The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hwin, I appreciate that you think you have a nicely bred mare and that may be the case. I am sure the Strains have some sort of record of horses they buy and sell for tax purposes if nothing else, but don't feel like looking through 4 year old records. Now they might do it if you PAID for the research. They are horse dealers and this is a business for them. Money talks.

DNA testing might help you. The VGL at Davis has been pretty active for decades, so you might have some luck there.

If you want to breed the mare, go for it. I would suggest looking for a registry that accepts grade mares. That way the offspring will be registered as something.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

1 members found this post helpful.

*^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Thanks for the thought of offering to pay them. Might just do that, although when I spoke to them, it sounds like they have too many horses sold every year to keep track. They also said they get some from out west so I am thinking I have hit a dead end with this. I am planning on getting her approved as a warmblood so can at least do that without any other information on her. Thanks so much.

I've never heard of them so went on a google search and found their Facebook page.
    One thing I thought was curious is how nearly every horse seems able to do IT ALL!! And that the riders are out there jumping those horses whose backgrounds they (from what I've read here?) don't know...
    Very interesting.
    Some nice looking horses, that's for sure. Too bad they have a seemingly shoddy business and have to lie about certain things. :/

They have 2 on there list on FB that seem very cute. I would caution anyone going to look though.
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

I really do think they must have some records on horses purchased and sold for the tax purposes. I know that I do for my horse sales. You are supposed to pay taxes on the profit and I can't imagine they don't make some sort of profit in their business. I would see if they would look for records for a fee. It's not like the OP doesn't have specific horse sales information that would narrow their search.

There are a few warmblood registries that take grade mares, however, the stress is on few and there is some discussion about the quality of these registries. I would try to find parentage or at least do the DNA (it's just a hair pull now) and see what happens. The more information you have, the better the chance to get approved by a quality registry.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Quote Originally Posted by hwin View Post
    Hi - I found out who bought her from the auction - they gave me that information - that woman couldn't handle her, sold her to the person I bought her from in New Hampshire. I am trying to find the person who gave her up to the Strain Farm. Am trying to find out what breed she is. She looks exactly like a Trakehner/Thoroughbred Cross with a bit of Hanovarian. We are doing DNA testing on her but I know it is like looking for a needle in a haystack. I want to breed her and it would be great if I could find out her dam and sire........I keep hoping the person who gave her up will see this post! I have called a ton of places in Connecticut and NY State. It had to have been someone who just had to give her up - she is too talented to be given up. She is pretty high strung - but is such an amazing horse. Hard to believe someone would give her away like that without trying to sell her themselves.....thanks so much for sending the list - I found her in the March 2008 listing - $1,500.00 #76 named Belle - mare - Warmblood / 7 years old. I just wish I could find out who sent her to Bill Strain's to start. I feel so lucky having her - would love to let the previous owner know how great she is doing.
    Have you checked for a microchip. It's a long shot, but worth a try.

Christa

Yes - I am having such a hard time that they don't keep records. I just need to find out the person she came from. When I called they said they dealt with so many horses, they would never remember any particular horse - very frustrating. I am having DNA testing done on her - we think she is a Trakehner - she looks just like one, moves like one and acts like one!(Very sensitive). The problem with DNA testing is that you need the sire and dam - I have two that we think she may be out of and they will hopefully run them through others if those don't work out. I am waiting or the results, I sent them out a few weeks ago. I just keep thinking that someone in that area had to give her up. It is so hard to believe that a horse like this would just be given away. Am not sure how I can post pictures on this - I'll find out. She can be a bit of a terror, but is such a beautiful mover, so smart and easy to train. She definitely had good solid ground training from someone. But - sadly enough has so many scratch scars on her back - she must have flipped over a ton of times - am sure someone tried to rush her onto a trailer. She doesn't load well. Has trust issues. I am her longest owner that we know of and she totally trusts me now so that is good!

I will call them to see if I can pay them. Life has been nutty lately - I'll do that tomorrow and let you know what they say! Thank you!!

I never thought of that - I will ask my vet - thank you!!! That is an amazing idea!

I agree. I am so sad that my horse was there. It breaks my heart. They do look like they have some nice horses. I can't actually figure the whole thing out! It is just so hard to understand that they don't keep any records. Then I am horrified to think that she was sent to auction. I am trying to give her the best life I can so hopefully someday she will forget everything!!

When you buy a horse from them you have to pay sales tax.

Strain sold her at the Virginia Sport Horse Auction. I am trying to find the person who gave her to Strain. I keep thinking someone will look at these posts - has to be someone in Massachusetts or Ct or Eastern NY. Strain does go out west - if she came from out there I am figuring I have no way of ever finding her previous owner. I moved from New England and the horse world is pretty close knit out there so keep hoping someone who knows of her will see this.

Strain gets horses from all over, not just New England. A friend of mine bought a horse from them last year that they'd picked up in Ohio. She was able to find the original owners of the horse but only because it was such a recent experience. Sadly, that buying experience did not end well. It reinforced my perspective on them which is that if you buy from them, bring a pro, do a full PPE and draw blood.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

That is what I have been finding out. I am so sorry for your friend. I am realizing this is actually an impossible task.

hwin - I would assume if she arrived at Strains with papers that she would have been sold with papers...wether or not they were actually hers.

Strain buys horses at auctions all over. Sadly some people just take probem horses to auction.

Your horse is lucky to have you.

I have been a customer of this sales barn. I can tell you that I traded a horse in to Strain Family Farm and essentially no questions were asked, later I saw him advertised as "trail friendly, show prospect..." and all this other nonsense. He was not any of these things but, sure, he had the potential for these things. The horse was a green 5 year old and I was over mounted. He had potential but he had never been on a trail in his life when I brought him there. The horse I purchased was advertised as a similar "do it all horse". Overall, I tried about 10 different horses and I am happy with the horse I purchased and the price I paid.

I did not have a bad experience at this place but I'm just sharing my experience so perhaps others can understand why I wouldn't be surprised, at all, that they don't have or keep extensive records on their horses.

The thing I like about the farm, as a sales barn, is it's a revolving door of horses, the horses are cheap and You can ride 10 horses in one day and take your pick. Compared to traveling to 10 different barns to try out 10 different horses.

One of the things I did not like was the condition of the place. The stalls were clean, the horses were well cared for but the farm was like 3 acres (estimating) and there were over 30 horses there. I know the horses are only there for a short period of time but it was too many horses for such a small property.

I think it's important to note that this is not a barn for a beginner to go pick out a horse. Bring your professional trainer or know what you are doing and you could find a horse that will meet your needs. Also their 3 week exchange policy is great and they do stay true to their word.

I dealt with Mr. Strain Directly who has since passed away. I was made fun of for being a "english rider" I was told my helmet was "a stupid waste of time" and I was also asked "why are you putting your stirrups up?" when I was walking one horse from the round pen back to the barn. I replied "for safety so the horse does not catch it self on something on the way back to the barn". I was told this was also "a was a waste of time". Personally, I found these little jibs and jabs, by an obviously western dominated barn, kind of funny. I do have a sense of humor, so I did not let them get to me but I could see how someone could have been offended by this behavior. There's certain things you can get away with once you reach Old Man status and that's just was Mr. Strain was a funny, sarcastic old man. He was also truthful about some of the horses there. I fell in love with a palomino right off the bat and flat out told me "Than horse will kill you." I respected that.

Quote Originally Posted by hwin View Post
    Strain sold her at the Virginia Sport Horse Auction. I am trying to find the person who gave her to Strain. I keep thinking someone will look at these posts - has to be someone in Massachusetts or Ct or Eastern NY. Strain does go out west - if she came from out there I am figuring I have no way of ever finding her previous owner. I moved from New England and the horse world is pretty close knit out there so keep hoping someone who knows of her will see this.
    Have you tried posting a picture of her and a description in the 'missing horses' area? I think I've seen others posted in there that are new owners looking for information, someone has to know who your horse is

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonhunter View Post
    He was also truthful about some of the horses there. I fell in love with a palomino right off the bat and flat out told me "Than horse will kill you." I respected that.
    I wish someone there had given that advice to my friend who bought a horse from him. Two broken ribs and a concussion later, she took him back but was so discouraged by the experience she did not get another horse from them.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

How do I post a picture? I don't have any pictures when he owned her. She has totally changed in the past 3 years. Her previous owner gave me some photos so I can post those. It makes sense from the post above yours that he sold her at the Sport Horse Auction is he usually sells western horses, because she is totally not a western horse. I am doing dressage with her - she loves it - has incredible gaits. The girl I bought her from was doing hunter/jumpers with her. I will figure out how to post a picture and do that - thank you!!

I have heard and feel so badly that Hwin was in such cramped conditions! Poor baby. I can see why she was sold at the sport horse auction - she totally isn't western material. I am going to post some pictures on the missing horses page and see if anyone responds. Thank you!!