The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Adventures with my New Horse - and a shout out to Lazy D Acres! - PICS!

Well, I decided on a horse Thursday. I found her on Lazy D's website (she's a board member!), emailed Paula about her a few times and decided she was just what I wanted. She's a 9 yo (in July) spotted draft, she's 16.3, and just beautiful. She's a one-owner, did competitive driving, (which means that of course I'll have to learn how to drive now!) and had been trail ridden and is very quiet and broke.

The only snafu was when I learned that she was at Paula's farm in PA, not MA, but Paula's partner was kind enough to agree to meet us part way just over the line into PA from NY to do the pickup. Hubby and I took the day off Friday to go get her. We met John in the visitor's lot off 84. When he pulled in, I said "there's the big girl" and she nickered at me. Opened the back of the trailer and off she came. She calmly walked around the parking lot for a few minutes while I checked her out. I let her pick grass, and then after agreeing with hubby how thrilled we were with her, loaded her on my trailer. We were afraid we'd need a bucket of Crisco to get her on , but she fit just fine. The drive home was uneventful.

Got home and put her in my riding ring to let her meet everyone. Abe was prancing around like the stud that he is and Ted spent the whole time playing cutting horse keeping Fessy away from the intruder. I went in the ring with her after a while and gave her a scratch. When I got to her withers, she reached down and started nibbling on my pants. She was being so calm that I decided after a couple of hours to try her out in the pasture. Abe pranced around her again and Ted kept her from Fessy, and she just walked around. She decided to go exploring and started walking back toward the barn. Sniffed around there and then continued up the other side of the pasture toward the pond, with her new BFF Abe following close behind. The trouble started when she spotted the llamas. They were in the big run in shed that's near the pond. She didn't really react, but for putting her head and ears up as high as they could go, so when she decided she wanted to go explore the woods behind the shed, I didn't think anything of it. That is until she started trotting through the woods along the fence line and found a spot where the stock fence was downed by a tree this winter and she hopped right over.

It all went downhill from there. Hubby's yelling at me for putting her out too soon - she doesn't even know us yet, etc. etc. Of course he was completely right and I was totally humiliated. Anyway, that big girl led us on a trip through the woods where in spots we have no idea how she got through. Through thick pricker bushes, deep bogs, low hanging branches, downed trees, you name it, she went through it. She never really was running at any point, she was just getting away from us.

I thought for sure she'd stop once she got to the gorgeous hay fields belonging to my neighbor with lush grass up to her knees, but she ducked back into the woods and kept going. Oh, and I forgot to mention that the five pound Pom, new bull terrier puppy and Rupert the Saint Bernard were all following dutifully behind us. Funniest thing you'll ever see is a tiny Pom leaping through tall grass - he looked like a porpoise coming up for air!

This went on for almost two miles. Now remember, we had just driven four hundred miles round trip and were tired to begin with, and hubby is royally pissed! I got flashbacks to the time when I told a friend that I had lost Jack and she asked "you mean he ran away and you can't find him?" and I thought how ridiculously stupid that sounded. How do you lose a horse? Well, I was beginning to learn. We were getting real close to giving up when I hear hubby up ahead say "I see her!" She had stopped to pee and Kevin slowly walked up to her and grabbed her halter. She didn't even flinch, she just stood there for him, like, "Okay, that was fun, but I'm tired."

So she calmly walked home with us. I offered to have hubby hop on her and I'd lead them home and he promptly asked me if I was "effing nuts". Got her home, put her in the ring and that was the end of our great adventure. Phew!

But of course, you just knew it didn't end there. About 4:00 the next morning, I heard the ominous sound of "clip clop, clip clop". I jumped out of bed, ran outside to find a huge head looking back at me through the (open) barn doors. Apparently, she wasn't used to the half door and with her massive weight broke the sliding latch when she stuck her head out over the door and freed herself. Thankfully, she didn't even leave the barn - and I'm like "Really? Why couldn't you have had this frame of mind yesterday and stuck around?" Anyway, she politely walked back into her stall and I tied up the door with a lead rope and went back to bed. I didn't fall asleep of course because I was listening the whole time to hear her trying to get out again. I finally got up at 7 and found her standing quite contentedly in her stall waiting for her breakfast.

Lucky for me, we had no adventures yesterday, and hubby and son spent the day repairing the fence.

So without further ado, introducing "Dixie's Belle", aka Dixie.

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/28339...91844896fjicAz
    http://pets.webshots.com/photo/24181...91844896tHuLBa

We plan on having our first ride this afternoon. Wish us luck and jingle for no more adventures!
    Last edited by Fessy's Mom; May. 12, 2009 at 08:30 AM.
    RIP Full Metal Jacket "Jack" 1998 -2/27/09
    RIP Salisbury Hill "Ted" 1979-4/2/10
    "God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of" -Springsteen

Awww she's beautiful!! Congradulations and many happy trails.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

She's lovely and looks so sweet! Congrats!

Congratulations!!! What a sweet face and eye!

I love reading your stories and adventures. I could just picture you, your hubby and the dogs following Dixie through the woods.

Let us know how your first ride goes.

I knew it, I knew it, I knew it. Sooo glad you got her and, obviously, she's quite the character.

What a great Mother's Day present
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Yay! All my old friends came out to see what I've been up to! She's quite a departure from the crazy OTTB's I've been used to, huh?

If we ever make it to a show, hubby already has a name picked out for her......you ready?......"BRICK HOUSE". He sings that stupid song whenever he's with her.

And no, I would never call her that. I actually like her registered name. I already totally love her and can't wait to start working with her.

Awww, she's really cute! It also sounds like she has quite a personality. I hope the ride today goes well for you!
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Did you ride this weekend? I had to smile when your hubby was telling me about her adventures, he was so descriptive, I could just see it all happening as if I was there. I can't believe she took ya on that adventure, she never tried any of that here, but your Hubby and I were discussing if maybe she was wondering where the rest of her barnmates were.

Glad you are happy with her, she is a total sweetheart!

LOL, great story from the 2 mile hike to the mixed pack helping in the search to the busted stall latch. She is adorable!!

OMG, she's adorable! I love lazydacres' ponies, but she's not quite a pony is she? LOL!

Hey Paula! I did ride her yesterday in the arena and she was easy as pie. From standing still while being groomed (unheard of with my crew ) to standing still for mounting. Oh, and she did reach around for her treat like you told my hubby she would do once I got on, but I didn't have one with me - I forgot! She's such a good girl. and thanks for selling me a horse totally as advertised!

Just a little bump for Dixie and Lazy D!

And some pics under saddle.

http://image74.webshots.com/174/0/6/...6hOxdgB_ph.jpg
    http://pets.webshots.com/photo/21209...91844896fjDZfc
    http://pets.webshots.com/photo/27901...91844896VYhivI

She makes me happy (in case you coulnd't tell)!

She sure looks happy to me! Thanks for sharing the pictures, and for the updates.

Hee,hee. You look like a little kid on a pony, since there isn't anything around you to help relate to size.

Oooh, I loff her.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

She's adorable!

What an adventure she took you on! Silly girl. She is so cute, although I must admit that I would be singing that song too. Have fun with her!

Thanks guys! I LOFF her too!

Jetsmom - Believe me, I FEEL like a kid on a pony when I'm on her! When I put her out with the herd, I'll have to get a pic of her next to the others and you'll be able to see how much she dwarfs them.

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I'm having a hard time getting her to canter. But from what I've learned about driving horses, they don't do a whole lot of cantering, so I guess we'll have to wait until I can get her out in the field to "encourage" her to go! Her walk and trot are lovely and forward though. So far so good!

Yeah, she hasn't cantered a lot. It is a very smooth canter when she does it, though!

I told John, I was nervous when you and Kevin saw how big she was, you were going to load her back on the trailer and send her back to me! I can't wait to see pics of her with the others, I bet she does dwarf them.

Holy Cow, I had no idea Haffieheart/LazyD/Paula was on Coth!
    Hi Haffie!

Fessy, huge congrats and you can never go wrong with a Lazy D horse/pony. You picked a cutie too.

Whoa, she's a big momma! You look like a kid on her Fessy, LOL!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte