The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boot recommendations - Tread?

Can anyone tell me if they have a field or dress boot that has a good tread on the bottom that ISN'T Mountain Horse? MH boots don't fit my arches, but I LOVE the thick stirrup-designed tread on the bottom. I'm shopping for new tall boots, and while I usually wear Ariat Paddock boots comfortably, my local tack store doesn't have any Ariat tall boots I can examine the bottoms of.

The boots I'm replacing are very old slick-leather soled, so that's what I'm hoping to get away from. My current boots are lovely and they were free, but it's time to move up and save this pair for sidesaddle.

Is there another budget conscious tall boot that you would recommend? I don't have a ton of English tack stores around to look in person, hence needing advice here. I'm hoping to stay under $200, but I'm also willing to search endlessly online and buy used if I can find them.

I have Ariat Field boots. They fit me really well....almost like they were custom. They have the rubber tread sole that has held up very well and is very comfortable for me.

I'm thinking this is the version I have (not in you price range--but I think that they have others that are)...but I've had them several years now.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/ariat-c...38366/cn/1482/
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I have der dau for field boots, Cavallo for dressage boots.

My der daus are super old and super comfy and I can walk around in them all day.

Your old boots sound like my old boots. Mine had gotten so slick that I was putting SaddleTite on the soles to keep my feet from flying out of the stirrups (that does NOT work when it is 98 degrees out!!!). I ended up with Ariats, and they have great tread on them. Rubber and grippy, but not chunky. And like BFNE, mine fit me so well they almost look custom (And I TOTALLY scored because I found mine in the consignment of our local tack shop!).

You can have the boots you have resoled if you like all the boot except the sole. I have had many, many boots resoled and it works every time!
    It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.

another idea is putting an insole w/ the right arch support for you into a pair of the Mountain Horse boots you like.

Default Thanks for the ideas, folks.

Looks like I'll probably start shopping for some tall ariats, since they have more models in my price range than MH does, and I'm fairly confident they'll fit.

I thought about having my old boots re-soled, but didn't get a chance to go down to my local shoe repair place to see what kind of rubber sole they could give the boots. For the next two weekends of clinics and a HT, I'll be wrapping my stirrups with vet-wrap!

Try looking for some stick on grips from your local Walmart or equivalent. They have sand paper like grips for the bottom of your foot wear that can help. They are really for heels and stuff that are so slick on tiled floor but they work ok for boots too, especially if it's only temporary. I paid $2.50 for 2 pairs and put 2 on each boot.

BFNE and Yellowbritches, about how much do you think your Ariats dropped from when they were new until now? The regular height is too short for me and the talls are too tall to be comfortable in the back with any bend in my knee. Like the OP, my arches need support. I'm so comfortable in my Ariat paddock boots and expect that the same will happen with the field boots...just have to have the right height though.

thanks!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Quote Originally Posted by RunForIt View Post
    BFNE and Yellowbritches, about how much do you think your Ariats dropped from when they were new until now? The regular height is too short for me and the talls are too tall to be comfortable in the back with any bend in my knee. Like the OP, my arches need support. I'm so comfortable in my Ariat paddock boots and expect that the same will happen with the field boots...just have to have the right height though.

thanks!

Probably about an inch. I remember getting rubbed fairly raw behind my knees when they were new. They are still tall enough now....but barely and only because they have that spanish top (taller on the outside than inside). If you can easily bend your knee without them hitting you behind...they are too short for new.

They did break in pretty quickly though...so that was good...but it was initially a pain.

Talk to the tack store people though...they will have a good sense. And also note that mine don't have zippers. For some reason, I'm thinking that they do not drop as much if you have zippers.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Mine are still pretty new to me...I think I've only ridden in them half a dozen times. I do think if they have zippers (mine do) they don't drop quite as much. But like BFNE said, talk to the people at the tack shop. They usually know. And, because they DO have a pretty high Spanish top, if they get a little too low, they usually still look just fine.

The OP needs a pair of Tingleys! http://www.shoebuy.com/tingley-5100-.../144773/335854

I always wear these on my good boots when I'm just walking around--even if it's not muddy out. Because they are rubber they have great grip if you ride in them too. I know several top eventers who wear them regularly on cross country for the grip.