The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bone Chip surgery..

My horse had a chip removed from her knee in march. She's 2 month post op, all the directions were followed and shes ok'ed to begin work. I just started her this week, she's sound but her trot is different from left to right. She had the chip removed from the left knee, and she just feels a little stiffer and shorter on that side. When shes not undersaddle I don't notice a different. Do you think this normal? I don't weigh very much so I didn't think my weight was influencing her that much but it could be. She hasn't been injected I wasn't sure if I should try that, or just give it time?

Any ideas would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by amberella View Post
    My horse had a chip removed from her knee in march. She's 2 month post op, all the directions were followed and shes ok'ed to begin work. I just started her this week, she's sound but her trot is different from left to right. She had the chip removed from the left knee, and she just feels a little stiffer and shorter on that side. When shes not undersaddle I don't notice a different. Do you think this normal? I don't weigh very much so I didn't think my weight was influencing her that much but it could be. She hasn't been injected I wasn't sure if I should try that, or just give it time?

Any ideas would be helpful.
    I would try Pro Combo 4 from Swedish Horse Power before injecting. Pm me if you want more info

Ok, Thanks

I would certainly give it - 2 months is really not a huge amount of time, with the previous soreness, surgery and time off. Remember you can only injects joints so many times, so I would not jump to that. Maybe see how she goes over the summer, then start trying suppliments, then maybe adaquan and then considering injecting the joint.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Signature: please help me out.

I am getting married in July and am trying to win a new living room set to give to my bride as a wedding present (I was recently laid off so buying one if out of the question for the time being). If you could please vote for me I would appreciate it.

Please go to - http://www.lovesac.com/room_planner_contest.asp and vote for me (Iain Holmes I am right at the top).

I am leaning towards just giving her time and keeping the summer really really light. The vet said I could inject her with hyaluronic acid, but didn't think itd be really necessary. Thanks for the ideas

How much cartilage damage was there? Horses coming off of chip surgery can either bounce back like nothing happened (little to no cartilage damage) or never be sound (lots of cartilage damage.)

Inflammation in the joint is going to lead to arthritis. If that joint is still hot after surgery, you *really* want to address that, if you want the horse to ever be sound. Knees can go bad VERY quickly, and a horse can go from "a little off" to "wow, she's in so much pain we need to put her down" within a couple of months.

I would not wait and see. I would inject in order to reduce inflammation ASAP.

There is no heat, no inflammation that I can see. I was told there was very little damage to the cartilage, her bone surface looked good and she was given a good prognosis as far as soundness. She wasn't even lame prior to the surgery, as soon as the chip was found she went out of work. That's why I'm having some trouble with what should be done with her, there are no actual pain indicators for me to go by, just the fact that her trot is different.

I have a horse who just had a chip pulled out of his knee. Injecting it w/vetalog 2 weeks after surgery was *mandatory* for his future soundness.

I am a little surprised that this was not part of your horses recovery protocol.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Rereading your first post, I have to wonder--why are you blaming the knee for the stiffness? Usually I look at the horse's hind end when they're stiff. I wonder if the mare developed some compensatory hock or other hind end soreness because of the knee.

Perhaps a full lameness exam would be useful, to evaluate the knee and the hind end. If the knee shows at ALL sore, I would inject. I'd also probably use Surpass on it daily.

Believe me if it was mandatory I certainly would've had it done. I read her post op papers over with the vet while I was there, and he said she probably wouldn't need it but many people like to do it anyway. I may call this afternoon and just go over it one more time to make sure I understood correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by amberella View Post
    Believe me if it was mandatory I certainly would've had it done. I read her post op papers over with the vet while I was there, and he said she probably wouldn't need it but many people like to do it anyway. I may call this afternoon and just go over it one more time to make sure I understood correctly.
    I would call the surgeon who did the operation and ask him if he wants the horse injected. My horse was sent home w/PT orders, order to be injected w/Vetalog (specifically) and then w/order for that knee to be injected w/IA Adequan before he goes back to work and then recommended IA Adequan on a schedule (every year, hopefully).

My understanding is that the post op injection was to calm down any inflammation that was still present in the joint so as to avoid any DJD.

Who did your horses surgery?
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Definitely ask to have it injected- when my guy had his fetlock cleaned up, I was sent home with a box of adequan and a lot of bandaging materials. As soon as the stitches came out, I did the loading regimen of adequan to help the cartilage rebuild and repair itself, both from the chip damage and the surgery itself, and he had the joint injected before he came off stall rest. I also keep up on it and have it done every 6 months, to keep down inflammation and really baby that joint. He came back better than ever, and has been sound since.
    -Grace

If her stride is shorter on the left than the right then I would have a recheck possibly inject the knee with either adequan, steroid HA, or if you can afford it possibly IRAP in won't hurt and might help preserve the knee.

FWIW, the reason I said ask the surgeon is because if there are depo deposits they may want it injected only w/certain things.
    ---

She had the surgery done at OSU, I'm going to call the surgeon tomorrow (since they're closed now) and also call my trainer's vet and just have her checked out. The only reason I think it is her knee is because I only notice the difference when I post on the right diagonal, the surgery was on her left (I'm pretty sure, sometimes I get confused). Anyway, I am going to have her checked before I do anything else. Thanks

Only two months off, seems like not enough time to me. I have had multiple joint surgerys done and minimum is usually three to five months with first month stall rest and next two hand walking.
    I also start them on adequn (or ichon) right after surgery and keep them on it.

I thought it seemed pretty short also, but I recall them saying 2 months she can begin light work, or possibly even 6 weeks but I gave her the minimum 2 months. Needless to say, I'll be calling tomorrow anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    FWIW, the reason I said ask the surgeon is because if there are depo deposits they may want it injected only w/certain things.
    With or without deposits, no vet worth anything is going to use depo-medrol in a high-motion joint. Triamcinolone only for knees and fetlocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    With or without deposits, no vet worth anything is going to use depo-medrol in a high-motion joint. Triamcinolone only for knees and fetlocks.
    Or... Adequan
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Or... Adequan
    Or Legend or HyVisc or IRAP or etc. Just never Depo-Medrol