The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Before and After - our cushings pony

Some of you may remember my posts about our daughter's leadline pony who has cushings...well here are some before and after pics...

the before pics: taken in early January 2009 (we picked him up two days before Christmas)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1556442252

The after pictures: (taken this weekend at their first horse show together)

just wanted to share them!

What kind of treatment did you do?

what's your secret?? evitex or pergolide?

he's on pergolide. 0.5 ml per day. He's foundered in the past and has really flat feet, so we are still are battling some soundness issues. but, for a leadline pony, he's perfect. he mildly foundered once since we had him, but that was before he was on the pergolide. since then...knock on wood...he's been good. he eats 2 qt plain BP a day and 1 qt Triple crown lite 2x a day....he's a tiny bit ribby, but compared to how he looked before, i don't mind!

Ohmygosh, he is ADORABLE!!!!

Thumbs up i remember your post.

he looks great!
    and is that a blue ribbon i see in the photos? congrats!

is he ouchy b/c of his feet? it sometimes takes a while for the residual ouchiness to resolve. but if you find down the road that he's still uncomfortable, consider shoes and pour in pads. i found that putting my mare in Epona shoes which use an impression material as a kind of a pour in pad really made a difference in her comfort. she did have concavity to her feet but had thin soles and was. v. ouchy.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

He's got shoes, and had pads since january. The farrier just took them off (not sure why!) and he was ouchy. painted his feet with venice turpentine 2 days and when i pulled him out he was MUCH better.

Yes, he got a blue in his leadline walk class and was second in the trot class (I couldn't get him to trot!) LOL it was just a little C rated horse show, but there were 9 in the walk and 6 in the trot class. not bad for their first show together lol.

This pony is a SAINT. my daughter rides him backwards, she kicks and yells TROT! and he just walks a little faster. I jog ahead, and he trots after me. He has NEVER spooked. never looked at anything...we are SO SO SO SO SO lucky to have him... now only if my daughter would grow a little so her leg came past the saddle flap! She will be 6 at the end of May and still wears her size 4 hunt coat that she has had since she was 3!

How cute. Is your daughter left handed by any chance?

I would not feed him any processed feeds and really focus on giving him a low NSC diet. For horses like him, good quality hay with a low NSC Vit/mineral supplement is enough. And even then the hay can be too high in sugars that could potentially cause laminitis flare ups despite him being on pergolide.

The following ingredients in the T Lite are really inappropriate for IR and/or Cushings horses, especially if the affected horse keeps having issues with sore hooves and you will get the same advise on the Yahoo Cushings group - excess iron can be a bog problem btw as it competes with uptake of other needed minerals. Horses generally have no need for extra dietary iron:

Wheat Middlings, Soybean Hulls, Alfalfa Meal, Distillers Dried Grains, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Ground Limestone, Cane Molasses, Salt, Flaxseed, Dried Yeast Fermentation Solubles, Brewers Dried Yeast, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Kelp Meal, Yeast Culture, Hydrated Sodium Calcium Aluminosilicate, Anethole, Fenugreek Seed, Lecithin, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Iron Proteinate, Magnesium Oxide, Magnesium Proteinate, Dried Trichoderma Longibrachiatum Fermentation Extract, Soybean Oil, Calcium Carbonate, Selenium Yeast, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Sulfate, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (Source of Vitamin C), Niacin Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Choline Chloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Folic Acid, L-Lysine, (Propionic Acid, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate (Preservatives)). [/FONT]
    [SIZE=-2](Free from Restricted Ruminant Protein Products per Title 21, CFR 589.2000)[/SIZE]

she's right handed actually - why do you ask?

I have done the research on Yahoo cushings group and feed, etc. for our little guy. he can't live on the beet pulp and hay alone (he barely eats the beet pulp) and we have him boarded right now, so we really can't make too big of demands on the B/O (long story). However, that being said, he was very sound on the TC lite, up until the farrier pulled his pads. I know his diet should be more stringent, but i am unable to do so right now ( no flames please)

Quote Originally Posted by myalter1 View Post
    she's right handed actually - why do you ask?
    She was dropping her left shoulder more than the right in one photo

I have done the research on Yahoo cushings group and feed, etc. for our little guy. he can't live on the beet pulp and hay alone (he barely eats the beet pulp) and we have him boarded right now, so we really can't make too big of demands on the B/O (long story). However, that being said, he was very sound on the TC lite, up until the farrier pulled his pads. I know his diet should be more stringent, but i am unable to do so right now
    I understand the dilemma. Just wanted to make sure you are aware of any potential risks and the pad issue to me is a sign that it would probably help him if the diet was more controlled.

Hopefully you can some time in the future - best wishes

Can you PLEASE post the photos some where other than facebook. I so want to see them and facebook (and myspace) are blocked here at work.

thanks borntoride. i didn;t notice the left shoulder drop. her position wasn't great in those pics. she normally sit up really tall. i think she was "trying really hard to win" and was forgetting what she was trying to do! LOL she's funny like that.

as far as the diet goes...i hope to, in the future, be able to have a little more control over it...we'll see how things go. maybe i can move him home some day.

trubandloki:
    I would post somewhere else, but i don't know how... sorry. i don't have webshots or kodak gallery....

I can email them to you if you really want to see them

I wanna see too and can't see facebook from work!

Shutterfly and Flickr are easy and free

Glad to hear I am not the only one JB. Darn work.

will try to upoad them to shutterfly or something.
    JB - PM me and i will email them to you too!

Quote Originally Posted by BornToRide View Post

The following ingredients in the T Lite are really inappropriate for IR and/or Cushings horses, especially if the affected horse keeps having issues with sore hooves and you will get the same advise on the Yahoo Cushings group - excess iron can be a bog problem btw as it competes with uptake of other needed minerals. Horses generally have no need for extra dietary iron:
    This might prickle the hairs of some folks here, but honestly I've been finding out that I think the trim is FAR more important than what the horse eats. There, I said it. With Libbey's heels and bars super short/low, she can eat whatever she wants. Seriously.

He looks just wonderful! I can relate to you about having a tiny little one! My daughter will be 5 in October and wears a 2T show coat! Our pony ( leased from a dear friend) is a founder, pre-cushings been there won that pony. We only have her on cool and light (pennfield), Quiessence, and MSM. She is sound with front shoes and doing great!
    Your pony looks like he loves your little girl!!! Good Luck!

Adorable pony. Cute as a button daughter. Dynamite duo.

Pony looks wonderful. It sounds like you are managing him well. There should be a blue ribbon for you, too!
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    This might prickle the hairs of some folks here, but honestly I've been finding out that I think the trim is FAR more important than what the horse eats. There, I said it. With Libbey's heels and bars super short/low, she can eat whatever she wants. Seriously.
    Sorry, but I ain't buying unless I see this consistently, which so far I have not. I trim a Cushings mare (not on pergolide) and a 25+ TB, both who are very prone to soreness when they get a bit too much NSCs in their diet. Both have rather low heeled hooves that also want to run forward.

When I started trimming they were both very sore - asked the owner to take away the Equine senior they were getting. Both horses improved and were no longer sore.

Owner bought orchard grass hay and started feeding it - horses became sore again. Asked owner to take it away when I was there for trimming and saw the horses again only 2weeks later when I fitted her younger TB with boots. Low and behold, both horses were no longer sore and have since remained sound.

Trimming has consistently focused on bringing the toes back as much and safely as possible while keeping the low heels balanced.

This is not the only experience I have had in this respect.

Default i think you've done your research re diet

the last time around.
    based on his looks it sure seems that the diet you have him on works well for him.
    check your pm's
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique