The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Video of Curlin's Full Brother

This was on Bloodhorse this morning-

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...led-with-video

Anyone know why the foal is on a nurse mare? I looked for info on the dam, Sheriff's Deputy, but didn't see any news about her.

How cute is that and look at those legs!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cammie View Post
    This was on Bloodhorse this morning-

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...led-with-video

Anyone know why the foal is on a nurse mare? I looked for info on the dam, Sheriff's Deputy, but didn't see any news about her.
    I do NOT know ... but I can make a possible speculation ... some farms prefer to put the foal on a nurse mare if they are sending the dam a long ways to be re-bred. Remember, TBs require live cover & mares are shipped all over the world to meet their appropriate intendeds.

I believe his dam has a bad front leg, and it might just be too much.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Evalee Hunter View Post
    some farms prefer to put the foal on a nurse mare if they are sending the dam a long ways to be re-bred. Remember, TBs require live cover & mares are shipped all over the world to meet their appropriate intendeds.
    I have wondered about this before. If a mare lives in Florida (for example) and she has a foal and they want to breed her to a Kentucky stallion, would they ship the foal with the mare to Kentucky? Or would the foal stay behind? If the foal stays behind and is put with a nurse mare, does it stay with the nurse mare until it is weaned?

Yes, the foal almost always goes with the mare. Keep in mind that putting a foal on a nurse mare is dangerous itself. I used to book mares for a large farm in Lexington (14 stallions) and we would have people bring mares from all over the country. Most would bring the mare and foal in and we would help arrange for them to drop the foal off at another farm and rest the mare before the return trip. I have never heard of anyone putting a foal on a nurse mare just so it doesn't have to make the trip. IMO it would be a silly thing to do, unless there are other circumstances involved, such as an injury, as DLee suggested.

And, yes, once a foal is put on a nursemare, it will stay there until weaned, as the birth mare's milk will dry up.

Quote Originally Posted by Las Olas View Post
    . . . . I have never heard of anyone putting a foal on a nurse mare just so it doesn't have to make the trip. . . .
    Well, I have personally seen/known of foals put on nurse mares so as not to travel with the dam who is going to be re-bred. It may be unusual or rare but I have known of a couple of cases. While putting a foal on a nursemare certainly has potential dangers, so does a foal traveling & being exposed to potential illnesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Evalee Hunter View Post
    Well, I have personally seen/known of foals put on nurse mares so as not to travel with the dam who is going to be re-bred. It may be unusual or rare but I have known of a couple of cases. While putting a foal on a nursemare certainly has potential dangers, so does a foal traveling & being exposed to potential illnesses.
    Well, I'm not sure where you saw this, you said at 'some farms' but now you are saying 'it may be unusual or rare', but it certainly isn't a smart thing to do. Especially considering that there shouldn't be a problem with exposure to the foals, as they are under colostral immunity (assuming correct vaccination protocol in the mare) at that point. You would be exposing the dams. So, where did the nurse mares come from? Are you saying that the farms that do this keep their own nurse mares, which one would assume live in the same fields as the birth mares? Otherwise, wouldn't the danger from exposure to the nurse mares be just as great as trailering? To me, that doesn't make sense.

It's actually the norm at some farms to put all foals on a nurse mare especially out of the valuable mares. A farm with probably the best broodmare band in KY take everything right off the mare at birth and onto a nurse mare. I always found it sad.

Quote Originally Posted by keepthelegend View Post
    It's actually the norm at some farms to put all foals on a nurse mare especially out of the valuable mares. A farm with probably the best broodmare band in KY take everything right off the mare at birth and onto a nurse mare. I always found it sad.
    Thank you, keepthelegend. Glad someone can corroborate my experience. There are all kinds of ways of doing things in the horse world.
    Last edited by Evalee Hunter; May. 9, 2009 at 03:22 PM. Reason: to correct spelling of word "corroborate".

And do you care to name such farms? I've worked for Claiborne, Denali, etc. Dated the stallion manager at Airdrie, is friends with the managers at Gainesway, Hill N Dale, Lane's End, Stonewall, Crestwood, Brookdale, Juddmonte, Stonestreet, Darley/Shadwell, etc. and a long time member of the KTFMC. None of them would THINK of doing such a thing unless the mare's health is in question. So, please, enlighten me as to which farms practice this and which valuble mares you are speaking of. I'd love to know! Thx!
    Last edited by Las Olas; May. 9, 2009 at 06:28 PM.

So if these farms are using nurse mares, are they still getting rid of the nurse mare foals? I didn't think that was happening as much anymore.

I have heard, but can not verify from personal experience that the dam of the foal is quite compromised leg wise, and can not go out with a band of broodmares so her foals go to a nurse mare so they (the foals) can go out with the group and grow up normally with other foals.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamma70 View Post
    So if these farms are using nurse mares, are they still getting rid of the nurse mare foals? I didn't think that was happening as much anymore.
    You're right, it's not. I'm not sure what farms Evalee Hunter and Keepthelegend are referring too, as they haven't posted back yet, but in my experience, nurse mares are rarely used and usually only if the is a health issue with the mare and/or foal. For instance, some farms will use a nurse mare in place of an older mare that really loses condition after foaling, a laminitic mare, if a mare dies, doesn't produce enough milk, colics, etc. I only know of two active nurse mare suppliers in the Lexington area anymore, although there may be a few smaller ones. When I was at Claiborne, I believe we had roughly 280 mares and I don't recall ever having more than 5 or 6 nurse mares in a year. At denali, we would have years where we wouldn't use any.

Quote Originally Posted by Las Olas View Post
    And do you care to name such farms? I've worked for Claiborne, Denali, etc. Dated the stallion manager at Airdrie, is friends with the managers at Gainesway, Hill N Dale, Lane's End, Stonewall, Crestwood, Brookdale, Juddmonte, Stonestreet, Darley/Shadwell, etc. and a long time member of the KTFMC. None of them would THINK of doing such an idiotic thing unless the mare's health is in question. So, please, enlighten me as to which farms practice this and which valuble mares you are speaking of. I'd love to know! Thx!
    I'm with Las Olas--well actually I don't have her extensive dating experience but I'm pretty well acquainted with most of the big farms in Kentucky and I've never heard of any that "take everything right off the mare at birth and onto a nurse mare."

Keepthelegend, I would also be curious to hear which farm considers that to be their normal practise.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieB View Post
    I'm with Las Olas--well actually I don't have her extensive dating experience but I'm pretty well acquainted with most of the big farms in Kentucky and I've never heard of any that "take everything right off the mare at birth and onto a nurse mare."

Keepthelegend, I would also be curious to hear which farm considers that to be their normal practise.
    What!? Of course you do, you and Mr. B met every one of my dates. Who else was going to keep me from the riff raff and save me from myself

Practise = Practice??? You know I had to point that one out. LOL!

If you look closely at Sheriffs Deputy in the video her left front looks very awful and she seems to have a hard time moving around.

Creekview Farm, a division of Ashford with an outstanding broodmare band (Sky Beauty, Mariah's Storm, Sacahuista, Trolley Song, Circle of Life, etc)takes just about everything off the mare right after birth and onto a nurse mare. Overbrook also uses draft horse mares quite a bit.

Creekview Farm, a division of Ashford with an outstanding broodmare band (Sky Beauty, Mariah's Storm, Sacahuista, Trolley Song, Circle of Life, etc)takes just about everything off the mare right after birth and onto a nurse mare. Overbrook also uses draft horse mares quite a bit.
    Interesting, but the broodmare band you mentioned doesn't exist (?). Sky Beauty is dead, Mariah's Storm is in Ireland, Trolley Song is in her mid 20's if she's still alive, and Sacahuista is in her mid 20s. So, yes, the old mares would obviously have nurse mares, as I mentioned above. Circle of Life is in her late teens, but I thought she had some foot trouble up front, which would explain the nurse mare. Also, I have been to Coolmore's Lyonstown Stud in Ireland several times and have not seen foals pulled off and put on nurse mares. I wonder if they pulled Rags To Riches' foal off of her and put it on a nurse mare? Regardless, I can assure you, this is not common practice anywhere in Kentucky. It's generally only used with high risk mares (like the ones you named, that aren't dead).
    Last edited by Las Olas; May. 10, 2009 at 02:54 PM. Reason: RTR ?

I can assure you all those mares were there in 2001 when I spent quite a bit of time at the farm and I was only throwing a few names out there as examples anyway. It was not just those mares using nurse mares either.