The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default RIP Poco the flea market pony

I have had to cope with the loss of a few horses and other pets over the years. It is never easy as I get so attached and I always struggle when they leave us. I am especially struggling with the loss of Poco, the pony my dad rescused from a low-rent flea market. My dad was driving by and saw this skinny, sad pony tied to a rusted out trailer and could not leave him there. So he bought Poco and paid them to trailer him to our farm. That was almost nine years ago.

Poco was pure pony! You wanted to hate him but you just couldn't help but like him. He was a brown and white pinto shetland and was one feisty pony.

After eight years of health and happiness at our farm he started having health problems last fall. His upper respiratory tract would swell severely and Poco would barely be able to breath. A few days at the vet clinic with IV fluids and lots of medication would usually fix him up. We could not determine the cause of this. My parents happily paid for several x-rays and more than ultrasound and scoping trying to find a cause. This pony also has the best documented bloodwork on the planet I think! It would also happen at different times of the year and he was living in different areas of our 140 acres as well.

He also had a chronic liver condition that we discovered upon doing his bloodwork last fall. We were able to get his liver enzyme values back down to normal levels after a few months but they went higher than ever, literally off the charts, the last couple of weeks. He then began exhibiting severe neurological symptoms yesterday on top of all of his issues and the decision was made by his attending vets, my parents and myself to humanely euthanize him and end his suffering. My parents were willing to keep the checkbook open for the $50 flea market pony after having already spent thousands, but the vets said they had done all they could do and that Poco was suffering.

The staff at Tennessee Equine Hospital was wonderful. His attending vet and all of the techs stuffed his mouth full of treats during his final moments while my family and I petted him. Poco crossed the bridge with a mouth full of treats and surrounded by many caring people.

I knew I would be sad as I've been through this before. But for some reason I am really struggling extra hard with the loss of Poco. He was a brat to deal with and never really did anything during his nine years with us except be a troublemaker. He could have so easily continued to fall through the cracks had my dad not driven by on that Saturday afternoon, however Poco never seemed particularly grateful for his sudden reversal of fortunes. He more seemed to think that it was about time that someone had finally begun supporting him in the style that he expected. He was such a character and so full of himself it was unreal. His best friend on the farm was Sparky the donkey (another reject that my dad discovered at a gas station of all places).

RIP Poco. I miss you dearly. Sorry this post got so long. Letting go of Poco has been harder that I ever imagined it would be.

I posted some pictures and video on my blog of Poco: http://paradigmfarms.blogspot.com/

What a wonderful life he had and what a character he was! Some of these creatures just
    leave bigger holes in our hearts than others. Godspeed Poco and many hugs to you!
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

Oh man, if that much of his personality cam through on your blog, I can only imagine what a little dynamo he must have been in person!

I'm so sorry for your loss. You'll make it through your grief in time, and you'll be able to remember him with a smile and laugh and the comfort and satisfaction that you were able to provide him with what sounds like the best life a pony could ask for.

Thanks for sharing a little of him with us.

What a cute little guy. Every picture and the video certainly shows how feisty he was.

He was a pony in every sense.

My condolences - it must have been so hard to lose a special little guy like that. But how lucky he was to have been found by your Dad and live a great 9 years.

R.I.P. Poco

what a gorgeous farm, all naughty ponies should be so lucky to live in such a pony paradise! It looks like you gave him a wonderful life.
    Fear is the rocket sauce.
    Jack Black

Big hugs to you, and bless you and your dad for making the last years of his life, as well as his passing, full of love.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Loved the blog pics and the video. Hats off to your dad, and to your family for giving him a good life. He was a lucky pony.

(Also, 'What' is cute)
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

OTB, the love, care and attention you give your charges is truly amazing. Poco was a lucky little bugger to spend those 8+ years with you, in horsey bliss.

Looks like he was a sassy little beast! I bet he was full of funny antics.

Hugs to you my friend, and to your parents. You guys did a great thing for that little pony!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

The horse world is blessed to have people like you in it. RIP Poco.

Godspeed Poco!

From just your blog you can tell what a special pony Poco was. It is no wonder he is leaving such a hole. He was a short legged ball of personality. Even though he never showed it I am sure he appreciated his wonderful care.

I am so very sorry for your loss.

The last years of his life were made wonderful by having a loving person care for him. As hard as it is for you now, you will eventually be glad that you were able to offer him a loving and safe home. Sometimes even when we can only care for an animal for a short time before they pass on, I try to remember that while I had them they were given the best care and love that they could receive on this earth.
    RIP Poco and (((hugs to you otb)))

What an adorable pony! I'm so sorry for your loss. His name and personality made me laugh though.. we have a similarly spunky old pony named Coco in our barn and I call him Coco Loco

RIP Poco.

He looks like quite a character and I'm very glad he got to live the last years of his life with dignity and love.
    Our greatest strength lies not in never having fallen, but in rising every time we fall. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm so sorry for your loss. He certainly went knowing he was loved.
    RIP Poco.

I very much enjoyed scrolling through your blog, ALL the animals at your farm look VERY content and happy. What a lovely place you have and I can tell the critters are definitely enjoying every bit of it.

Hugs!

RIP Poco. What wonderful pictures that you posted! He was adorable.

aww he was so lucky to have you guys... you could see how loved he was and how he knew it!

and can I just add that your farm is spectacular.. i was drooling all over the place.

Thanks for the pictures, Melissa. The little guy was much loved, and will be greatly missed. Ponies have a way of moving into your heart and soul, don't they?

What a cute little imp he was... Godspeed Poco . He is like a little heat seeking missile in the video... that little guy could run!

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

i can only imagine how much you and your family will miss poco. the video is so funny...i love the look on the donkey's face near the end. poco looked like he was a real toot. he was loved and will be missed. i am sorry for your loss.

What a cutie! I am so sorry for your loss