The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Psycho squirrel in the barn ... insights please.

Last Tues. night I went to throw my 2 layups late hay and my dog discovered a squirrel running across the top of a stall. It then jumped up to the rafter along the indoor (attached to the barn). I thought that was the end of it.

Next a.m. I go to pull one of my big barn sliders closed and the thing is wedged inside the door. Put the dog in the house, pulled the door in such a way it could get out. I hung there all day until it was "forced" out. It hesitated when it hit the cement aisle then took off outside.

Later in the evening, it winds up in the wash stall under a stepstool and growled at the gal that tried to shoo it out. If finally went.

Yesterday afternoon, I find my dog in the indoor arena throwing a squirrel around and it's screeching. At this point I decide to let her finish the job (though I ran into the house...I'm a wimp). That evening no sight of the squirrel and we suspect the dog buried it. She buries everything.

This a.m. farrier is coming and the squirrel is now behind the arena half door which had been locked open. My dog is there and the squirrel growls every time the dog goes by. Put dog in house.

Farrier just left. I go to deal with the thing and it's gone.

Rabid or what?

Well, if it's rabid and your dog has been at it, trap it and have it shipped for testing.

My suggestion is get someone who's a good shot with a pellet gun if it's that huge a problem.

Go to your sporting goods store and buy a pellet gun and shoot it.

Dawn

Dog just had rabies booster a month ago.

BTW, 20 years ago I had a rabid skunk on my farm. The County trapped it, then put my entire farm under quarantine for 3 months. No horses on or off the property...even though every animal I had current rabies vaccinations.

Think I'll go the gun route. Thanks.

Well I would just get in your car and start driving around close to the barn. All squirrels are suicidal and somehow drawn to moving car wheels. Problem solved! Or maybe that is just our suicide squirrels. We even have a sign warning people of suicide squirrels being around the road.

Ok well that was no help, but thats what works with ours.

Quote Originally Posted by mjrtango93 View Post
    Well I would just get in your car and start driving around close to the barn. All squirrels are suicidal and somehow drawn to moving car wheels. Problem solved!
    Now in Kentucky

Default This is really funny...

and quite demented, but I have to share:

http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu68...m/episodes.php

It's a cartoon called "suicidal squirrels", and the music just cracks me up. I ran across it by accident last year, when we were looking for a way to rid a few squirrels from the barn.

Now, everytime I see a dead squirrel on the road, I think of this cartoon...
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

Quote Originally Posted by Blkarab View Post
    and quite demented, but I have to share:

http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu68...m/episodes.php

It's a cartoon called "suicidal squirrels", and the music just cracks me up. I ran across it by accident last year, when we were looking for a way to rid a few squirrels from the barn.

Now, everytime I see a dead squirrel on the road, I think of this cartoon...

Now that's my kind of humor!

So sid, all you have to do is leave out a few buckets of paint, and voila! Problem solved.
    Bloom where your horse plants you.

Exclamation animal control

call animal control and see if they can help. at least loan you a trap
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

It sounds like some kind of unkillable zombie squirrel.

No vaccine is 100% effective. I'd risk the inconvenience of 3-month quarantine and have the squirrel tested.

Just a thought, but could the squirrel have a nest and some babies hidden somewhere in your barn? Might explain why it continues to hang around and screech at people. Babies might be too young to move yet. I know I'm in the minority but I like squirrels.

That's entirely possible as a squirrel nested inside my indoor arena "kick-wall" last winter. And my dog keeps digging at that area. I'll bet that's exactly what has happened.

sid -

I got 10$ that says the squirrel has a nest of babies.

Actually, I don't really have 10$. I have horses which means I'm perpetually broke.

But I still bet you got a nest of babies somewhere.

Bingo. Haven't seen the squirrel again, but I don't think my dog damaged her considering she looked fine yesterday (almost 24 hrs. after their brawl, when presumably she was protecting her nest).

I also suspect because she's lactating she keeps making runs into the barn from the indoor to snarf up bits of spilled grain. It all makes sense.

I had that happen many years ago with a grey fox. She would hide behind the woodpile during broad daylight, watching me until I'd go into the house...then she'd come right into the carport to eat the barn cats kibble. A few weeks later she arrived one evening with 3 kits.

I've locked off the arena doors from the dog so she can't get in there now.

Quote Originally Posted by silver2 View Post
    It sounds like some kind of unkillable zombie squirrel.
    Not unlike any mother of newborns....

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    Just a thought, but could the squirrel have a nest and some babies hidden somewhere in your barn? Might explain why it continues to hang around and screech at people. Babies might be too young to move yet. I know I'm in the minority but I like squirrels.
    They are cute but so are rats!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Rats with fluffy tails. My husband has an ongoing war with them - he planted a walnut tree a few years ago and now it is bearing the squirrels want a share. Honestly, talk about dog in a manger - there are ample nuts to go around, yet hubby guards his tree with passion. He's even got the dogs all wired up. But if you get up close and personal with them they can be very aggressive.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Default Total Hijack

all the squirreltalk reminded me:

Many years ago, out on a Fall walk in the Forest Preserve, DH showed me how to lure a squirrel to you by tapping one stone on another.
    We were concentrating on one of the little buggers edging closer & closer through the fallen leaves...when we heard rustlerustlerustle behind us and turned to see no less than 20! of the little vermin creeping up on us.

We stood up verrrrrrry slowly...and backed away.....followed by at least 21 pairs of beady little black eyes> OO

Foxtrot: give your DH a break - you know how men are about their nuts...
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015