The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Colour turn off or turn on?

Would colour turn you off a horse? I mean like pinto, palomino, buckskin...? How much does color play a role and should it? How many are breeding colored warmbloods? Do you like them? Are they popular?
    Anyone own them? What discipline are you in? Are they registered and with what registry?

I personally love them and have been wanting to buy one if I got the chance. I am a big fan of the pinto colored ones
    And I've been wondering how marketable they are? I would love to bred them some day.

Thanks

There is still a large portion of people who barely tolerate white markings much less pintos, apps and dilute colors! I love them but if a horse was a color I didn't like he'd have to be really really really good in everything else for me to buy him.

Because I like color I will pick them out fast. This is good if your horse is good. It isn't so good if your horse (or rider) has some major flaw or screwup!!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

When purchasing for me I put color after all else (athletic ability, conformation, soundness etc all come first). That said I am not a fan of colored horses, but that is just personal preference. I am really not a fan of chrome on a bay or chestnut either. When my colt was born he had a squiggly star and one sock. I was elated. Not much white! Woo Hoo! LOL It's a pet peeve of mine to have to keep all that white sparkling clean. Ugh. I own two geys and though I love them to death they are just a PITA to keep clean. I am also a believer in the myths of white legs and hooves. I groomed a mare once who every spring got skin crud on her hind white sock only. Have a friend who's horse gets scratches constantly on his two white socks. I even had to roll my eyes when my colt was born with his white sock stocked up. They may be just myths but . . . give me a nice solid bay any day.
    '10 Dolce Latte G - Thoroughbred Mare (chestnut at that!)
    '12 Genever - KWPN/Thoroughbred Mare

Color is a double edged sword. It can really make you stand out in a crowd, but then too all your errors are hard to miss. A plain bay can hide in the crowd, but four white stockings or a flashy paint has to be as good or better then the crowd, because they will get more "screen time".

I like color, within reason. No pintaloosa's. I like smokey black, roans, and high whites on any base color.
    Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Greys and Pintos are nice to look at but I would never want to own one. I have had some experience with white socks/hooves being harder to keep clean and healthy so the less white the better although I doubt I'd ever not buy a horse because of a white sock. Also, personally I like symmetry which goes agaisnt the trend of a lot of flashy irregular white markings I've seen in North America. Since nature isn't perfect a simple white star or nothing will do for me. That said my personal favorite colours are a nice, clear red bay and deep buckskin colours. Since I don't rate colour as the most important most likely my next horse will be bay since there are many of those to chose from. Colour preference makes no sense but somehow to me those really rich colours make a horse look fitter and softens any confirmation flaws. Black and Black/Brown horses are nice but the colour silhouettes the horse and makes you see every angle. If I was to buy one that horse better have great confirmation and be in top condition otherwise it will be at a disadvantage in my eyes. But just my two cents on the matter. Does that make sense to anyone else or am I just colour blind?

A good horse is NEVER a bad color!

DDB is right, a good horse is never a bad color.

I'm not the biggest fan of grays, especially fleabitten grays -- of course I now own one.

I agree that it doesn't matter if it's colored if it's a good horse. However, as the owner of three paints, one of which is as huge and white as Moby Dick, the great white whale, I would gravitate toward mud-colored horses now.

It's kind of like how they say women have to work twice and hard and do twice as well as men to be considered an equal -- if you own a horse with a lot of white, you have to do twice as much grooming just to not look grubby, let alone to look great!

Conformation is the best color!!! GOOD conformation, that is!

That being said, I cannot STAND roans, especially chestnut roans -- but 4 or 5 years ago tried very hard to buy and import a chestnut roan mare from the UK. They wouldn't sell her -- but in spite of her color, she was just LOVELY and I was willing to overlook it!

I've come to LOVE palomino with chrome, simply because my favorite ponies happen to be that color. I'm not a particular fan of mealy mouth bay -- takes the right horse to pull that off. Chestnut is an "eh" color for me (have tons of them), don't love it, don't hate it, but I'd rather some OTHER color than chestnut. And I do love chrome, but don't particularly care for pintos (or Appaloosas), but that's just my own color preferences! I know lots of others love them -- and I have to say, a really good pinto sport horse like Art Deco, for instance, really is breathtaking!
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Since I breed them, I obviously like them very very much!

And there are absolutely a following of clients that are very specific in what they want - and that isnt even "buckskin with some chrome" but a "light buttermilk buckskin with 4 high stockings and a white face and if possible, a little bit (but not too much!) body splishes as well"

Some clients dont want a smoky black "because it doesnt look like a real dilute" and others WANT a smoky black "because it doesnt look like a dilute!"

I personally dont like the pinto (tobiano) colours but there is a HUGE following of purchasers that just love them!

So - thank God for us breeders that there are some people that love chrome and others that dont. It then allows all of us to find buyers for our horses depending on what criteria is important to them ...

I love all colours, that make each horse unique. Love the paints, the greys, the flashy socks and stockings, all appaloosa colours, but also love the plain chestnuts, bays and blacks. Colour truly is the last factor that I consider before buying.

Nonetheless, I would also agree the flashier the markings, the more attentions is drawn towards the horse, and therefore, makes it hard to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
    I have had some experience with white socks/hooves being harder to keep clean and healthy so the less white the better although I doubt I'd ever not buy a horse because of a white sock.
    The hoof problems you experienced were in no way attributable to the horse's markings. It was nothing more then a coincidence. The pink hooves = soft hooves idea has been proven to be an old wives tale time and time again.

http://www.horsechannel.com/horse-he...oof-myth-26038

I absolutely agree about the extra cleaning hassle however!

Personally, I like uniquely colored horses. I'm not afraid to stand out in the arena I guess. It's really nothing more then a matter of personal preference.

Some people like to wear animal prints while others wouldn't be caught dead in them. Same concept. It has more to do with a person's personality then anything else.

Of course, conformation, movement and disposition are of the utmost importance but nowadays there are so many "colored" horses to choose from that it's really not difficult to find a uniquely colored horse that has all of the above.
    www.SilverSpringFarm.net
    Breeder of rare, high quality Silver Dapple Paints and Quarter Horses.

Pintos/paints are okay. I don't like "yellow" colored horses - buckskins, duns, palominos or grullas. I used to ride western...didn't like them then either. I wouldn't buy one...

Default color

I personally dont care for paint colored or grey horses but I like crome so some is ok but not too much. That being said I live in close proximity to probable one of the best colored sport horse breeders in the US. Marion Oconnor has been breeding hanoverian bloodlines with a small amount of paint to create a black and white overo sport horses. She registers her horses with Rinlander and they inspect very well. She has her blood lines out to 7/8ths Hano and 15/16ths. She uses the best bloodlines and loves the black. You should ck out her website.

http://cocolallacreeksporthorses.com/

I have always been a classic plain bay kind of girl. That being said I find myself wanting a palamino or buckskin horse, with chrome.... lots of chrome. And I must say that I have become quite obsessed with them since seeing "Faux Finish" one of Gauranteed Gold's get. She would be phenomenal as a plain bay but is absolutely untouchable (in my opinion) with her unusual colour. If I could pick a "my little pony" she would be it! So I suppose I have become a fan with an acquired taste for unusual coloured hunters!

And I must say that I have become quite obsessed with them since seeing "Faux Finish" one of Gauranteed Gold's get. She would be phenomenal as a plain bay but is absolutely untouchable (in my opinion) with her unusual colour. If I could pick a "my little pony" she would be it!
    Aw - thanks so much!!! I am so flattered ...

And as an update, I have decided to hang onto her for the forseeable future instead of selling her, and with that in mind, she was bred yesterday to Redwine and I am crossing my fingers that all went well and she will be confirmed safely in foal in a couple weeks time. THAT will be one phenomenal baby whether it is dilute or non dilute and should have a nice amount of chrome as well ...

Thank you again

Well, obviously I love a nice tobiano - nothing like entering the show ring and having the judge wake up But I also love a shiny bay or black, yum, especially one with some chrome or dapples. In reality, I do believe a good horse is any color - although I shy away from grays (as beautiful as they can be) and Appies (although I love the look of a flashy blanket or a leopard) because of the health issues. No other reason except the whole skin cancer thing scares me.
    www.MysticOakRanch.com Friesian/Warmblood Crosses, the Ultimate Sporthorse
    Director, WTF Registry

Up until the past year I've always had dark bays with minimal white. I'm now owned by 2 pintos (3 if you include my daughters welsh cross pony we've had for years now).

I have to admit I'm not a fan of chestnuts.
    Cloverfox Stables

I am known for being anti-bling Make it a plain bay with as little white as possible thank-you-very-much!

I am not a fan of the four high whites, it reminds me of the carriage horses.

Plus the hassle to keep it clean... Ugh.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn