The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question anyone hear that frontline has become ineffecive against fleas and ticks?

if so what do you use on your farm animals these days?

i heard this from a farm owner whose local small animal vet told her that the clients in the area have been complaining that frontline suddenly does nothing for fleas and ticks. they're recommending some new product starts w/ "v" and is sold only by veterinarians (???). so far i made one application of frontline this year and have not seen any fleas. ticks do attach but i think that's how it goes w/ frontline - they attach and die, right?
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

It may well be a regional issue

The fleas and ticks in your area, due to heavy use of frontline by pet owners, may have built up a resistance to Frontline, but in my area, we dont have as many users of it so it still works just fine

Its the same with fly sprays. The "popular" ones work great for a few years and then dont work at all after that and you need to switch to a new one as the flies build up a resistance to the former one

Exclamation fleas & ticks

I don't know about Frontline b/c we use Revolution, but this year we're still fighting ticks on the face and ears even with regular application. No fleas, just the ticks and they're sticking! But judging by the number we're finding on the faces, they are really, really bad this year....

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Frontline quit working around here about five years ago
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Frontline did diddly for my cats (fleas were the problem, not ticks) after 2 years. I'm in Central New York. Revolution is working much better.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Frontline doesn't work!

I found out a little too late, my German Shepherd got Lymes Disease from a tick bite last year.

When I brought him in for hip xrays because he was very lame in the hind end, and so of course with a GSD I am thinking, oh crap, his hips right? Well vet said just to be safe lets also do a tick titer (sp?) His test came back super positive for Lymes, I was in disbelief, I kept saying but he's on frontline, thats when the vet said, oh ya, that hasn't been very effective for the past few yrs. GREAT! so now I have a 2 year old GSD suffering from a horrible case of Lymes.

We now have the dogs on K-9 Advantix, don't know if it works, haven't seen any fleas or ticks....but the damage is already done. Carbon now lives on Previcoxx and Adequan. He does have hip dysplasia, but the vet said that it was the Lymes that worsened the condition and will continue to make him get worse at a faster rate. My poor boy =(

My small animal vet recommends K-9 Advantix over Frontline, although they sell both. She thinks it has more repellant qualities. I use the Advantix and we're pretty happy with it. My dogs are out with me several times a day and ( hoping I don't jinxit!) I haven't found a tick on either of them. It is still cool and thegrass is short, but still!

I had a major resistance issue here at my place with Frontline last Fall. We had a huge flea infestation despite using it as we had for years. My vets said they knew of others with a similar issue despite assurances from the company that there was no proven resistance. I switched to Comfortus for the dogs and Advantage for the cats, used the premise spray, and no more fleas! We thankfully don't have a huge tick problem with our dogs and cats here (fire ants eat the ticks) so I have not found a tick on them yet this season.

Interestingly back in 2006, we had a dog nearly die of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever but that was before the fire ants moved in....and we were using Frontline then. Fire Ants are not good for much but they do seem to really keep down the tick population.

Quote Originally Posted by gammillgirl View Post
    Frontline doesn't work!

I found out a little too late, my German Shepherd got Lymes Disease from a tick bite last year.

When I brought him in for hip xrays because he was very lame in the hind end, and so of course with a GSD I am thinking, oh crap, his hips right? Well vet said just to be safe lets also do a tick titer (sp?) His test came back super positive for Lymes, I was in disbelief, I kept saying but he's on frontline, thats when the vet said, oh ya, that hasn't been very effective for the past few yrs. GREAT! so now I have a 2 year old GSD suffering from a horrible case of Lymes.

We now have the dogs on K-9 Advantix, don't know if it works, haven't seen any fleas or ticks....but the damage is already done. Carbon now lives on Previcoxx and Adequan. He does have hip dysplasia, but the vet said that it was the Lymes that worsened the condition and will continue to make him get worse at a faster rate. My poor boy =(
    I don't think any of them work 100% do they? My best friend and her dog that was on Advantix got Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever two years ago. They were both very, very sick.

I've always used Frontline Plus and my vet, who we just saw a month ago, said to keep on using it.

Quote Originally Posted by redhorse7 View Post
    I don't know about Frontline b/c we use Revolution, but this year we're still fighting ticks on the face and ears even with regular application. No fleas, just the ticks and they're sticking! But judging by the number we're finding on the faces, they are really, really bad this year....

We have been using Revolution successfully for some years, but this year our vet told us it is not working as well any more and, since we don't have cats, to try that one a month pill Sentinel and a Preventic collar.
    Seems to be working fine, as little dog has been around mice, rat and rabbit dens as we cleared some old lumber out and still doesn't has any fleas or ticks on her.

I would go with what your local vet is seeing working in your area.

We gave up on frontline about 10 years ago, then went to advantage which worked for a several years, it would last almost 2 months for a long time. We have been using K-9 Advantix for the last 4 years, we don't do it every month, we do it as needed.

Front Line worked really well here until last year and then fleas almost ate up everyone's dog. Vet switched us to Advantage and it works fast and well. Front line still works on the ticks around here, just not fleas.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Guess I am the only one that has my dogs on Comfortis now for fleas and ticks?

I did read somewhere that some of the topic stuff is not working any longer, but I can't remember where I read it.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

We use Revolution: Fleas, Ticks, and Heartworms.

I haven't "heard" it, I know it personally to be true. Frontline stopped being effective in Massachusetts about four years ago. I gave up and switched over to tick collars that I replace every eight weeks. Hopefully the ticks won't become immune to the collars until my nine-year-old dog is dead and gone.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    I haven't "heard" it, I know it personally to be true. Frontline stopped being effective in Massachusetts about four years ago. I gave up and switched over to tick collars that I replace every eight weeks. Hopefully the ticks won't become immune to the collars until my nine-year-old dog is dead and gone.

Been working fine for me in MA.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Frontline seems to be working fine for fleas on my farm dogs here in Va. The reason I know this is because if there is ONE flea in my house, it will tear me up (and leave hubby alone). Fleas LOVE me for some reason

That said, doesn't do a thing for ticks. We found this out 2 years ago when we started finding more ticks, then one dog tested positive for the lyme antibodies. This year, we did Frontline early, but I accidentally order the wrong size Preventic collars so they went several weeks without...we found ticks all over the house and on them. As soon as I got to the vet to pick up the collars, not a tick to be found.

Now, we live on a large farm and our dogs spend alot of time running through fields and woods while we are walking, trail riding, etc. So, they have lots of exposure to ticks. But the Preventic collars so far have been the best.

I used Frontline Plus monthly for several years, and it was great. Then one month last summer, it quit working. I used Advantix for a few months, then went back to Frontline Plus again, and it worked fine. I suspect it is like wormers, and cycling helps to avoid resistance.

We haven't noticed resistence but I did ask our small animal vet about Frontline and she said that is their favorite product, and what they recommend to all their clients (in Maryland).

The rotational thing just plain makes sense though....may have to strong arm them into letting us get a different brand.

I noticed that Frontline was no longer working for my dogs about 2 years ago. Same thing with the Advantage products. My vet did say that they are starting to hear the this from their other clients as well. Last year, I switched the dogs heartworm preventitive to Sentinel, which has really helped with the fleas. My vet recommended Preventic collars for the ticks, but I have just been checking the dogs for ticks. Two of them sleep in the bed with us, and I am not crazy about the idea of the tick collars.