat replacement, or $35 for a patch. Thanks for the info about your patch, Clint. Just wondering - what level of use was the saddle in? My friend just hacks and occasional lessons, so the saddle wouldn`t be getting heavy use.
    Thanks!
    Dee

Quote Originally Posted by DeeThbd View Post
    I got curious and called a saddlemaker...he quoted me $500 for a seat replacement, or $35 for a patch. Thanks for the info about your patch, Clint. Just wondering - what level of use was the saddle in? My friend just hacks and occasional lessons, so the saddle wouldn`t be getting heavy use.
    Thanks!
    Dee
    The saddle fit one horse I was riding, so was probably used once daily four or five times a week. However, I thought the patch was such a dismal way to solve the seat seam ripping problem, I would never recommend it. At best, it is a very temporary fix.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses

I have a saddle that has had that same problem, the seat has detached from the skirt at the seam for about 6-8".

I didn't do the repair, and have been riding in the saddle that way since 1994. Since it is under my thigh you can't see the issue. I don't think the problem has gotten any worse, but since I paid $65 for the saddle I think I've gotten my money's worth

Default 31 is the tree width

Stubben trees run from 28 (narrow) to 32 (wide) --
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

Although Stubben calls its 32 wide, it isn't very. This saddle fits well TBs with withers. A 31 would be a Stubben M/W and a medium in any other saddle.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses

I have an old Crosby with the same problem, as well as a hole at the pommel. I've had that saddle for 8 or 10 years of light but regular use, and both the hole and the split have gotten bigger but the saddle still fits my horse well enough that I haven't considered replacing it. I had the saddler look at it once, just to see if a repair would even be an option, and judging by the way she smiled politely, the cost of the repair would have far exceeded the value of the saddle.

There are plenty of Stubbens around used (currently 50 on ebay http://shop.ebay.com/sis/_W0QQ_kwZUs...Q20SeatQ20Size)- your friend should be able to find a good one. 31 is the tree width.

I had a saddle with the same problem. Took it to Bartville Harness (which does beautiful work) and they said stitching it wouldn't work, and the only other option was a patch.

They charged me a minimal amount (maybe $40?) for the patch, but honestly, even as good as their work is, I wasn't happy with the way it looked.

If I had it to do over again, I'd have just left the tear as is, and I certainly wouldn't buy a saddle with a torn seat seam. I'd keep looking.

I had the seat replaced in my saddle about 10 years ago and it was $150. I just discovered a separation in another saddle and called for a price from a different saddler ( since the old retired sigh) and the estimate was $300. $500 seems like a rip to me. The separation on this one is under my leg and can't be seen, the saddle is 20 years old, so I think I'll just ride in it.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

What if it was an old name sidesaddle that needed a new seat? There is a local 22" whippy that needs a new seat & well other cosmetic work rideable if you don't mind being seen on something that looks like it came out of a moth closet. .

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    What if it was an old name sidesaddle that needed a new seat? There is a local 22" whippy that needs a new seat & well other cosmetic work rideable if you don't mind being seen on something that looks like it came out of a moth closet. .

You must realize the whole saddle has to be taken aprt to get the seat off. Then the seat has to be taken out and all the threads pulled out with tweasers or fine needle nose plyers. then the seat leather has to be soaked and stretched on the saddle and let dry.
    Then the jockeys or the little flaps that cover the stirrup hangers have to be put on right where they were originally. The there has to be a mark along where the seat is stitched on and a seam allowance left. The it has to be cut and hand sewn on.
    Then the saddle has to be put back together.
    $500 is about the going rate for a seat replacement, on either a sidesaddle or an astride saddle. It is a lot of work. But when you have some fine Old Name saddles it is worth it to restore them.
    At the cost of British made new sidesaddles, a good restoration of an old one is far more economical.
    This is jus my own humble opinion.
    Sadlmakr

I was quoted $400 from Journeymen here in VA maybe a year ago.

It's a PITA replacement for a saddlemaker to do, which is why it's so expensive.

I had one saddle with a patch that wasn't bad, patch lasted a few years with averageish work. I wasn't able to "feel" the patch, it was just a little unattractive.

I got a good deal on an older Beval Natural that had a 2"-3" split on either side of the seat, most likely from someone riding in jeans. It had been stitched, and I haven't had any problems at all with it. I only ride in breeches, and the repair is invisible when I'm sitting in it.