The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Old People Riding Club

Anyone out there participate? Thinking of starting a chapter in my area - but wanted to see what others thought that had actually participated in a group.

I belonged to the Charlie Horse Chapter in this area for a couple of years. I really enjoyed it. It was a very active chapter - some educational, challenging presentation at every meeting ... sidesaddle riding (everyone who wanted to got a chance to ride), driving (same - everyone who wanted to got a chance to drive), massage demos, thermal camera demos, braiding, training (long-lining, for example), feed & nutrition lectures, trail rides, ratings, games rally (very low key & friendly) just something for everyone to make the meetings interesting.

Unfortunately, I thoroughly offended the woman who sent out email notices as to when & where the meetings were & she would no longer communicate with me so I didn't know where to go. Yup, she won, I gave up. I have run into the woman who is now president at a tack shop & she urged me to return as the woman I offended is less involved & the current president is a friend (or at least an acquaintance) of many, many years, but I haven't gotten back to it. Oh, the drama!!

We are struggling to establish & grow a horse business so I am very busy with that & I also found that I take horses terribly seriously whereas all the other women regarded horses as pets & pleasure. (I have been overly serious about everything all my life - just my take on things.) Anyway, the difference in approach to horses was definitely an obstacle.

I really enjoy Old Peoples Riding Club. Do start one.

And Evalee, you should come back. Lots of new members and we're still doing fun things.

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    I love it! I definitely qualify in the age department. We need this in the U.S., especially since on the Dressage Board they refer to ODG (Old Dead Guys or Old Dressage Gods, depending on who you ask). This should be posted for the dressage people.

I've been a member for eight years now. We started with seven people, grew to around 50, and have now shrunk to about 25. Next meeting is at my house where Murphy will demonstrate proper lunging techniques (if he behaves ). Each chapter is different based on it's membership and what they put into it. At 41, I'm one of the youngest members in the chapter. We have a few ladies at 65+.

We have a great group of people - english (dressage, jumpers, eventing), western (show, pleasure), trail riders, reriders, raw beginners, driving (several of us are now trying this). Each member respects the others and we all like to try new things. We've had western riders trying dressage, jumpers on the western trail course, all riders on the "cross country" course (starting with poles on the ground), trail rides. Every year we go Christmas caroling on horseback and we also ride around to the various vineyards in the fall. A few have even put hitching racks in for us! Our group tends to be fairly laid back and fun rather than competitive.

Do start a chapter! Feel free to email me with any questions. Check out our photo album. That's Murphy heading up the Christmas folder.

http://oldpeoplesridingclub.org/gall...77dcd4606a84bc
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

Is anyone here in Equestrians Of Fine Vintage, a south central PA chapter of OPRC? I contacted them once, quite a while back, but had some things happen and didn't follow through. I think it'd be quite a drive north for me to participate in a lot of their activities, but I don't believe there is one any closer to me.

Are there any chapters in north western/north central MD around say Hagerstown area? Or very south central PA around Chambersburg? Or anyone from the area who would love to start up a chapter in this area? I'd love to talk to you if you are
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Life's a bleach and then you dye"
    "Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet." Roger Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy's Mom View Post
    I've been a member for eight years now. We started with seven people, grew to around 50, and have now shrunk to about 25. Next meeting is at my house where Murphy will demonstrate proper lunging techniques (if he behaves ). Each chapter is different based on it's membership and what they put into it. At 41, I'm one of the youngest members in the chapter. We have a few ladies at 65+.

We have a great group of people - english (dressage, jumpers, eventing), western (show, pleasure), trail riders, reriders, raw beginners, driving (several of us are now trying this). Each member respects the others and we all like to try new things. We've had western riders trying dressage, jumpers on the western trail course, all riders on the "cross country" course (starting with poles on the ground), trail rides. Every year we go Christmas caroling on horseback and we also ride around to the various vineyards in the fall. A few have even put hitching racks in for us! Our group tends to be fairly laid back and fun rather than competitive.

Do start a chapter! Feel free to email me with any questions. Check out our photo album. That's Murphy heading up the Christmas folder.

http://oldpeoplesridingclub.org/gall...77dcd4606a84bc
    Ooh, yet another thing to put on my list of reasons for hubby to let me move home! LOL! I was born & raised in Yakima, graduated from Davis. Several good HS friends have moved back recently and I've been feeling homesick more and more.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Life's a bleach and then you dye"
    "Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet." Roger Miller

I have belonged to the Mane Event since it started in 2003 or 2002..I forget. Great club, the membership is very diversified, including our mini drivers, who came up with the driving test for the OPRC! Last week we participated in a Ride for Life, the Equestrian Way for Cancer and raised over $5000!
    I am taking the C1 test next week..I told my C2 pony club daughter she better hurry and rate as I am going to pass her up!
    Oh, the best thing, everything we do...ratings, clinics, educational days, whatever..involves food and drinking!! (and horses!)

Quote Originally Posted by CowgirlDressage View Post
    Ooh, yet another thing to put on my list of reasons for hubby to let me move home! LOL! I was born & raised in Yakima, graduated from Davis. Several good HS friends have moved back recently and I've been feeling homesick more and more.
    We don't have much of a show scene around here, but there sure are a lot of great riding areas! I work a few blocks from Davis and live out in the Wenas Valley next to the LT Murray.

Lori T - good luck on your C1. I took (and passed) my C1 several years ago. Boy was I nervous! Poor Murphy seriously lacks talent so I won't push him to go any higher. If I ever get my warmblood going I'll test up. Our chapter likes chocolate and wine at all events!
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

My mom joined a couple of months ago and is having GREAT fun. It's so good for her to have fun, positive places to take her horse, be responsible for it, get off the farm and ride in situations where she wouldn't be comfortable otherwise... I'm so glad she's joined up!

I belonged for about 3 years. The chapter I belonged to decided to branch off and created our own club. It is alot of fun. We switched our club name to Rusty Stirrups and are still an adults only club, but do have some younger members. I would say the majority of our members are 40's or older. We have all different disciplines from dressage, hunters/jumpers, eventers, driving, western. Definitely join or start your own chapter.

While I'm over 50, I am offended by "old people's" ANYTHING. I'm a person, and don't like prejudice against me.

I wish we had one of these closer to me. It sounds like so much fun.

And no, I am not the type that is organized enough to start a club.

I'm an old A level Pony Clubber, was a hunter judge and I was reading the testing info/tasks for the Old People's Riding Club ratings...this was a big deal stopper for me.

Quote Originally Posted by nightsong View Post
    While I'm over 50, I am offended by "old people's" ANYTHING. I'm a person, and don't like prejudice against me.
    The name was thought up in jest. A few of us, all over 50 except me, were enjoying lunch after a hunter pace, watching the tiny little pony clubbers do a games exhibition. One of us said, "they are having so much fun out there, we should have an old people's pony club."

Friend and I each recruited a friend or two and there it started. The name was all in fun, never to offend anyone.
    Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

I'm an old Pony Clubber and raised my kids thru Pony Club. I'd never join an Old People's anything. Sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy. I'm not old until I say I am old. We do have a Vintage Rider's Club here which has a different ring to it. I'm not a member - done my share of bandage wrapping, stable management lectures, etc. But it is a fun group.

My own group of loose knit riders and horse people is "We Take our Fun Seriously" group.
    No rules, no memberships, just a serious interest in doing right by our horses and making tasty and interesting picnics.

The one in my area was full when I contacted them! But it was ok by me since I'd be the baby of the Old People's Riding Club since I'm just out of Pony club range. Oh well!

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    I'm an old A level Pony Clubber, was a hunter judge and I was reading the testing info/tasks for the Old People's Riding Club ratings...this was a big deal stopper for me.
    Could you enlighten me? What about the testing was a "deal stopper"?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy's Mom View Post
    We don't have much of a show scene around here, but there sure are a lot of great riding areas! I work a few blocks from Davis and live out in the Wenas Valley next to the LT Murray.

Lori T - good luck on your C1. I took (and passed) my C1 several years ago. Boy was I nervous! Poor Murphy seriously lacks talent so I won't push him to go any higher. If I ever get my warmblood going I'll test up. Our chapter likes chocolate and wine at all events!

You're out in the Wenas? Lucky lucky you! Great riding out there. Our club, BCHW chapter, Traildusters, has a ride out there every year. This year, it's over Mem. Day weekend. I was hoping your club was on the west side so I could join, but Yakima is a little too far.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert