The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Talking Who here loves their HORSE-A-SAURUS (tm)?

Our big guys.
    (People riding anything less than 16.3+ need not apply.)
    Even 16.3 is not so big standing next to an 18 hander.

I love my horseasaurus dumb-blood and I mean those words in the most loving, kindest, kiyoootist way possible.

He wasn't meant to be so big, but when he got of the truck as a skin and bones rising 6 year old, he was just over 16.3 and I figured he was done growing tall. He wasn't. What horses continue to grow tall after 6? Apparently, dumb-bloods have not read the book on horse maturity. In the 2 years after I got him he went from 16.3hh, 1200 lbs skin and bone to 17.3 and 1650 lbs...at 7 years old. His brain took another year or so to catch up.

And I had to buy a new trailer to fit him. And move to a new barn with bigger stalls. And buy all new blankets as he looked woefully overgrown in his 80 inch rugs.

OTOH, there are distinct advantages to owning the big guys.
    I am reasonably tall and I look proportional on the big guy.
    He is very impressive in a crowd.
    And he produces a lot of manure for the garden!

Please feel free to add your story about your real taller-than-average horse.
    And give our smilies the workout they deserve!
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

I have one, & love him in spite of his size. He grew 2.5 inches after I purchased him as a 16.1-hand 3 year old. He looked completely proportionate and full-grown at the time, so the extra growth was a little bit of an unwelcome surprise. I'm a 5'4 lady speeding towards middle age, and have no need for a giant.
    My next horse will definitely be a more compact model!
    --o0o--

I have two: A WB-asaurus and a Draftasaurus.
    the big girl:
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97...m/100_0666.jpg

the big guy stealing a slushie:
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97...Slushie4-1.jpg

OOOOH we could do a matching pas de deux, Chai!

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/9...2d7dba3b0a.jpg
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Quote Originally Posted by chai View Post
    Handsome boy

My 17.3, 2000 lb. Draftasaurus http://pets.webshots.com/photo/14299...15305252nnFPfK

And while I will always loff the bigguns, tis harder at 43 when you have an unplanned dismount. The judges gave me a 9.2 for my execution on Saturday. Alas, I did NOT stick the landing.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I had a 17.2 hh TB, and I had an 18.2 hh Percheron (both sticked at those heights). I loved them both. Such sweet horses.

Quote Originally Posted by CatOnLap View Post

Our big guys.
    (People riding anything less than 16.3+ need not apply.)
    Even 16.3 is not so big standing next to an 18 hander.
    You're mean. My horse is 14.3 and he's as good as your horse. This is height-ism at its ... ummm ... height.

Stop bragging about all the "BIG stuff" you had to buy for your horse. That's judgmental.

I bet my horse could beat up your "BIG guy." Then he'd stomp on that BIG blanket, pee on it and run away laughing. ha ha ha

Haha, mp, I love a scrappy 14.3'er any day (I have one, too!), but let me tell you, when 2,000 lbs. of draft horse muscle is thundering across the pasture at you, even the toughest QH will turn tail!

Love these drafties! Keep the pictures coming!

...when 2,000 lbs. of draft horse muscle is thundering across the pasture at you, even the toughest QH will turn tail!
    Yup! - Always neat when you can feel your horse coming before you see/hear them.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Yup! - Always neat when you can feel your horse coming before you see/hear them.
    When I moved back to CO, I chose to board at a barn with rubber pavers in the aisle. The first day I was bringing my 17/17.1 hanoverian gelding down the aisle, I heard everyone in the cross ties laughing (the barn is almost rectangular... two aisles of stalls connected at the end with the washracks/crossties/tackrooms). When I asked why, they all said they knew exactly when I was coming because of the "Clunk...clunk... clunk" down the aisle.. so much for being graceful. It all started again when I led my mare (same.. 17/17.1 hanoverian - my gelding's cousin!) down... they all hear me before the see me! there are a few bigger horses in the barn, but apparently they're a bit more elegant in their walk

Haha, mp, I love a scrappy 14.3'er any day (I have one, too!), but let me tell you, when 2,000 lbs. of draft horse muscle is thundering across the pasture at you, even the toughest QH will turn tail!
    Nuh-uh. He made a 17.2 horse-asaurus in our barn turn and run away just by giving him The Look. He's one of them Arab war horses and he ain't skeert of nuthin'.

And if even he DID run from a draft horse, he'd still pee on the blanket.

I have one! Koki-mon wasn't supposed to be this tall, but he has finally hit 16.3 (and only 5 so who knows).

I don't know where I first heard "horse-a-suarus" but I fondly refer to all of mine that way now - even the yearling filly, she is just a baby horse-a-saurus, so I have a bunch of 'em!

Arcadien,
    Looouvvvv my Horse-a-sauruses!

I think I have the wimpiest horse-a-saurus going, or the ponies that attack him are related to mp's.

He was once beat up by two ponies, that could have walked under him if they really tried. We are talking need vet out to deal with multiple cuts and shock. How does that happen when the horse outweighs both of his attackers?

I <3 our horseasaurus. (I am tickled that you call them that, because we call him that too.)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lauraxt...74422/sizes/l/
    and here looking a bit more elegant
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lauraxthomson/3363942069/

16.3 ISH with nearly 10" of bone. Takes a 64" girth with his jumping saddle. Despite all that he is really athletic and forward and can (and will!) gallop all day. Also, despite my fat b'side I never have to worry about even approaching the 20% weight rule (I'd be lucky to be 12% of his weight lol).
    Last edited by lxt; May. 12, 2009 at 04:10 PM. Reason: adding another picture, so sue me

ROFLOL. I used to call a friend's gi-normous Hanoverian, named, simply, "Dom," Domasaurus Rex. He was 17.2 and NOT dainty. Definitely "old type."

Hey no fair LXT...you have BOTH sizes and both are adorable! Love your big guy...something about that face catches my eye.
    Then saw this one in your album too...definitely not a horseasaurus but worthy of mention just for the cuteness factor:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lauraxt...n/photostream/
    I get an overwhelming urge to squeeze him, LOL!

I had one...unfortunately since I'm usually the only human around when I ride I don't think I have any photos of me riding my late great Galopin. But here's one of my scratching her itchy ears...you can see the size difference in the two of us. One of my fave activities was seeing if I could get on her bareback from the ground without smacking into her side and then smacking into the ground.
    17hh even, 1640 lbs of big bonededness (on a scale, not tape) size 4 shoe and a noggin like Bullwinkle moose. If her head was leaning on me, her poll was at my shoulder level and her nostrils were at my inseam. Her head was the same size as my torso.
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...5/e7ed2f38.jpg
    Lordy I miss that opinionated oversized chestnut mare!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

My favorite was my 17.2 Eq horse. (And I'm 5'3 and fit him, I'm all leg and stuff).

Another favorite was an 18hh WB that I'm sure I looked like a wee tot on, but LOVED. Jumped him 4' like it was 2'6"

Default I love my baby horseasaurus!

He's not there yet (he's only 2), but he should make up to at least 17hh (his mom's a strapping 17.2hh). My trainer saw him last weekend and I don't think she believed me when I told her he was a good bit bigger than her 3 y.o. She's a believer now. She actually scared me a bit by comparing him at the same age to a horse we both know (and love) who's a bit over 18hh.
    Y'all ain't right!

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Hey no fair LXT...you have BOTH sizes and both are adorable! Love your big guy...something about that face catches my eye.
    Thank you, he has a ton of charisma! The IDSNA classifiers talked about his "lovely little TB head" which about had me rolling on the ground (have to have bridles specially made, nothing fits him!).

Then saw this one in your album too...definitely not a horseasaurus but worthy of mention just for the cuteness factor:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lauraxt...n/photostream/
    I get an overwhelming urge to squeeze him, LOL!
    That is Opal, and she is bigger than you might think - 15.2ish? She is an unknown draftie that I borrowed over winter to learn foxhunting on. We think she is a Brabant. She is the only horse I have sat on where you look down at her neck and it doesn't taper - same width as her shoulders most of the way up. She has hunted first field (not with me!) and happily pops over 3'6".

We have a "little" ISH too, she is just over 16.2 now and probably almost done growing (just turned 6).
    http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...426266_518.jpg

I loff your mare too, she has the sweetest face!

Oh, Misty, your Gal was a gorgeous, big girl and all the big horses here are so cool.

I am laughing about your sassy too-big-to-be-a-pony but with big pony attitude Arabian, mp! We need pictures of this fearless creature!