The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default BO's - What is your barn policy re:notice/board on "Sales Horses"?

what is your barn policy for 30 day notices and/or unused board if a sales horse sells in the middle (or anytime) of the month?

do boarders have to pay an additional month from the date the horse leaves (ie give 30 day notice) or is there an implicit running 30 day notice because the horse is for sale (assuming BO was told) ?

Also, do you give any credit for unused board if say , horse sells right at the beginning of the month?

(edited for clarity)
    Last edited by mbm; May. 9, 2009 at 04:43 PM.

After the first month, I will go to an every other
    week payment. The months notice is implied if
    I know the horse is for sale.

Dot

that makes sense!

anyone else?

Having been a boarder with a horse(s) for sale in the past - Once I informed the barn owner the horse was on the market it worked like notice. I never got a refund for board paid but I was never required to pay for the rest of the month to make it 30 day notice.

so if you had a horse for sale and it sold say on the 2nd and you had already paid board you would not receive any credit back for the unused 28 days?

I do like the idea of paying every 2 weeks instead on the normal monthly - that way the person with the sales horse wont be out a huge amount if the horse sells at the beginning of the month.....

and how does not giving notice because the horse sold help the barn owner fill that stall?
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    so if you had a horse for sale and it sold say on the 2nd and you had already paid board you would not receive any credit back for the unused 28 days?
    Yes, I suppose so.

I never worried about it.

Quote Originally Posted by lizathenag View Post
    and how does not giving notice because the horse sold help the barn owner fill that stall?
    i think the idea of a "sales horse" (and representing them as such to BO) is that they are for sale and the BO would recognize they are there temporarily?

it doenst help the BO fill the stall, altho having a sales horse in a stall is helping the BO bring in income for the time they are there?

i am trying to look at this from both POVs

sounds like it should be a discussion with the barn manager. . .
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Communication is the key. When you notify the BO that your horse is for sale that is the time to discuss what happens if the horse sells in the middle of the month. That is the time to ask what are you obligations per the board agreement. Make sure everyone is on the same page and things will go smoother and there will be no hard feelings. Good luck.

I think the purpose of the post was to ascertain if there is any kind of typical way of handling it at boarding barns. I've never seen a policy about such a thing in my board contracts.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

What do you think about offering owners of sale horses to pay either monthly payments or daily ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    I think the purpose of the post was to ascertain if there is any kind of typical way of handling it at boarding barns. I've never seen a policy about such a thing in my board contracts.
    exactly

looking at it from an owner POV a month of board just might be the "profit" that that owner might see

looking at it from a BOs POV; If they have a waiting list no foul , if they dont then, they are out the profit for 30 days.....

and actually the more i think about it..... speaking strictly for places with more than a few horses.... why do BOs require 30 day notices?

it seems that if a boarder pays their board and tehn leaves, the BO will SAVE money as the horse will not be there eating hay, using bedding, creating compost, etc etc.

and since the BO has plently of other horses it wouldn't be a case of supplies ordered and not being used......

and for some barns, a horse being gone would be that much less loss for a BO

huh.

and actually the more i think about it..... speaking strictly for places with more than a few horses.... why do BOs require 30 day notices?

it seems that if a boarder pays their board and tehn leaves, the BO will SAVE money as the horse will not be there eating hay, using bedding, creating compost, etc etc.

and since the BO has plently of other horses it wouldn't be a case of supplies ordered and not being used......

and for some barns, a horse being gone would be that much less loss for a BO

huh.
    You require 30 day notice so you can try to fill the stall immediately. Boarding barns are "businesses" and you want to keep occupancy as high as you can and not have an empty stall. There isn't much profit margin in boarding, there is still the rent or mortgage to pay, insurance to pay, utilities to pay....an empty stall doesn't bring in any profit so you want the stall filled ASAP.

Examples: Sally tells me she is giving 30 day notice. I have a waiting list, I call person/s on waiting list to tell them I will have an opening at the end of the month. If someone on the waiting list does want to move in, they have to give 30 days notice at their barn, this way I have a move out and a move in at the same time so I can keep money coming in without a break.

If there is no waiting list, or no one on the waiting list takes the stall (situations may have changed, they may have found other alternatives)...then I have a little time to advertise the stall as open - local publications, newspapers, flyers in feed and tack stores, etc.

This usually results in the stall being empty for a bit as it takes time for the ads to be published (say, middle of the month or beginning of the following month) and then for the new boarder wanting to move in having to give 30 days notice to their barn....well this process can result in an empty stall for a month or two.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

i think the idea of a "sales horse" (and representing them as such to BO) is that they are for sale and the BO would recognize they are there temporarily?
    In this market, it can take roughly this side of forever to sell a horse. Once notice in the space of say, six or eight months, isn't sufficient to get you a refund on your "unused" board.

it doenst help the BO fill the stall, altho having a sales horse in a stall is helping the BO bring in income for the time they are there?
    That may very well be, but for the months that the BO knows the horse will be there, the BO has to plan and buy all supplies in advance. So, using your scenario of the horse selling on the second of any given month, the BO has already purchased hay, grain and bedding with the intent of supplying that horse. So, that money's already been spent, and the BO has nothing left to give back to you. In addition, the stall is empty and probably won't be filled before the first of the next month, so that's more lost income.

i am trying to look at this from both POVs
    Quite considerate of you to do that. Most folks just piss and moan about how the big bad BO is ripping them off.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

In my contract I require 30 days notice in writing. None of this "well you knew he was for sale" blahblahblah. Yeah, it can take MONTHS to sell a horse. And if you give me 30 days notice, odds are you will have to leave at the end of those 30 days whether horsie is sold or not. Someone else is likely moving in.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

so if someone has a horse for sale you require them to give you a 30 day notice each month? what if the horse doesn't sell what is the boarder to do?

would you be open to payments 2/month instead of monthly?

sorry another question
    : would BOs rather NOT have the horse in their barn rather than be flexible on notice?

seems kinda like cutting off youtr nose to spite your face ?

also, what about a bo just asking for the PROFIT from said horse instead of the entire board (you could call it something like a buy out or whatever) i am speaking only of large barns (over say 20 horses) where supplies tend to be ordered a few times a year etc.

i understand if it is a small operation (like i have been) that each horse is very very important....

also, what about if the stall can be filled right away?

or, also what if the owner has other horses at the barn and might bring in another sales horse? would that matter?

point is, if you give me 30 days notice, you have to move out at the end of the 30 days. So the horse seller could not give me notice every month. They'd be gone after the first month. I have someone else looking to move in. If the horse doesn't sell that is the horse owners problem.

I wouldn't be open to payments 2 times per month because board is due on the first of the month, for the month... and thats that.

It is not up to barn owners to change the way they do business and make various exceptions to the rules or their business mode or take a income lossl in order to facilitate SalesHorseOwner not being out any unused board payment.

regarding the question about rather not have the sales horse in the barn and it seeming like cutting off your nose to spite your face, etc. Yeah, I'd rather not have the horse in the barn if the owner expects me to lose money so that they won't be paying for any unused potion of board. Yeah, I'd rather not have the sales horse in the barn if that is their take on the situation. Other people waiting to move in, etc.

If you think barns with over 20 horses are only getting supplies in a few times a year, I'm afraid you are mistaken.

If the stall can be filled right away by another client who will likely be long term? Why would I make them play the waiting game? If by the same owner then the issue is moot...

If the owner has other horses and will be bringing in another sales horse then they need to pay for the stall... if they want the stall and want to bring another horse in then it's still their stall.. they still need to pay for it.

I have clients who go away to shows or pony club camp, etc. They don't get a discount for the days they are gone. Do you get a discount off your rent or mortgage if you go on vacation?
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com