The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Super-adorable kittens need homes... now with video! (Baltimore MD)

*** Edited to add: Wendell has been adopted, but his littermates are still looking! ***

"Wendell" should not be here -- I thought I had trapped and fixed all the adult feral cats at his colony site, but I wandered by on Friday night while walking my dog looking for two adolescent kittens there who are still eluding me, and found Wendell! So, obviously I missed a fertile one out there somewhere...

He is probably about 10 weeks old. He had never met a human before Friday, but he's figuring out pretty quick that we are OK. He likes to be petted and will purr like crazy, and is fine with being picked up and held. He needs to go to a home with another kitten or young cat to play with... young kittens get into too much trouble all by their lonesomes. (He and Dora, who is also listed here on Giveaways, get along well, if you want to adopt a friend along with him. )

He will be shy and a bit scared at first, since all of this stuff is *totally* new to him. But as long as you've got some animal sense, he'll be a piece of cake to work with -- he's like a green horse, just needs to be introduced to stuff gradually and positively. I would just rather go ahead and place him with someone who knows what they're doing, rather than wait another week or two til he's totally socialized and adoptable to the world at large... mostly because I already have enough foster cats to take care of, but also because the wackos come out of the woodwork during kitten season and I'd rather he go to a COTHer than whoever is first to claim him off the rescue's website.

He will be getting fixed, tested, and his first vaccinations tomorrow. I can deliver anywhere within reasonable driving distance of Baltimore.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wendell.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	25115  
    Last edited by Erin; Jun. 15, 2009 at 01:14 PM.

Erin is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

A couple more photos of Wendell and his mousie.

Name:	IMG_1804.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	25126   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1807.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	25127   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1812.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	25128   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1814.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	25129  

Erin - is he a silver tabby?

Original Poster

Yep!

I thought so. I recently had to PTS my sweet, beautiful silver tabby Sugar due to a malignant leg tumor - she was only 13. She had less white tho.

Now there are "only" 4 inside cats and the 3 barn cats (one adopted from CoTH as a feral but is turning into a love bug). Lila (discovered in the lilac bush by the Doberman two years ago - close call there) could use a playmate ... oh my.

He is adorable. Let me think about it. He would be an inside only kitty.

Original Poster

Aw, I'm sorry about your kitty. 13 is way too young.

I do not need a 4th kitty, I do not need a 4th kitty, I do not need a 4th kitty...... Or do I?

Original Poster

I think Ramona has been calling your name, lcw... She could give Ollie a run for his money!

Edited to add: everything went smoothly for Wendell at the SPCA today. He's FIV/feline leukemia negative and came through his neuter surgery with flying colors, and is back in his crate playing with his mousie.
    Last edited by Erin; May. 12, 2009 at 08:54 PM.

Original Poster

Wendell has found a great new home with Lavender Farm. BUT... as it turns out, there were more where he came from. Walked back by with the dog on Friday night, and lo and behold, two more kittens! They must be Wendell's siblings -- seem to be right about the same age, around 10 weeks.

So, of course, I scooped them up and brought them home. They are still really scared, but I can pick them up and pet them. Both are VERY fluffy longhairs -- one is a gray tabby male, and the other is a brown tabby female. I named them (drum roll please!) Rachel and Alexander.

They got fixed and got their first shots today, and are feline leukemia negative. Rachel has some eye goopies going on, but it seems to be improving. They are really bonded to each other, and I'd love to adopt them out as a pair.

Name:	IMG_1815.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	25293  
    Last edited by Erin; May. 20, 2009 at 12:17 AM.

Erin - thank you so much for entrusting Wendell (now renamed Spy) to me. He is a delight and making much progress from feral kittyland to house kitten, thanks to Erin giving him a wonderful start.

Erin was GREAT to work with and went out of her way to deliver sweet Spy.

These kittens (and cats) deserve good homes and will reward you many times over! Go for it. You won't regret the joy they will bring.

Original Poster

Sigh. MORE DAMN KITTENS!

Found these two last night. I'm assuming all these guys are the same litter, but I really HOPE this is the last of them!

These two haven't been fixed yet. Will report back on sex... and will get better pictures. The brown tabby looks just like Rachel, and the other is a gray classic tabby who has a bullseye spot on his/her side.

Name:	morekittens.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	25360  

Original Poster

OK, *someone* out there needs to take these ridonkulously cute kittens off my hands!

The second pair will go to get fixed on Tuesday -- they're still pretty scared of life in general right now.

BUT... Rachel and Alexander are quite seriously two of the cutest kittens I have EVER met. They are now quite friendly, Rachel especially. I'm still keeping them in a crate just because one of my own cats is not terribly nice to newcomers, but they get playtime out of the crate several times a day, and they are absolutely hilarious. They drag-race up and down my living room, and are always scaring each other and doing the POOF and Halloween kitty pose. It is BEYOND ridiculous. I get sucked into watching them play and before I know it, an hour has gone by. Who needs TV?

They have been around my Lab and are wary, but OK. They'll play with the adult cats who engage them, but are smart enough to stay out of the way of the ones who don't want to talk to them. They're getting used to all the normal household noises and have been handled by lots of different people. They're not quite to the point where they'll come up and ask for attention, but if you even look at her, Rachel starts purring, and Alexander loves to stick his paws out of the crate and try to grab you when you walk by.

Alexander is a bit bigger than his sister, and is the spitting image of a wonderful gray longhaired tomcat we rescued from the same site (I'm assuming he's the baby daddy ). That cat is drop-dead gorgeous and super-friendly, and I think Alexander will be the same. Rachel is really pretty -- lots of colors in her coat, so I think she'll be a really striking adult. She's the snuggler of the two; Alexander is the brave adventurer.

They are really attached to each other, also -- whoever I catch first and put back in the crate immediately starts crying for the other.

I'm really hoping to find them a home together. Indoor-only, no-declaw home preferred. Delivery available.

Name:	IMG_1834.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	25475   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1839.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	25476   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1841.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	25477   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1847.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	25478  

Erin, cats know a good thing and they whisper to their friends to join the party. Thanks for be so kind to them.

Alley Cat Allies is a national organization to help with spaying and neutering of stray and feral cats.
    http://www.alleycat.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=191

Forgotten Cats is located in northern DE and also has a clinic in Willow Grove, PA. I volunteer for this organization and have a tiny kitten now that I'm fostering. She's a whining little girl, nags me all the time but she's so cute, with seal points like a Siamese and creamy color but stripes. She may be very unusual. She's adorable, but so are the thousands of other kittens just born this kitten season and they won't all be saved.
    http://www.forgottencats.org/index.php

Original Poster

A bump for the kittens!

The second pair (still nameless) got fixed on Tuesday, both are girls. So now all four kittens are in a crate together.

Rachel is really turning out to be a cuddler. She loves to be picked up and held and will snuggle up under your chin and give you kisses. Alexander prefers to use humans for entertainment... he's always trying to play.

They now pretty much ignore the dog (Rachel actually seems to quite like her) and are marching around the whole house. They've been perfect with the litter box.

SOMEONE out there needs these two little puffs of adorableness!

Original Poster

Is the COTH kitten market saturated?

Rachel is asleep in my lap right now. She is sooooo sweet. Loves people, loves to be held and snuggle, etc. She will climb right up your chest and shoves her wet little nose into your neck. Just an absolute darling. Her brother Alexander is still the independent type, and very much a boy. He's always investigating stuff!

The last two kittens have been christened Summer and Birdie (of course! ) Summer is a shorthair gray tabby and Birdie is a longhaired brown tabby (both girls). They're still a bit on the shy side, but are coming along. Rachel and Alexander are both ready to go to new homes though. I've got the whole family running around my office now... which is not terribly conducive to getting work done... but they all play well together and with other kitties. All use the litter box and a scratch pad, etc.

I don't want to put them on Craigslist! Anyone? Anyone?

Original Poster

Video, if anyone is interested...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G74g9wJRqEI

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Is the COTH kitten market saturated?

Rachel is asleep in my lap right now. She is sooooo sweet. Loves people, loves to be held and snuggle, etc. She will climb right up your chest and shoves her wet little nose into your neck. Just an absolute darling. Her brother Alexander is still the independent type, and very much a boy. He's always investigating stuff!

The last two kittens have been christened Summer and Birdie (of course! ) Summer is a shorthair gray tabby and Birdie is a longhaired brown tabby (both girls). They're still a bit on the shy side, but are coming along. Rachel and Alexander are both ready to go to new homes though. I've got the whole family running around my office now... which is not terribly conducive to getting work done... but they all play well together and with other kitties. All use the litter box and a scratch pad, etc.

I don't want to put them on Craigslist! Anyone? Anyone?
    The COTH indoor kitten market may be I would love a kitten to keep with Grey. Our latest problem has been when I walk the dogs - he tries to follow along and walks down the middle of the road giving me heart failure every time a car goes by. Maybe if he had a CAT friend he wouldn't think he was a dog?? But no kitties in the house for me...they have their own heated/cooled kitty paradise outdoors though

Original Poster

Ooh, I'm pretty sure I know of a girl kitty who needs a barn home. Maybe Gray needs a paramour to keep him home? Let me check and see what we've got...

Original Poster

okggo, I'll be sending you a PM in a minute with your potential new kitty's particulars.

And another bump for the kittens, *especially* Rachel and Alexander. Rachel has been tentatively adopted twice, but then both times the person decided they wanted an older kitty. (Which is good for the older kitties!) Alexander has suddenly, in the last week or two, become just as snuggly as his sister. I would looooove if these two could be adopted together. They are wonderful, friendly, loving, affectionate, snuggly kitties, and drop dead gorgeous to boot! (And non-horse people just don't appreciate their names... even after I explain it. )

Summer and Birdie are coming along as well... Birdie is a snuggler, although shyer than Rachel and Alex. Summer is still pretty timid.

Oh, and Alexander has proven himself to be quite the boy... I took a floor vent cover off the other day to retrieve a ponytail holder (which, of course, the kittens had stolen and dropped in there). While my back was turned, HE WENT DOWN THE VENT! He had a grand old time exploring down there, while I was frantically calling his name and peering down all the vents. He finally popped out of one on the opposite side of the house! Whew...

C'mon, SOMEONE WANTS THESE KITTENS!!!

Default Bumping for the furrballs!

Just a little bump! A quick thought...if you have them listed on a website, perhaps you could advertise the long hairs as Maine Coon/Norwegian Forest mixes. Always worked well for me when I posted photos and info for a couple of local rescue groups on petfinder. People came from out of state even though they knew they weren't purebreds! They were just looking for a certain type and it made it easier to find ours if we listed them as mixes of a particular breed versus DLH or DSH. Anyhow, you probably already know this, but in case it helps... Kudos for all of the rescuing you do!