The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Please tell me that their heads just grow first!

I just had to order a '1200-1600lb/2YO draft' sized halter for our WB gelding - who isn't even quite 2 years old yet! yikes!

Please tell me that their heads just grow early then slow down, so that I'll be able to find halters/bridles that fit him still when he's done growing.

This is a baby that we're keeping for my husband, and he wanted a big guy - I think he's going to get it. ha ha.
    Blacktree Farm
    Lessons, training & sporthorse sales. Proud supporter of our buckskin German Warmblood stallion, Yeager GF.
    Blacktree Studio
    Graphic Design, Web Design & Photography.

they grow in very akward stages... very very akward.....
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Mine did - my ID was wearing a horse halter as a yearling and was in oversize as a 2 y/o. I haven't changed the settings on it since he was 2, and he is 4 now. The rest of him has grown a TON, though.

Well considering at the beginning of this year, I was walking around calling my 3yo warmblood filly "Big Head", I would say yes!

The rest of her has matured nicely to match her "big head"!

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Not only first, and fastest, but unevenly. My friend had a Saddlebred mare with an absolutely perfectly symmetrical blaze -- until she was two and it was lopsided for six months! Then it straightened back out again permanently. I never would have thought that ONE SIDE of her head would grow faster than the other.

I'm glad I knew about the Saddlebred mare though -- my 2009 filly (13 weeks old today! 1/4 year!) had a MUZZLE growth spurt. Yes, for a week or two she looked like a platypus. I'm happy to say the rest of her head caught up, but that was a shocker. Her sire has a plump, kissable muzzle (and yes, he is that friendly and calm as a stallion) so I had said I hoped my filly would have that characteristic too -- but I didn't mean a big disproportionate bulb muzzle, LOL!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Yes, he looks a little like a German Shepard Puppy now - big head, big ears, joints and feet, all of which are connected together w/ a TB body/neck/legs. It's pretty funny! Luckily he still looks pretty cute when he's moving though:

http://warmblood-color.com/images/Fo...yrs/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    Not only first, and fastest, but unevenly. My friend had a Saddlebred mare with an absolutely perfectly symmetrical blaze -- until she was two and it was lopsided for six months! Then it straightened back out again permanently. I never would have thought that ONE SIDE of her head would grow faster than the other.
    YIKES! I had no idea anything like that could happen - that's crazy!!
    Blacktree Farm
    Lessons, training & sporthorse sales. Proud supporter of our buckskin German Warmblood stallion, Yeager GF.
    Blacktree Studio

I'm so glad you brought up this topic. I have a 10 month old filly. As a weanling, say birth to 5 months, she had a teeny, tiny head. She was short from the eyes to the muzzle. Now, at 10 months I looked at her the other day and thought, OMG, she has a head like her 3 year old sister. I'm seriously choosing to believe that her head is going to end up the same as when she was a baby. Her sister actually fits her longer type head, we think she will mature over 16.3. I'm hoping this filly finishes at 16.2 otherwise I'll look like a little kid on her.

WC, he is beautiful!

My appendix filly had a GIGANTIC head from about 2.5 to 3.5 years. She finally grew into it when she was 4, and finished at 16.1. Thank goodness her legs and body finally caught up, she looked pretty goofy for awhile!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Oh, you haven't seen my description of many yearlings and/or two years olds? Somewhere in that age group, they seem to turn into OIL DEREKS - head as big as the body, and a toothpick neck holding the two pieces together as they bob up and down looking for food Then one day, you look outside, and think, WOW, my youngster looks like a horse today, whew! There is a reason many breeders don't post a lot of pics of their two year olds
    www.MysticOakRanch.com Friesian/Warmblood Crosses, the Ultimate Sporthorse
    Director, WTF Registry

I have had the opposite reaction from my guy. He wore a yearling halter until last year (age 3). He still wears a cob at 4 and buying bridles has been a nightmare b/c while it's small in length he's got the wide QH forehead that makes browbands impossible. It weird b/c he's not from halter-type babydoll head stock. He's primarily foundation bred, usually pretty average plain headed types. He looks at bit odd if he's got his head cocked a certain way, he's 15.2 but is massively wide, little head and needs an 80" blanket. Sometimes I miss the TB's!! So easy to fit stuff to!
    Zippos Kryptonite (Reno) 05' AQHA
    Little Miss Understood (Indy) 01' Appaloosa
    The Unturned Stone (Chase) 11' AQHA
    ~ Rescue Mom to: Hope, Ciara, Charlotte, Ace, Knox

Quote Originally Posted by FriesianX View Post
    Oh, you haven't seen my description of many yearlings and/or two years olds? Somewhere in that age group, they seem to turn into OIL DEREKS - head as big as the body, and a toothpick neck holding the two pieces together as they bob up and down looking for food Then one day, you look outside, and think, WOW, my youngster looks like a horse today, whew! There is a reason many breeders don't post a lot of pics of their two year olds
    Yes, he went through the toothpick-neck phase, too. Thank goodness that seems to have passed for now!
    Blacktree Farm
    Blacktree Studio

My vet told me (not sure if he was just pacifying me?) That their yearling heads have to grow first to accommodate all the new teeth coming in. Anyway, it makes me feel better to use this excuse

FriesianX - you are so right! The turn from Yaks to Oil Dereks!

Default akward qh's

I agree with you city ponies. I have a foundation QH who is 15.1 hands and just as wide as he is big. He is hard to fit saddles too and he wears a 52" girth and an 80 blanket. both of my 16.2 hand Appendixs wear 52 also and 80 blanket.

Not only the toothpick neck stage but the "Where DID you neck go???" Stage!

Somehow they seem to go from long and elegant to their ears coming out of their withers and back again.
    Proud scar wearing member of the Bold, Banned and Bitchen clique

Talking

One of my horses head grew first and I seem to recall looking at him and thinking gee's how did you get so ulgy when you were sooo cute at 2?

Now I can say that his head fits the rest of his body and he is just as cute as when he was 2!

We were just discussing this about our 2 yr old colt today. His neck and head are huge so I imagine he has a lot of growing still to do.

Quote Originally Posted by railmom View Post
    My vet told me (not sure if he was just pacifying me?) That their yearling heads have to grow first to accommodate all the new teeth coming in. Anyway, it makes me feel better to use this excuse
    That totally makes sense - very interesting!
    Blacktree Farm
    Blacktree Studio

My adorable CindyLou ( anyone who followed the MATTIE thread about my blind mare, pregnant with cancer) went from this cute little pony type to this no neck big head little girl. Thankfully the neck has now found its way back onto her chest area, and the head somehow got shorter. Looking like a cute large pony prospect 10 month old now. WHEW..........i hate when they do that.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Man, I guess I ended up lucky with both of my youngsters. While they have gone thru the no-neck phase off and on, they have both been pretty balanced overall. The 3-yo is full Arab, but the yearling filly is half Lusitano. Lusos and Andies are pretty well known for their ugly phases.

Quote Originally Posted by dilligaff2 View Post
    Not only the toothpick neck stage but the "Where DID you neck go???" Stage!
    The where is your neck stage is where our yearling paint is right now. It quite literally disappeared over night, and her markings don't help flatter it either! http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...t=IMG_8851.jpg Once upon a time, she had a neck.....sighs.

Here is the big headed guy I was talking about....(I don't have yearling photos on-line of him for a reason
    http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...urhamconfo.jpg Before - I think he was 2.5 or 3 y/o in this one

http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...t=IMG_9732.jpg as a 4 year old - he finally just had a growth spurt too.