The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New brush makes horsey swoon????

The weirdest thing happened. The other day I picked up a new curry comb - the gummy-textured (silicon?) ones that you put your hand inside. I had one already, but wanted a spare so I don't have to share.

Anyway, off to the barn, stuck horsey in the cross ties, set to work getting layers of mud off. To my astonishment, she began to lean into my hand, gradually dropped her head, slouched one hip over so far it was funny, and began to yawn big yawns. This is a horse that doesn't *hate* grooming, but never really seemed to enjoy it either. And she's rarely that relaxed.

Later I was talking to my husband about it (he was using the old curry comb), and we compared them - the old one, even though it is the same brand and style, is much stiffer and harder than the new one.

I think I've found just the perfect brush for this sensitive-skinned mare, then! She just wants to be brushed with something soft and delightful!

I'm so happy to have (accidentally) found something she likes that much!

I thought I was buying one of those - except it was a knock off and made of hard plastic - beware of imitations - it is not gel like at all, hard and even hurts my hand. tsk, tsk, Greenhawk.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    I thought I was buying one of those - except it was a knock off and made of hard plastic - beware of imitations - it is not gel like at all, hard and even hurts my hand. tsk, tsk, Greenhawk.
    Maybe that's what happened with the first one! Or maybe it hardened up with time? It is a couple years old. I love the new one so much I'm going to get another and throw out the crappy hard one.

They loooooooove those jelly curries. Mine are quite fond of the grooma soft touch ones with the soft, wiggly fingers, too. All of my horses will contort themselves in the craziest positions to make sure I hit the right spot. I know I've gotten the itchy spot because they scrunch their lips up and make such funny faces!

Is the one she likes a particular brand name?

Quote Originally Posted by Androcles View Post
    Is the one she likes a particular brand name?
    It was in a basket at the tack shop - it didn't have a branded packaging or tag on it - maybe she gets them in bulk. I'll go by there this week to get another and ask her what brand they are.

It really was amazing - I was rubbing my mare's belly with it and she had her neck all stretched out, wiggly lips. So cute!

Is this the one that has nubbies on the one side, but when you flip it over, it has really tiny little "fingers" on the other? If so, it is my Lab's favorite chin scratcher. It's very flexible...
    Cindy

I bought one of those last year - they're really good for scrubbing all the dirt out when giving a bath.

And yes, my horses react the same as yours did. So much so that I feel I should offer them a cigarette when I'm done. I tossed my other curry combs away.

We have a gelding that our barn that would do back flips for you to curry him with one of those. Anytime you have him in cross ties, he just can't take it when you curry him. He stands on three legs with his eyes closed, neck out and making all sorts of goofy faces. And when you stop...uh oh. He gets very upset and normally keeps swinging his butt into you until you start up again. Very naughty boy.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    And yes, my horses react the same as yours did. So much so that I feel I should offer them a cigarette when I'm done. I tossed my other curry combs away.
    This is what I was thinking and was going to say such, but I just couldn't think of a way to say it that wasn't dirty and just plain weird. Your way of putting it is a lot better than what I could have said.

I asked at the tack shop and the owner said it's just the cheap "Jelly Scrubber", like this one: http://www.horse.com/Rubber-Jelly-Scrubber-BJA30.html

I need a swoon-making brush!

My horses loff the unigroom curry, but only the pink one. The blue and purple ones are made to be harder and they don't like those as much.

Quote Originally Posted by lalahartma1 View Post
    I need a swoon-making brush!

I have one that's made out of mohair or rabbit or some such super soft fiber. Can't remember the brand name but I'll try and remember to glance at it next time I'm in the barn (which was supposed to be 2 hours ago)

I need to start buying cartons of cigarettes - I have 3 horses and I groom them a lot