The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dressage ponies?

What do you do with a pony who seems most suited to do dressage? He was bought to become a show hunter but cute as he is I keep envisioning him doing dressage somewhere. He basically looks and moves like a little warmblood. I am not very familiar with the dressage circuit and was wondering if anyone in the US does dressage with ponies? I'd be interested in contacting someone in the know to find out more about it.

Send him to a short dressage trainer who can market him to the right audience!
    Ponies are really catching on in US dressage. I've seen people showing them at almost all levels.
    Lendon Gray (who posts here occasionally under her own name) is one of the leading US "people in the know" when it comes to dressage ponies. You could try sending her a PM. I know of a a few trainers who show ponies in dressage (adults are allowed to show ponies, too). If you post your location, maybe someone can point you in the right direction.
    Amateur rider, professional braider.
    ----
    Save a life, adopt a pet.

There are a few people here who breed, train, and ride ponies. They are usually not in the same price range as hunter ponies How tall is your pony will be a big question. The really small ponies have fewer possible riders as there are so few little kids doing dressage.

While you are waiting for more answers, you can look at dressagedaily.com to look at the horses for sale. There are several ponies listed for sale, so you can see the age/training/price correlation.

Yes, there are many of us catching the pony dressage bug. I'm just a pion in the dressage world, so i cant say i'm any help, but i've had dressage ponies for a few years now. I can tell you that if you want to see the kind of money the hunter ponies bring in, send the pony to a big wig who's already dealing in dressage ponies. Otherwise, they will not pull much at all. Where are you located?

Dressage Ponies are catching on and there is a growing market for them. There is even a National Dressage Pony Cup - a recognized show just for ponies! I have been lucky to have a couple and they are fun, fun, fun! Find a good trainer, who will fit on your pony and help you market it. It is always easier to sell a pony when it has some good solid training preferably above 1st/2nd level, and a show record. Good LUck!

Talking

Where do you live? I'll send someone over to take him off your hands in this depressed market. A hunter that is more useful doing something else, has got to be unsaleable.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

The Centerline Show in Saugerties, NY, August 14 - 16, also has full Pony Divisions, training level through FEI.

I breed German Riding Ponies for dressage and will be campaigning/training them as well. I get quite a lot of interest from small adult amy riders looking for a dressage pony or small horse (14.3-15hh range). It is a small but growing market. It is now unusual for me not to see at least a couple ponies at the USDF shows in my area where it used to be a real anomaly.
    Whispered Wish Weser-Ems: Breeding quality German Riding Ponies!
    Standing the stallion Burberry
    www.germanridingpony.com
    www.facebook.com/HighlifesBurberry

Thanks people. I am in SC. He is ridiculously cute, good mover and quite professional. Plus those 10m circles feel huge on him .

On that note- does anyone know if Lendon has working students who start ponies? I have a particular pony I really want to see do the right things, and if that means right from the start will make a difference I want to know. It's hard enough to find anyone to start ponies right as it is!
    Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Sent you a PM, hope it's helpful!

Very helpful! I am planning waaaaayyy in advance. Just trying to find out the BEST option for starting a large honey/small horse for dressage. Like ideal world, infinite sums of $$, unlimited time, etc. What would you do?
    Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

FWIW, it seems that everyone on the pony lists is raving about Cory Gregory of Elimika Sport Ponies, a pony training operation based in Chesapeake City, MD. I'm on the west coast (or close enough) so that I have no first hand knowledge. You could google her or hop on the ponies-L list and contact those in the know.

I start and show my own with a show string consisting of those at training level through FEI. We have a couple of "new" dressage pony faces in our region but the overall number is still small. Including my regular show string of 4 (though have two 3 year olds who will be coming out in force next year) there are approximately 4 -5 other ponies that I can think of showing dressage regularly in our area (southern half of region 5). One is 4th level, the others are at 1st - 2nd level.

I ride and train dressage ponies as an Adult Amateur. My current girl is doing third, working fourth/PSG, my up and comer is training level and I'll have one on the ground and hopefully one in the oven next year. I'm also the Director of the National Dressage Pony Cup. Dressage ponies are gaining ground, but we're not 100 percent there yet.

My young babies are started by a girl out here after I've done the ground work, after 100 or more days I take over. I believe in sending them off to school.
    Kelly
    It is rare to see a rider who is truly passionate about the horse and his training, taking a profound interest in dressage with self-abnegation, and making this extraordinarily subtle work one of the dominant motivations of his life.\"

Quote Originally Posted by exvet View Post
    FWIW, it seems that everyone on the pony lists is raving about Cory Gregory of Elimika Sport Ponies, a pony training operation based in Chesapeake City, MD. I'm on the west coast (or close enough) so that I have no first hand knowledge. You could google her or hop on the ponies-L list and contact those in the know.
    I know a few people that have sent ponies to Cory and they are very pleased. I used to work for a barn that bred Sport Ponies (focusing on dressage) and they are sending a lot of their ponies to her now and are happy with her.

The Dressage Pony is getting to be hot hot. I can't keep my dressage pony bridle in stock....although most seem to go to CA.l

The Dressage Pony is getting to be hot hot. I can't keep my dressage pony bridle in stock....although most seem to go to CA.

Do you have a website? I have a 13 hand section C & a 14.3 hand section D stallion that I need to bite the bullet and find dressage bridles for. I am using old ones that are really several bridles pieced together 'cause they're a hard fit.

Ditto exvet - Cat Do you have a website? I'm in the market for two bridles for large ponies with hard to fit heads. I am using pieces as well! HELP. And PLEASE, SOMEONE come out with some pony size web reins, i am SICK of rubber reins and i cant stand laced reins!

And PLEASE, SOMEONE come out with some pony size web reins, i am SICK of rubber reins and i cant stand laced reins!

Gee and my 13 hand pony and I figured we'd just use the extra (web reins) to jump rope with in between our tests

This company offers several Pony Dressage Bridles and various parts: http://www.eqtack.com/catalog/index....y-tack-bridles I think they have a rubber reins in pony size too.

We do Dressage Ponies here too....but prefer to start and show our own. One doing 2nd/3rd, one doing Training/1st and now a third doing Training. Its turning into a regular show string. We are in CA and haven't seen too many out competing yet...not in Northern CA at least. Though I would like to add that there has been at least a 3x increase in the number of ponies competing for CDS Pony Award. Dressage is extremely popular and competitive in our region.