The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default help for TB with itchy skin?

i have a TB gelding that is super itchy all over but especially his mane/neck. this started gradually and now he will almost fall over if you scratch him... and he is scratching his neck so hard on the barn he is leaving welts on himself

He has been wormed, and i have been washing him with a special fungus shampoo and also head and shoulders shampoo - this helped a lot but still not going away completely.

I also give him oil in his diet but can increase.

he is in good weight etc.

suggestions of what i might also try?

(and please lets not make this about NTWs)

Maybe he's got a bit of sweet itch? I'd throw a fly sheet on him with a high neck and see if it helps.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    (and please lets not make this about NTWs)
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by HandsomeBayFarm View Post
    Why?
    Because that's one of the diagnoses du jour around here? Every horse in the WORLD has ulcers and NTWs, according to COTH.

That'd be my guess, anyways. OP can speak for herself.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

re: NTWs - i dont want this thread to turn into another million page thread abut NTWs - so, yes, i am aware of NTWs and the ways of treatng it etc....

i would appreacite be interested in other suggestions/ideas/commiserations etc poor guy really needs some relief!

ETA: thanks for suggestion re; fly sheet - we do have no-seem-ums here so i will put on a fly sheet and see how it goes...

So in looking for relief you treated for NTWs and it did not improve?

Or, you are certain it is something else?

Just cuious as I did everything under the sun for my guy. Came close to putting him down, then did the NTW protocol - and he was healed.

As for it being the COTH diagnosis du jour - I just think that it has been a light bulb moment for most.

And I agree that sometimes it IS just something else.

Before the NTW thread - I used a product with Tea-Tree Oil and it seemed to have the better effect of soothing the irritated spots.

Good Luck

he is itchy all over and while his mane/tail are the most itchy there isnt a spot on his body that he doenst respond to ....

.... and as i said he is on a worming protocol (and in any case i would not double dose any horse without vet approval etc)

How about allergies? We put my itchy horse on TriHist and that helped (I'd gone away for a week and came back and he had no hair left on his shoulders from rubbing.) Also oatmeal based shampoo.

Flaxseed - Ground or whole, does wonderful things for skin & coat. I've seen it cure "itchies" on many horses.
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

I have a horse with allergies. He is receiving injections to help boost his immunities to the allergens and hopefully reduce his itchiness. In the meantime, "Relief" spray and Nolvasan scrub (apply, wait a short time and rinse) have been the most successful in reducing the rubbing of his mane and tail. I also give him an Omega 3 supplement.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I've got an itchy skinned youngster, and yes, I do worm him 1Xmonth and it seems to help. After that, I try to use pyranha fly spray on turnout, I keep his mane and tail extra clean. A friend suggested Ruth Anne's shampoo and that does help, but I noted it's got tea trea oil, so if I can't find that brand when it runs out, I'll switch to it. Sometimes I spritz specific itchy spots with benedryl spray. I think I may try an occassional dose of benedryl, but he's doing the HB shows fairly frequently so the timing for w/d could be challenging.
    I drink and I know things. That's what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Topaz View Post
    How about allergies? We put my itchy horse on TriHist and that helped (I'd gone away for a week and came back and he had no hair left on his shoulders from rubbing.) Also oatmeal based shampoo.
    Second oatmeal-based shampoo - ideally one that doesn't have sodium laurel sulfate or sodium laureth sulfate as the detergent as they can be pretty drying to sensitive skin. (Which seems to defeat the point of using an oatmeal-shampoo. )

But it did wonders for both of my dogs when they had the itchies last year. (At different times - one was having allergies to something and the other arrived from the shelter with flea bites.)

I'm sorry, what's NTW? Is it that worm thread that was so long I gave up trying to understand it? I have a very itchy TB also, all over his body, no hives or welts. I'd love to hear more about what people do too!

Try a supplement of MSM...Its cheap, simple, all-natural, and multi-purpose. My gelding is on it for joint pain and also for COPD. Its an anti-inflammitory. Dosage should be 8000-12000mg for best results.

I have a sensitive readhead who gets a very itchy belly when the flies are out. I ordered this product http://www.aromesse.com/pages/aromaitch.htm and it definitly gives her instant relief when I slather it on.

Another lady who boards where I do introduced me to the product as she used to own a horse who suffered from sweet itch terribly. And it smells pretty good too.

great ideas!

I will look into the ones that sound promising- M. Floyd thanks you all