The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default selling a yearling pony colt?+a size question update-vid added. NEW UPDATE pg.2

***what follows is an old thread, I added an update to it on page two, post #28***

I have a yearling colt here at the farm out of my Conn/dutch mare and by a Hanoverian stallion (Rapture R). I am thinking about selling him but I am not sure if its worth trying - is there a market for yearling ponies? He is super-fancy with a very supple and bouncy trot with tons of shoulder freedom. But at the moment he is a bit fugly and of course then there is the size question. I have no experience with ponies, so I don't know how they grow. I actually thought he may end up quite big because of his pedigree (mostly horse) but right now he is quite small (same size as my 2 month old dutch colt) and has not been growing much since last summer (still wears the same tiny halter).
    Is there a market for yearling ponies (dressagey movement)? Also he is still intact, so considering his movement and temperament I would definitely say he is quality enough to be a breeding stallion, does that make a difference?

VIDEO LINKS ADDED IN A POST BELOW

*** Page 2, post 28 - new update, nearly a year later***
    Last edited by TreadstoneFarm; Mar. 7, 2010 at 10:48 AM. Reason: update
    Breeder of Dutch Warmbloods
    www.treadstonefarm.com

how tall is he? with the horse breeding he is likely to take longer to mature. My purebred ponies tend to put on the majority of their size in the first two years. After age two they definitely continue to grow but at a much slower pace. With the colts/geldings we find they are more more marketable once they have been started undersaddle, (or at least demonstrating they are competitive on the line) and the nice ones are especially worth waiting on.

So I sticked him the other day and he is around 13hh. So in pony reality that is not that small. He just seems so tiny to me compared to all my dutch WB's.
    So another question, is it worth keeping him intact? With his horse breeding, assuming that he stays under 14.2 himself, would he have a chance as a pony stallion? I know for sure that he is nice enough (gorgeous dressage type movement, also most likely good jump talent based on the dam and sire, cute face, nice color) but I don't know if pony breeders would be interested in breeding to such a "mutt"?
    www.treadstonefarm.com

If he is 13hh as a yearling, then it sounds like you have a good chance of him staying pony sized, although with his horse genetics, he may keep growing longer than the typical pony does. How big are his dam and sire? There could be a market for him as a stallion since the warmblood type ponies are becoming more popular, but I couldn't say for sure. There are a lot of nice pony stallions, and one needs to be fairly exceptional to really make a name for himself. Do you have any photos of him to share?
    Quicksilver Farms, LLC
    "Welsh Hunter Ponies"
    Welsh Sec. B Stallions and
    Fancy Show Pony Prospects
    www.quicksilverponies.com

Well, genetically speaking, he is more WB than pony. He might stay pony sized but with 3/4 WB genes, I'd say he's going to be a late bloomer and may grow considerably more.

There is not much market for yearling anythings right now honestly. You might market him as a dressage pony prospect but the demand for such yearlings is not that great yet.

I would say no to keeping him a stallion. He'd probably not be all that useful for pony breeding with all the horse size genes behind him and could throw foals all over the size spectrum. The German Riding Pony folks might be interested in him but they have enough issues with going oversize as it is.

I just sneeked a peak on your site and he is a CUTIE patootie....looks like a miniature of his daddy

While he's DARLING, I think you have a snowball's chance in he!! of him staying pony size. If I was looking, though, he's one I'd consider. Nice colt!

Thanks for all the replies. The only picture I have of him (that is any good) is the one on my website. I wish I had taken more pictures when he was young. Right now he looks pretty fugly with all parts of him mismatched. After he completely sheds out I will try to make a video for the website.

When he was young I was pretty sure he'd grow out to be a small horse (15hh-ish) because after he was born he really shot up and was not very far behind the filly I had that was dutch wb and 2 months older than him. But then he just stopped growing, so now I am not so sure anymore. I guess my best bet is to keep him for now and see what happens.
    I think I am going to keep him intact for now unless he starts to misbehave. He is so friendly and easy so far its really not an issue. I am afraid that like you guys are saying there will not be a huge market for a pony stallion with mostly horse breeding, but until he becomes naughty and/or problematic to keep I can keep that door open for myself. I can always cut him later.
    And I heard that keeping them intact causes them to stay shorter, so maybe that will help keep him pony sized, haha. I have a feeling that he is probably worth more as a nice dressage pony than a nice very small dressage horse.
    www.treadstonefarm.com

I too have a WB pony, though he is 2 now and a gelding, bred for the Hunters though he'd do well in Dressage also. I have had NO interest in him to be honest with you and he is certainly a stunning young man. However, given that he's 1/2 WB I just feel people find this cross too risky to be frank. These crosses are just not that popular at a young age as most people don't want to be stuck with a "Hony" when it's all said and done, no matter what they move like. Though "hony" warmbloods are getting increasingly more popular for Juniors.

I would take string tests (cannon and height check). These are usually pretty dead on, unless long/short cannons run in his lines. If his cannon measurements are over 14 1/2" I'd worry a bit. My guy measures in at 14.1 1/2" when tested and I've had top Pony trainers/breeders tell me that he is the perfect height and should mature a top of the line Large (which was what I was shooting for).

Check my guy out on my website and compare notes, I'll include a couple of pics as well. www.cedarpinefarm.com

When considering WB pony crosses people generally either want them under saddle, from a reputable breeder who is known for keeping them under 14.2, or with a permenant card (age 6). So, I'd plan on holding on to him for a while . However, take those tests and get him to some breeding shows! Showcasing him is never a bad thing and you can get a jump on those USEF points to show the world what these type of crosses can do!

Although, I would consider gelding him as soon as possible. Not because of "him" but because of his unstable size (in his pedigree background) plus, children cannot show Stallions and you would be selling him to a very limited market if you keep him a colt, especially the longer you wait and hence the longer he gets used to being in-tact.

God bless you and your little guy... I wish you the very best of luck with him! He is a cutie!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PinguConformation.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	25174   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PinguTrot.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	25175   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PinguExtendedTrotRight.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	25176   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PinguExtendedTrot.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	118.9 KB 
ID:	25177  
    "There is dignity in lightness, truth in patience,
    but only ignorance in force"... www.cedarpinefarm.com

He is a beautiful colt! He certainly appears to be of stallion quality. There is very little market for yearlings at this time so I would hang on to him longer to see how he turns out. You will also get a better idea of how large he will end up and whether it is worth it to keep him entire.

Quote Originally Posted by TreadstoneFarm
    So I sticked him the other day and he is around 13hh. So in pony reality that is not that small. He just seems so tiny to me compared to all my dutch WB's.
    So another question, is it worth keeping him intact? With his horse breeding, assuming that he stays under 14.2 himself, would he have a chance as a pony stallion? I know for sure that he is nice enough (gorgeous dressage type movement, also most likely good jump talent based on the dam and sire, cute face, nice color) but I don't know if pony breeders would be interested in breeding to such a "mutt"?

If the sire is no longer alive or breeding, and his pedigree is so good, and his conformation is so good, and his movement is so good then keep him intact. If any of those are no (meaning the sire is still alive or is still breeding mares, etc.), then geld him.

He won't stay a pony I'm willing to bet.
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse

Years ago I purchased a 2 year old that was to mature to a large. TB mare crossed with a small Welsh stallion. He was 13.3 at 2 1/2 years. Everyone just knew he would end up 14.1 1/2 or so.... Well at 4 years old he measured 14.2 3/4, and at 6 he was 14.3 1/2! Just goes to show, the ponies can be so unpredictable!

Default size?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by BREEDINGMANIAC View Post
    Years ago I purchased a 2 year old that was to mature to a large. TB mare crossed with a small Welsh stallion. He was 13.3 at 2 1/2 years. Everyone just knew he would end up 14.1 1/2 or so.... Well at 4 years old he measured 14.2 3/4, and at 6 he was 14.3 1/2! Just goes to show, the ponies can be so unpredictable!
    Funny, my Cherrybrook pony by Blue Who where there is certainly horse blood out of a TB mare was 14 1/2 when I got her at 2 and she is just about the same now at 4....She is and always has been a little butt high....so I wonder what will happen...thankfully she has a huge step and it super athletic so being a little on the smaller size does not effect her ability to show against the big larges! Any pony people know how these genes work?

Go to the North America Sport Pony website (they are part of the American Warmblood Registry) and take a look at some of the Pony Stallions on there. If you do decide to keep him intact it really won't matter much if he goes over a bit as people breed their pony mares to 14.3h and even 15h Stallions all the time. You would just want to experiment with different sized mares and see what you get, start off small and go from there. I mean hey, you could always geld him at any time. I know I said GELD HIM... But, if it's something that you think you might want to invest in then go for it!

It's just a matter of if he has Stallion appeal or not (I'm dying to know what he currently looks like as I am a HUGE fan of WB ponies)! Has he been to any kind of an inspection yet? You could ask the different registries who would take him as well... AHS and both Oldenburgs have a pony division in addition to NASPR.
    "There is dignity in lightness, truth in patience,
    but only ignorance in force"... www.cedarpinefarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by BREEDINGMANIAC

You didn't post the pedigree of who the sire and mare were, and how large was the mare?
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse

Quote Originally Posted by SSFLandon
    Funny, my Cherrybrook pony by Blue Who where there is certainly horse blood out of a TB mare was 14 1/2 when I got her at 2 and she is just about the same now at 4....She is and always has been a little butt high....so I wonder what will happen...thankfully she has a huge step and it super athletic so being a little on the smaller size does not effect her ability to show against the big larges! Any pony people know how these genes work?

Yes, but you didn't post the size of you mare.

Ponies generally are at their mature size by the end of their second year. If there is warmblood in there, the mature size takes longer to finish.

Default VIDEO ADDED

Hello everybody, so I finally made a video of Romeo. He did not want to canter much that day, so it only shows his trot and I guess you'll just have to believe me that his walk and canter are also very good. He is a bit fugly now, but I believe that the beauty will come back as he matures, he was so gorgeous as a foal.
    Here are the links:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdhTY-mrhq8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLkoZtD6OI0

what do you guys think?
    www.treadstonefarm.com

Well, call me Juliet, I'm in love. He's very fancy and yes, I'd like to see the walk/canter just to confirm that. I do have to say, though, he looks like a WB yearling and screams, "I have a TON of growing to do!!!" I hope you keep us posted as to what size he finally ends up and I don't mean at 3/4 more like 6/7.

Very cute, but I'm betting he's never gonna stay a pony.

Virginiabred, what are you basing your opinion on? (that he will not stay a pony). Is it just his breeding or how he looks?
    I was sure he'd be a hony when he was born, but then in November he just stopped growing and hasn't gotten any bigger. I can see him having another growth spurt of course, but just looking at his proportions, he is not all leg like my wb yearlings and his head and feet are all pony-sized. I guess I will find out eventually, unless I sell him, which doesn't seem like a possibility right now. I don't know if I should even bother trying. I don't really mind keeping him, though, I just could use some extra money (like everyone nowadays).
    www.treadstonefarm.com