The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Stay away from them. PM if you need more info.

One of my very close friends got a horse from there that we all believed was drugged and she was sound for the week we got her and then went lame. She went through 3 horses from there and they all were'nt good and had some sort of major problem. I wouldnt trust getting a horse from there.
    I have also heard about strangles and a few other things going around there.

snicktrip Guest

I personally do alot of buisness witht the Strain family. I find them to be very upfront and honest with you. They have nice quality horses. I board at Bill Strain's sons place and most people there have his ex-school horses or horses from his sale barn. The only thing is I recommend, is that you bring an expierenced person with you and a checkbook. They sell within a week tops and you have to make a descison fast. Other then that, it truly is an awesome place.

Also if any of you has any info on this horse, please let me know!!

This horse was a school horse at my barn. He was my love, my everything. He is a tatooed TB gelding. Smaller, probably 15 hh. Bay with a wide blaze. He went through the Strain Family Sale Barn in Granby, CT. If any of you have any info on him, please let me know.His regestered name is STYLE SHOW and his tatoo number is C43356. Any info you may have is greatly appreciated. I miss him sooo much. I just want to know that he is in a loving home.

http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/t...ip/william.jpg

I have heard that you can get a decent lesson horse there. No personal experience but don't imagine you can really expect outstanding results from such a large dealer. I am not a big fan of their ads that say "take him home, try him, and if you don't love him....bring him back!" Not exactly the same as saying "take him home, try him, and if you don't love him....bring him back -- but not as a refund....for a credit toward another horse when and if you ever find one you like."

I didn't realize this (not that I was ever looking) but having seen some of their ads I knew who they were. Someone at the barn I ride at bought a mare from them and it didn't work out, then had a very hard time finding another one for the value of the credit she had. Needless to say, not a great situation unless you know up front. Again, for a lesson horse prospect it could work out very well.

You can buy a nice, sound horse there. But to do so, you'll have to take your time in finding one, and go up with a very experience person (i.e. your trainer). It's not a place to go to if you live far away, and they do drug their horses. Trying out their horses in their saddles is very hard. The saddles are crap, and they almost never fit the horses.

But we've gotten some nice horses from them. My train got an OTTB their and trained him in everything - he was a top show horse. One of my close friends got a top notch prospect their this spring. Everybody is always asking what his breeding is, and their mouths practically drop when she tells them he's a full QH.

So yeah - buyer beware. Just be smart, and shop around at plenty of other places. It's worth taking a look at, though.

Tialulu Guest

I'm looking for a TB chestnut mare (approx. 11 yrs old now) purchased Fall 2007 at the Virginia Hunter Professional Auction by the Strain Family Farm. She has a dent in her HQ visible by her tail like she had been poked by a steer; and a star on her forehead. 15.3 to 16.0 hands and otherwise a plain chestnut. Registered & unraced "Pinky's Playgirl" known at the time of sale as "Penny Lane." She may have shyness about having her hind feet touched & exhibit extreme reluctance. She had been abused in past by a farrier. Otherwise unflappable & great jumper. Just want to know if she's okay & available for purchase. Note: I did contact Bill Strain and he told me that he handles 1000 horse sales or horses per week and this was two years ago. I would expect that a professional horse dealer would keep records. He was unable to help me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tialulu View Post
    I would expect that a professional horse dealer would keep records. He was unable to help me.
    From the sound of the other posts I see on here, apparently that was your first mistake. Good luck though!

Quote Originally Posted by dmalbone View Post
    From the sound of the other posts I see on here, apparently that was your first mistake. Good luck though!
    that was a bit snarky

1 members found this post helpful.

Strain sells horses regularly at the Camelot Auction in NJ. Some of these go to the killpen, as he usually makes it clear there is no reserve.

Quote Originally Posted by fivehorses View Post
    that was a bit snarky
    I just meant her mistake was what she thought about the "keeping records" part, not the selling or auction or whatever goes on or the situation with her horse (or the one she's looking for). I don't know the person, but I was only commenting based on a lot of negative comments I've read here. Maybe I misunderstood or misread, but I got the impression he wasn't extremely professional. My mistake if he is or that was misconstrued.

Haven't heard good things either, too much to type. Be careful.

BO had a really nice paint mare that she was trying to sell for a while - she and the mare just did not get along. She took the mare up to Strains because they take 'trade ins' - the offered her next to nothing for this mare. So she picked out another one, and of course they wanted the trade in plus $$ for the new horse. First horse ended up being dead lame, 2nd horse had a serious bucking issue, 3rd horse ended up being ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh 10 years older than they said, AND lame to boot - but the BO fell in love with the last one. It took almost a year but the old mare did come up sound, and is dead quiet.

Bottom line - they ended up paying (between trade in and cash down) over $8000 for a 25+ lame mare.

I've known a few others in the area with similar experiences.

I grew up and took lessons near Strains, so have ridden LOTS of horses that came through them. My mother, who did not ride for very long, remembers Strains vividly from when SHE was growing up. They are definitely horse dealers, and some of the horses have fishy stories (ie adorable, ranch-branded but paperless 2 y/o QH with a botched tail de-nerving, hmm indeed...).
    Whoever said that they will give you what you want if you tell them what you want was quite right. I know of a young lady whose parents didn't seem to know any better...she went to Strains and said she wanted a black horse. And they gave her a black horse. First a Friesian, I think, and then a ginormous TB. In the end, neither horse worked out, to nobody's surprise.
    My concern with them, as with any horse-dealer, is the lack of a paper trail and wanting to be able to ask how the horse got there in the first place. I would not buy something unpapered from them, although that is what people primarily do. Definitely go with a buyer-beware, no-nonsense attitude and a smart (non-neophyte) friend. On the other hand, they know the business and will take horses back.
    Last edited by BravAddict; Dec. 21, 2009 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Another story
    Disclaimer: My mom told me that people might look at my name and think I had an addiction other than horses. I don't; his name was Bravado.

I bought a recently broke 5 year old Paint mare off of them 9 years ago for $6,000 and she is wonderful. I finished her training and showed locally with much success through 1st level dressage, trail rode, and competed in halter, showmanship and model hunter. I have an awesome 6 year old out of her also. A back injury prevents any further riding but she is so well mannered I use her for teaching my vet. tech. students. She had a cough when I got her home but in 2 weeks she had come to Pa from Michigan via 2 auctions and 2 sale barns so I wasn't really surprised. I had a full vetting done and kept my fingers crossed.
    On the 8th day God created the Quarter Horse. On the 9th day, he Painted the good ones.

The lesson program that I taught from bought many horses from them. Some turned out to be amazing and are still there and others were duds. We would drive up and pick out a bunch. If they didn't work out we would trade them back for something else. I think they told you what they knew and in most cases it wasn't a whole bunch. Prices were way higher than I would pay but the county program seemed to have no issues paying that amount of money for horses. I could have found nicer horses in downstate Delaware for 1/3 the price!

I'm probably the only person here who doesn't know who the Strain's are or Frying Pan whatchamacallit, but from reading all the posts, they sound like any other horse trader in the country to me, except they may be more liable to trade a good one for one that didn't pan out. The dealer I get some of my horses from is the same way. He'll trade you and, to people in the know around here, he does get some whoppin' good horses but doesn't show them to just any ol' body that walks onto his place. The good 'uns are in the back usually. When dealing with any trader, you better know your stuff. Same with the tack. He'll show you the cr@ppy stuff first and then when he ascertains you have a discerning eye, he'll take you in his house to the quality tack. The good part about him is that he does the traveling to find the horses and he's very fair about prices. I don't begrudge him a cent for making a profit. The horses are usually good to almost great.

ETA: When buying from any dealer, or just about anyone anyway, I assume they've been exposed to an assortment of bugs and 'usually' hit them with a round of pen. for good measure. That and keeping them in quarantine for a bit and you're good to go.
    Last edited by Hip; Dec. 22, 2009 at 08:01 PM. Reason: .

Default trying to find the previous owner of a mare from the Strain Family Horse Farm

Hi - I purchased a beautiful mare from someone who had bought her from the Va Hunter Sports Auction and sold by Bill Strain. I am trying to find the owner who sent her there. I called the Strains and they said they do not keep any paperwork on their horses. She was sold as a warmblood cross. She is bay, 16-1 with a triangular shaped white mark on her left front coronet band. When she was sold at auction she was very light - she is now a beautiful mahogany bay - She has amazing gaits - big floaty trot. I think she is a trakehner - she does have the personality of one - very smart, needs a very experienced rider, looks exactly like a Trakehner. Someone did some very solid groundwork and w-t-c work to train her - but I am thinking someone may have gotten frustrated with her. She definitely has alot of tricks up her sleeve. I am thinking it is someone in CT, NY or Massachusetts. She was sold in 2009 at the auction - is supposed to have been foaled in 2001.
    Last edited by hwin; Dec. 25, 2012 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hwin View Post
    Hi - I purchased a beautiful mare from someone who had bought her from the Va Hunter Sports Auction and sold by Bill Strain. I am trying to find the owner who sent her there. I called the Strains and they said they do not keep any paperwork on their horses. She was sold as a warmblood cross. She is bay, 16-1 with a triangular shaped white mark on her left front coronet band. When she was sold at auction she was very light - she is now a beautiful mahogany bay - She has amazing gaits - big floaty trot. I think she is a trakehner - she does have the personality of one - very smart, needs a very experienced rider, looks exactly like a Trakehner. Someone did some very solid groundwork and w-t-c work to train her - but I am thinking someone may have gotten frustrated with her. She definitely has alot of tricks up her sleeve. I am thinking it is someone in CT, NY or Massachusetts. She was sold in 2009 at the auction - is supposed to have been foaled in 2001.
    http://www.professionalauction.com/results09.htm Look at the 2009 results. You need to know which of the 3 sales she was in at Frying Pan. I linked to all of the 2009 results. Sometimes they show you who bought them if you know what the hip number was for the sale
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Hi - I found out who bought her from the auction - they gave me that information - that woman couldn't handle her, sold her to the person I bought her from in New Hampshire. I am trying to find the person who gave her up to the Strain Farm. Am trying to find out what breed she is. She looks exactly like a Trakehner/Thoroughbred Cross with a bit of Hanovarian. We are doing DNA testing on her but I know it is like looking for a needle in a haystack. I want to breed her and it would be great if I could find out her dam and sire........I keep hoping the person who gave her up will see this post! I have called a ton of places in Connecticut and NY State. It had to have been someone who just had to give her up - she is too talented to be given up. She is pretty high strung - but is such an amazing horse. Hard to believe someone would give her away like that without trying to sell her themselves.....thanks so much for sending the list - I found her in the March 2008 listing - $1,500.00 #76 named Belle - mare - Warmblood / 7 years old. I just wish I could find out who sent her to Bill Strain's to start. I feel so lucky having her - would love to let the previous owner know how great she is doing.
    Last edited by hwin; Dec. 25, 2012 at 09:28 PM.

I got a fabulous horse from them, but it was after I had to return one. I initially got a realllllly cute appendix (who I had vetted), that never took a sound step once he arrived at my farm. After I was roped in by the initial one, I traded for another (and some additional $ of course).