The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hairy dog and mud

Okay, so our old dog is a German Shorthair. Lovely because he doesn't trap water nor skunk smell.
    So we now have a German Shepard and it's like he's a sheep. I mean the amount of water and mud he can trap in his hair
    So, are there any tricks without creating a mud room the size of the Spelling Mansion to unmud him? My poor towels are dying!

Quote Originally Posted by LisaB View Post
    Okay, so our old dog is a German Shorthair. Lovely because he doesn't trap water nor skunk smell.
    So we now have a German Shepard and it's like he's a sheep. I mean the amount of water and mud he can trap in his hair
    So, are there any tricks without creating a mud room the size of the Spelling Mansion to unmud him? My poor towels are dying!
    Put a stock tank outside, near your door. When he gets disgusting, teach him to go into it (then shake off) before coming in the house. At first, you will have to dump him in but then soon learn it is nice and cool (the way dogs like water). You still end up with wet towels but the mud factor is gone.
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

We have a Standard Poodle, and we shave him naked. Not that it is becoming for Kobe, but I think that it would probably really embarrass a GSD. All I can say is that you have my sympathies, because I know how much mud, dirt, and ticks, one slightly over-grown poodle can harbor (until he climbs onto the couch--then it all seems to come off at once).

I have a a long haired German Shepherd and I feel your pain. I finally got so fed up with the mess that I shaved her. Yes, she looked ridiculous, but, this dog who hates being brushed and is terrified of anything mechanical, actually loves it when I pull out the big clippers and get rid of all that hair, so it must bother her too. I did find that if I clip with the direction of the hair instead of against it, it doesn't look QUITE so bad.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

This might not be an option for you, but at one house I owned, we had a dog door, the dogs had free access to the back yard 24x7 - needless to say on rainy days, both brittany's came in looking like hogs ina sty. So, we put in a dog run with a gate, with gravel in the run. On rainy days we would close the gate so that all they could have access to was the run. It kept the mud factor down by 95%

Unfortunately I can't do that same setup here, so I get 4 muddy dogs on rainy days, and I won't shave them.

We do have a hand held shower head in the bathroom, and if they get too disgusting, they get whisked into the bathroom, and showered off. Then I only have to clean the bathroom and not the whole house.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

The "bathtub" is really the only way to go, unless you want to just run the hose on him for a while.

I have a GSD, he knows when it's muddy or wet out he stops on the porch before coming in and waits to be towelled. If he's gross, we play Silence Of The Lambs. "It gets the hose." And then the towel. I keep a stack of oversized old beach towels in a closet near the door.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Aren't GSDs supposed to shed mud and water? Sort of that inner/outer coat sort of thing?

someone lied to you GoFish! They seem to trap it. But when they shake, a ton comes out but not their legs or feet it seems.
    I like the water tank idea, that might just do because he's always in the big puddles so this is an approved puddle!

GSDs and most double coated dogs absorb moisture through their belly hair and between their toes because it's easier for them to redistribute it through your clean house.
    They do shed water...rain will roll off the top guard hairs without soaking the undercoat...keeping the dog dry next to it's own skin but wet on the outside.

They make these sinks/baths for mudrooms and if I had a mudroom I'd get one in a heartbeat. They work for boots or dogs...and come in small square sizes or larger rectangle ones:
    http://www.whitleyman.com/album/bath/Boot_sink.jpg
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    They make these sinks/baths for mudrooms and if I had a mudroom I'd get one in a heartbeat. They work for boots or dogs...and come in small square sizes or larger rectangle ones:
    http://www.whitleyman.com/album/bath/Boot_sink.jpg
    This would only work for my current dog if it was surrounded with plexiglass! The rinsed hair would hold enough water to spray the whole room, even after being toweled off. I know a couple folks who have put a shower stall in the back room, works very well for rinsing the dog. Water shaken off just runs down the shower walls into the drain, no water on the room walls. They are VERY happy with the shower idea.

The horse vac on blower, does remove a LOT of water from the wet dog, allows them to dry MUCH faster than just toweling does. We use the vac to blow our dogs off after baths, sure like it for that. The vac side helps remove a bunch of hair when you get done grooming, less hair wafting about.

Our GSDs didn't seem to get that wet, even belly hair. Sure didn't coat a room or floor with wet. Present dog carries a lot more hair in winter, so we have a floor rug for the back room where she lives. That rug absorbs water from her and our boots, not slippery when wet. Easily washed with the rug machine. Dog stays in the back room when in the house. We love her dearly, but she is too big and bouncy, often wet or dirty, to come in the rest of the house. She has an older fleece pad for sleeping on, which gets washed weekly. Warm and comfy even if wet. She can go down to the back door, with plain vinyl floor if she wants a cold surface to lay on for warm days.

She gets clipped pretty short in summer, easier to groom, she is not as hot.

This time a bath, followed by SHOW SHEEN.......swear it works! Dirt just slides right off.

Well, crap, that's too easy Fairy! That's exactly what we do with Louie, the big fat hairy draft, he gets a showsheen bath every time.
    Duh.

We clip ours

Not all of her, but her belly, inside her legs and thin out her coat all round, because she's a medium hair, loves to roll in poop and mud, and LIES in the water jump, which is a horrible brown colour atm because its nearly winter.

You could maybe keep a light, synthetic dog rug on him..?