The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default AQHA Hunter/Jumpers - fashion help?

Hi everyone

I haven't been on COTH in AGES... but I have a question and know y'all are the best people to ask!

I am going to do some hunter (shhhhh, don't tell my event coach) classes and jumpers at local AQHA shows this summer/fall. I haven't done Hunters in over 10 years, and never on the AQHA circuit. I'm hoping to try some hunter hack, and maybe even some HUS or over fences in addition to the jumpers.

What is in style right now - will a regular dark green or navy hunt coat be ok? (Yes, I know my black dressage coat will NOT cut it, even though it's quite lovely)! I have TS breeches in the sort of green-khaki color, assume they are ok? Are Field boots ok as opposed to dress boots?

Also I've noticed from video everyone seems to have the tailored/shaped saddle pads with a spot for their numbers - am I right?

Any help you could offer to an eventer who has no clue about AQHA H/J fashion would be appreciated. I just want to get my pony out and have some fun!!!

Mandy and Joy
    Argyle, TX

Mandy,

I am showing my Eventer in the Jumpers at the QH shows in Oklahoma. I show him in my Navy hunt coat with beige breeches and my Mountain Horse boots. Field boots will be great. As for the pads, you can use a regular shaped one for over fences as you will wear your number on your back. On the flat classes you will want a shaped pad with the number on both sides. The jumper classes are pretty laided back and fun. I usually just show with my navy blue square pad in those.

Good luck!
    Bobbi
    ~ Jus Passed My Zipper aka Spanky, 11yo QH gelding.
    ~ Muskogee, 2yo Oldenburg Colt.

Thanks!
    I'm in North TX and really having trouble finding AQHA shows with Jumper classes - any in OK that you think would be good? We are near Denton TX if that helps at all, just a short drive up 35 to Tulsa, etc!

There is a big show coming up the first week of June in OKC. The Redbud Spectular. The jumping classes are on Wed, Friday and Sunday. Then mid June in Ardmore is the Stockman's Circuit show. They offer over fences classes on Friday and Sat. Then in July is the Tulsa Holiday Circuit.... but I don't know about their over fences classes yet.

Bobbi
    Bobbi

Thanks Bobbi!!! I'll check them out for sure!

Hunter green coats are out even in AQHA. The TS breeches with the navy coat are perfect. you can wear louder colored shirts still, or pastel or white. Pretty much what the USEF wears except for the darker shirt colors still being in fashion.

The square number pads are required in the flat classes and that includes hunter hack, but are never used in the straight fence classes. Best source for the square pad is Schneiders (www.sstack.com) the least expensive one will do fine. I put a white foam half pad over mine, and a non-slip liner under it.

Many people show in advanced helmets, including Speed-aire (sp?) in jumpers, and you will see approved helmets as well as article-of-apparel hard hats on adults in HH. Juniors must wear an approved helmet over fences.

If you live near Argyle, Chuck Briggs knows all about it. For Denton area, check with Jason Martin at High Point Performance Horses in Pilot Point.

Good luck!
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

So I guess that means my eventing Charles Owen skull cap with a cover and the flipped up brim won't cut it huh? I have an IRH with the vented front (silver) - is that ok? I don't want to break the bank here but I know it's a different sport all together - I also have a hunt cap with no strap which I usually just wear for dressage, so I guess this is ok for flat classes?!

Thanks so much!

Hometown: San Antonio, TX ; Current Location: Amarillo, TX

Mandy! You TRAITOR!!!!! Just kidding! Can Missy & I go with you?!?

The Texas Classic in Fort Worth is having Jumping classes on May 27th and May 30th. I emailed you the website so you can look at the premium book. I really want to take Missy. There is another QH show offering Jumping in Katy, TX (down by Houston) July 24-26th.

Bobbi- On average, how high are the jumps?

I have the clothes from doing IHSA so I am set and ready Mandy, we can trailer together. I might need to borrow a "hunter/cc" saddle b/c I think my XC Albion will stick out like a sore thumb
    RIP Kid Gloves (Holly) 1992 TBxHanv CCI*** mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/holly
    New mare: Miss Bunny Express (Missy) 1995 AQHA Jumper mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/missy

Default Two eventers and their chestnut QH's go to Katy...

... Yes Mere I AM A TRAITOR!!!! LOL

I have a black Courbette you are welcome to borrow but that falls into the sore thumb category too!! I guess I'm glad I at least have a close contact saddle to wear!

OH - one question for you H/J experts - Martingales - I usually jump my boy in a running martingale. I am assuming this is allowable for jumpers but hunter over fences would be....?

Mere can I borrow some of your clothes? <grin> Let's go to Katy! I don't think I can get my crap together by the end of this month for FW...

Mandy

Jump height depends on the show, etc.

I know that at Ardmore, the jumps rarely get over 3'....maybe 3'3" in the jump off in the Open.... maybe. Now at the OKQHA spring circuit show, I think they got up to like 3'3" in the Ammys and 3'6" in the Open and the jumpoff in the Open may have been 3'9"... but I am not sure.....

The bigger shows will probably have bigger fences.

I am thinking of running down to Ft. Worth on the 30th for the Ammy and Open Jumpers.... haven't decided yet........ sigh.......

Bobbi
    Bobbi

Running martingales are okay in the jumpers but not allowed in the Hunters.....however you can use a Standing in the Hunters.

I use my Berney Bros cross country saddle for all the jumping classes.

Bobbi
    Bobbi

The IRH with the silver vented front is just fine, as are the field boots. Go with the hunt cap for any flat classes.

Please, all you report back on these shows, OK?

Seriously, people show horses in Houston in July?? I thought all Texas horse show people were in Colorado during July.

Quote Originally Posted by Plumcreek View Post
    The square number pads are required in the flat classes and that includes hunter hack, but are never used in the straight fence classes. Best source for the square pad is Schneiders (www.sstack.com) the least expensive one will do fine. I put a white foam half pad over mine, and a non-slip liner under it.
    The square pads are REQUIRED? Really? Those things are about the ugliest things I've ever seen at a horseshow and they absolutely take away from the quiet, conservative turn out of a hunter. I just don't get it...Why don't you just put a western pad underneath your close contact saddle and call it a day...are AQHA judges so visually challenged that they can't see a number on the back of the rider?

And, yes...I used to show quarter horses back in the olden days.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
    ...are AQHA judges so visually challenged that they can't see a number on the back of the rider?
    And, yes...I used to show quarter horses back in the olden days.

Bingo

(Actually the judges just like the numbers on the side of the horse - a lot. Back numbers use pins instead of strings, so cannot be turned to the inside like an open hunter flat class.)

Please, all you report back on these shows, OK?

Seriously, people show horses in Houston in July?? I thought all Texas horse show people were in Colorado during July.
    Will do! I am quite looking forward to it. I am toying with doing the Texas Classic in May but it depends when my family will demand me to go to San Antonio

Houston in July will be CRAZY-HOT but that just means that Mandy & I get to take home TONS of ribbons

Quote Originally Posted by texaseventer View Post
    Mere can I borrow some of your clothes? <grin>
    Yes, you can. I think I have 2 different TS shirts but only one pair of TS breeches.

Quote Originally Posted by texaseventer View Post
    Let's go to Katy! I don't think I can get my crap together by the end of this month for FW...

Mandy
    You & Joy have your crap WAY more together than Missy & I do. Like Bobbi said the jumps are 3' or 3'3". Joy can do those with his eyes shut.

For Denton area, check with Jason Martin at High Point Performance Horses in Pilot Point.
    Jason is at my barn in California right now for the west coast winter/spring circuits, but I'm sure you could call or email them. Go with the Navy coat and a white or pastel shirt, the T.S. and field boots. Velvet hunt cap in the flat classes and approved helmet over fences- although a friend of mine rides in her CO GR8 for all of her classes. If you want a traditional looking helmet try the Troxel Grand Prix- it is pretty slim so it looks like a hunt cap but is approved. Number pad in the flat classes, shaped pad in the over fences.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

You lot are SO helpful, thank you so much!!! I'm having fun shopping on Ebay for a navy coat

Mere - Joy and I often do 3'3" with BOTH of our eyes closed. LOL I have a great shot of him in PERFECT form at Quail Run, knees up to his ears... and we both have our eyes shut tight! LOL I guess the photographer just caught the perfect moment <grin>

What scares me isn't the height so much,but the courses themselves. I'm not used to these rollbacks and stuff! Guess I have to practice more. And a jump off!?!? What is THAT! LOL And you mean I have to REMEMBER it and do it right after my round if I go clear? My old brain just can't handle that Lots of work for Mandy!!!!

Thanks EVERYONE for the helpful replies. I am SO EXCITED!

And yes, Houston in July but it's a beautiful indoor - assuming it's at Great Southwest EC - or whatever it's called now. Just gorgeous.

Mandy

I did QH jumpers with my horse Chapulin a couple of years ago and here are my discoveries.

Finding classes that would "make". 3+ riders. The jumps at Katy were small, the Texas Classic and Rosebud were reasonable, but nothing that would be considered BIG or ornate.

Just follow what AA hunter/jumper circuits are doing fasionwise. The AQHA people that do hunter o/f fences have their own style as do under saddle.

You don't have to have those ugly square pads in jumpers but you can use a regular shaped pad or a muted color square. Also, no decorations on the brow band.

That's all I can thing of right now, and couple of things may have changed in the 2 years. Hope it helped!!

Also, the last time I went the jumper classes at the Southwest Eq Center during the AQHA show were help outside......

Outside?! July in Houston!! WOW. Darn it... oh well!! At least we are not trying to ride cross country!!!!

Thanks for the advice - tell me more about the classes though, is it hard to find riders to fill the classes (I think I misunderstood you)? I have been finding it difficult to find shows that even have jumps (the smaller local shows seem to really focus on western and may offer just a Hunter U/S class or two).

Thanks!!